Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

EssexDan

Cycle 3 ... chest pains again!

Oh guys.
Im afraid to report that im 3 days into cycle 3 and even on reduced capecitabine have had the chest pains again. (Started 2 hours ago).
Thats 3 cycles... 3 days in at around the same time. Too much of a coincidence to be ignored now huh??!!

EssexDan

Thanks @MrsMoors .
Been following you and your husband since you joined the site.

MrsMoors

Hi Dan, he had gastro-esophageal reflux which causes chest pain like your gonna have a heart attack, but its normally so.ething to do with eating but it was happening at random times. He has been on omeprazole ever since and has had no pain since, they have put him back on it today in anticipation of his folfox regime which starts in may. Might be worth enquiring :x::x:

EssexDan

Hi all.. just an update.
Restarted cape yesterday and had BAD chest pains all day today! So have been told to stop again.
Why are the capecitabine so hard for my body to tolerate!?!
Yet another oncologist meeting next week now to discuss.
Colorectal nurse advised due to recent clear CEA and scan they will probably stop chemo 5 cycles short!
Oh well. Fingers crossed I've done all o can.

determinedjoan

Yes, u have. V well done 👍 u.
Capecitabine defo doesn’t suit everybody.
Really hope you feel much better tomorrow. All v best :x:

Marnypots

when I was on the capecitabine I had mild chest pains and really bad discomfort mine turned out to be a hiatus hernia I was also due to have 8 courses of the cape but after 4 I couldn’t cope anymore but a report came out at the time and I can’t remember the name but it was to say 4 rounds was what was needed so keep strong you have done so well all ready

Bear G

Hi @EssexDan
Really sorry to hear this is persisting. Have you called your team to let them know?
I can’t remember, have they carried out any cardiac tests ( ecg etc)?
Not all drugs suit everyone, it may be worth asking about alternatives or they may want to try reducing the dose or trying you on 5FU (related drug by as it’s intravenous it may be better tolerated for you.
Big hugs
Bear
:x::x:

EssexDan

Hi @Bear G . Mate it has been a blooming nightmare with the constant chest pains.
Yes team have been informed and have been following there instructions. They have said 1 more go on cycle 4. Reduce capecitabine down to 2 tablets twice daily. If it happens again they are calling it quits apparently.

Bear G

Hi @EssexDan
I can tell you that a number of capcitabine dose reductions made a huge difference to me, fingers crossed it works for you.

EssexDan

Thanks @Bear G. What dosage are you currently on if you dont mind me asking?

Bear G

Hi @EssexDan
I’m on long term maintenance chemo, I’ve been taking capcitabine for almost 5 years, so the dosing is different.
I’m on around 1600mg / day.

annie50C

Hey @EssexDan hoping lower dose works for you matey ! What sort of dose are you on now ? Do they know what is causing it or just a general reaction to Cap ? Good luck for the next one Dan, thinking of you xxx Annie :x::x:

EssexDan

Hi @annie50C on cycle 1 and 2 ìnitially was on 4000mg a day!
I notice in @Bear G last reply he is on 1600mg a day.
They reduced this to 3000mg a day for cycle 3.
Not sure what they'll do next, but oncologist and colorectal nurse both suggested 1 more try then give up!
They have no idea whats causing it. Yesterday was horrendous again, spent all day sitting clutching my chest whist felt like a lorry was parked on it.
Had full cardio tests and nothing wrong with the heart.
Will let you know what happens next. :x::x:

Bear G

@EssexDan
Initially I was on 3000 and it was reduced over several cycles, but please remember I’m on long term maintenance chemo, I’ve been on it since January 2014.
:x::x:

determinedjoan

Wish u much better day today @EssexDan . Thinking of u & sending love, hugs 🤗 & healing vibes :x:

Tiffany

@EssexDan

So sorry to hear that this is still a problem for you. How bloody frustrating! I know I've mentioned this before but I just wonder if it is worth getting a second opinion even if just for your peace of mind and if they both agree at least you know you have done all you can and no regrets.

Tiffany :x:

Clancy

Hi @EssexDan, sorry to hear you are still experiencing chest pain. If everything is normal bloods, ECG etc, I wonder if it is gastric related? I know it's clutching at straws. The only reason I suggest this, Doxycycline says on the packet do not lie flat for two hours, I did, I had the most horrendous chest pain, and was convinced I had developed angina. Afterwards the penny dropped and I realised it was gastric.:x:

Karen17
Quote from @Clancy:
Hi @EssexDan, sorry to hear you are still experiencing chest pain. If everything is normal bloods, ECG etc, I wonder if it is gastric related?

Hi @EssexDan
After my admission for chest pain (no cause was found) my anti-sickness tablets were changed and I was prescribed Omeprazole and Gaviscon liquid. Might have been a coincidence but I didn't have any more chest pain. Best wishes and hope things start to improve :x::x:

EssexDan

Hi @Tiffany . Had a second opinion yesterday. He said he would be doing exactly the same as my guy. So at least this shows 2 different people are on the same page treatment wise.
:x:

Tiffany

@EssexDan

I guess that is good news then - at least you know where you stand. Really feel for you - how aggravating! Having said that your scans are clear so this mop up was hopefully a "nice to have" and not essential. Tiffany :x:

Wanderlust83

Hi @EssexDan, good to see you again yesterday (again small world!) Glad you managed to get a second opinion, but still really frustrating. Glad your bloods are looking good!