Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

Susie15

Folfox - how many cycles possible?

Hi All ,

I've got peritoneal and liver mets. My treatment was changed from folfiri to folfox in Nov 2017. I'm just wandering what's the longest anyone has been on folfox for? My onc says he has a patient who has been on in abourt a year with treatment breaks.
Thanks
Sue

Chelts

Have you been considered for cytoreductive and HIPEC surgery?

Jaap

Hi @Susie15...my mother has been on folfox for 16 months, but 9 months of those have been on a chemo break after a great response to the first 11 cycles.
She's had 14 cycles of folfox so far.

Susie15

@Jaap thank you for responding

Susie15

Hi @Chelts
Basingstoke turned me down last year. Christies told me to stop all chemo for 6 weeks so that they could have accurate up to date scans last August and that's when liver mets were picked up 😔 cant have immunotherapy due to type bpwel cancer

Chelts

There’s others - my op was at Selly Oak Good Hope hospital.

Jaap

Hi @Susie15. There seems to be a bit of healthy competition on this forum on the number of cycles of folfiri people can continue to receive.
I think the neuropathy side effects of folfox means that it can be difficult to hit the 20, 30 and so on cycles you see being reached on folfiri.

janie waterhouse

I finished Folfox treatment on 10th October I had 6 treatments in all . I completed the course although 2 treatments were delayed due me having diarrhoea. I now feel really well apart from feet and hands tingling abit . Consultant said that this would hopefully improve in warmer weather. 😀. Now awaiting hopefully stoma reversal .

Susie15

@Chelsea @Jaap Janice Waterhouse thank you for your response

Jaap

Hi @Susie15. Thanks for starting the thread. My mother has done 15 cycles of folfox now. Hoping to hear of others on this forum who have done more! ☺

Jaap

Mother having 21st cycle of folfox this Friday. It will be folfox losing its effect against the cancer rather than the side effects which will cause my mother to stop receiving it.