New to the community?

KarenB

Hello ! Op booked for Friday- wish me luck 😁

Hi I'm new here so please bear with me .
I'm Karen and I had my colonoscopy on 18 February- the day after my 53rd birthday.
The colonoscopy was carried out by a surgeon who took a biopsy but told me there and then that he was 99% sure it was cancer. He was right. Within a week I'd had MRI and CT scans which showed I was T3 N1 M0 . I am scheduled for surgery on Friday 29th and will have a stoma which will hopefully be reversible.

I'm strangely relieved that the cancer was found and that that at least something is going to be done about it.

I'm just a teensy bit worried about my son age 22 being left to look after my pets( cats and tropical fish), although the dogs are going to stay with my parents whilst I'm in hospital and I'm going there too recover post op too.
This is my first time posting here although I've been stalking the site since my diagnosis. You all are very encouraging and helpful so I just wanted to say hi :x::x:

greyhound gal

Good morning @KarenB! It looks like I’m the lucky one to welcome you first! So welcome to this fantastic forum though it’s a shame you had to join the club to get here. It really is the best place for advice, support or just to get things of your chest!
I know exactly what you mean about the relief! When the consultant told my husband and myself I had Bowel cancer, I think he was surprised by our response. At long last we had an answer to why I’d been so ill for months! Although it wasn’t a big surprise.
Keep posting! I’m sure you’ll have questions about the surgery etc, although if you’ve been following the site you might already know loads!!
Many best wishes
Wendy :x::x:

Bear G

Hi @KarenB
Welcome to the forum. I’m sorry to hear about your diagnosis but very glad you’ve found us, I hope you’ll find this a source of support.

I love your attitude to all this and completely agree with you. You know what’s wrong, you’ve caught it before it spread to other organs and your team are going to sort it all out! And you’ve farmed your dogs out to your folks so that’s a weight off your mind.
Now you can clearly focus on getting ready for Friday.

Bowel Cancer UK who run this forum, have loads of really good booklets that may be of help, I especially recommend Your Operation as it’s got some very good tips, you can find them all here:
www.bowelcanceruk.org.uk/about-bowel-cancer/our-publications/

I’d recommend having an eye mask and earplugs to help you sleep and downloading lots of films and tv shows onto your iPad.

We’ll be her for you.

Big hugs
Bear
:x::x:

bettebette

Hello @KarenB, sorry that you are having to join our club, but welcome all the same.
I felt similar to to you when I was diagnosed, and as you say at least now you can move forward and get on with the treatment.
Very best wishes for Friday :x::x::x:

charleyb

Hi @KarenB welcome from me too, wishing you tons of luck with your Op :x::x:

Baxter2

Hi @KarenB and welcome to the forum from me too!

It sounds like you've already got your head around all of this and I'm sure the positivity I sense will be of enormous benefit in your recovery!

I'm sure your son will take great care of your cats and fish and your parents will care for your dogs and also you! Just picture yourself in a couple of weeks recovering at home surrounded by your your family and your beloved pets.

Time to concentrate on yourself now and get these nice PJ's and slippers laid out ready to pack!

Keep in touch with us if you can.

Sending love and very best wishes for Friday!

Karen💜💚💙💛❤️

island girl

@KarenB just wanted to say hello, keep strong, take one day at a time & one step at a time. Will be thinking about you on Friday.We are all with you, love & big hugs. 🤗 :x::x::x:

Karen17

Hi @KarenB. I'm sure you'll get a lot of support and advice from this forum. Good luck for Friday :x::x:

mops

Hi @KarenB all the best for your op and recovery, sounds like you have everything you need in place, remember to take it easy :x::x::x:

Pixie O

Hi @KarenB, just adding my hi and wishing you good luck for your surgery on Friday. I'm sure your 22 year old will do a better job than my 17 year old at holding the fort 😉

Gypsy

Dear @KarenB. I'm sending love and hugs for your operation- you really will be fine and in great hands and we'll be beside you now every step of the way and thinking of you!
Love Gypsyxxxx

cyclingjohnny

good luck on friday with the op, and wishing you a speedy recovery, cheers john. :x::x::x:

Salgal

Hi and welcome @KarenB you will loads of support here 24/7 Wishing you good luck on Friday and a speedy recovery hugs :x::x:

Lizalou

Hello @KarenB
Wishing you all the best, as a fellow ileostomy patient (now successfully reversed).
And don't worry about your 22 year old, as a fellow mum of 20-something's, I know that are far more capable than they appear, when they have to be.
:x::x:

Redhead

Dear @karen, all the very best for Friday, I left my family in charge of a dog, a cat and 3 tropical fish tanks back in February (all survived). When given reason and opportunity to step up to the mark they do, they just choose not to when mums around, don't worry about them just concentrate on yourself, take care :x::x:

lola14

Hi @KarenB as above your pets will be fine. I worried more about my dogs than myself, but they were good and what a welcome you will get when you come home. Be good to yourself, new jammies etc. I had an APR and was home in 1-week result same as yours, and surprised myself so take care and we will all be thinking about you. "Hugs" Linda

mem

Hello from me too @KarenB, and here’s a whole load of good luck for Friday!!
All the best, lots of love :x::x:

DianeS

Hi @KarenB and a big welcome to our forum. Sorry to hear you have been diagnosed with BC but I’m sure you will find our forum a huge help. Everyone is very supportive, and it’s a great place to be able to ask those little questions that you might not want to ask someone else. Wishing you lots of luck for your surgery on Friday. Love Diane :x::x:

jj

Hello @KarenB
All the very best for Friday. Stay positive and most of your battle is won. Fish, cats and dogs will be fine. Be good to yourself. Have a pamper day befor Thursday. You deserve it, a facial, manicure and pedicure. I think only clear nail varnish. But these will give you a boost.
Keep us informed.
Best wishes
Jane

Jenbo

Cats never let people forget to feed them! They have very loud voices. Lots of sticky notes around the house where your son will see them - fridge, food cupboard etc usually does the trick! All will be well. I took so much stuff with me into hospital but used very little. I couldn’t concentrate to read but was glad I had the extra length phone charger recommended here, something I wouldn’t have thought about. I took nighties but wore the pretty hospital gowns instead as they were more comfortable. Good luck. The waiting is the worst bit. I was terrified but now if I was told I’d got to have another operation tomorrow I wouldn’t hesitate.

EssexDan

Good luck @KarenB .