Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

Wanderlust83

Cycle 2 for mum

Hi everyone. My mum had her second intravenous chemo last Monday - her first one left her vomiting so they stopped it and admitted her. This time they reduced the dose by 20%, they managed to get the picc line in this time and everything was looking better and then about 20 minutes before the end she started throwing up again. Thankfully it wasn't as chronic as last time and this time they let her go home once they were satisfied she'd stopped (although she was so weak she then fell down the stairs but that's another story!) Now they're talking about maybe increasing the duration of her chemo from 3 hours to 4 or 6 so it isn't quite intense but we'll see the doctor to discuss this in a few weeks. She still feels sick and is really weak, so I just wondered if anyone has some advice on how to get her more energy. She's eating fine (although she can't taste it), she's struggling with drinking but I'm forcing her, and I know they say to get more energy you should do more, but obviously after a while she feels exhausted and has to lie down again. I just wondered if anyone has any ideas.

Kirsty

Gypsy

@Wanderlust83 . Personally I think that being on chemo is like nothing else that you go through and I would advise that your Mum listens to her body and if she needs to rest then rest and if she can manage to do something, then brilliant. Forcing yourself to be active if you feel rubbish is not my idea of fun especially when you are sick and weak. I hope that your Mum feels better soon or has 'good days' while on chemo at the very least. Love to you both, Gypsyxxx

Lirio345

Hello @Wanderlust83, I am sorry to hear that your mum is having a rough ride. Just to reassure you it is standard practice to reduce the chemo dose and/or duration over which the drip is given when someone has a bad reaction. The fatigue can also be a side effect of chemo as you probably know. I agree with @Gypsy that it is important that your mum listens to her body and builds up her stamina very gradually, starting with a walk round the garden for example, and building up to longer walks. It would be great if you could help her find something she likes to drink; my tipple is elderflower cordial (very diluted) as I find this cuts through the metallic taste. In addition, your mum may well be depressed and this of course makes us lethargic. Please stay in touch ...... is your mum interested in joining this forum, there is so much support on offer. Take care, Kim

tmac63

@Wanderlust83
Hi Kirsty
I went through the same when I had my chemo, I had a picc line fitted before my chemo and it made everything a lot easier.
I also had my chemotherapy over 5 hours, it did help a lot with the sickness. As for your mum being active I wouldn't worry about it. I had days of being in bed or on the couch, I basically did very little.
Chemotherapy is very hard and it effects us in many ways, I lost my tastebuds everything tasted like lard, I had times when I couldn't sleep for days due to the steroids and then I would crash for days as soon as I started feeling ok my next chemo was due, so it was just a vicious circle.
The hardest thing for me was always thinking I should be doing something, being a mum (even though all my children are adults) I still felt guilty about being in bed all the time and having them do things for me it was hard.
Please tell your mum that it's ok to rest and that any time she does feel ok'ish she should take time for herself, be kind to herself.
I hope things get better for your mum, also remember to look after yourself.

Big hugs 🤗 Tracey :x:

Wanderlust83

Thanks @tmac63 @Gypsy @Lirio345 . We went out for a walk today and she said she felt better for it. I think she just feels a bit upset that she can't do much and like you @tmac63 she thinks she should be doing something even though I tell her not to worry. For the last round she got better in the second week so hopefully next week she'll perk up a little and the next cycle will be a little easier on her if they slow down the infusion. And @Lirio345 unfortunately she's a technophobe so she won't be joining for the moment!

greyhound gal

Good morning @Wanderlust83! Really good that your Mum was able to go out for a walk yesterday, I hope she’s able to again today🤞
I think being outside really picks my spirits up.
I struggle too with not doing as much as I think I should, but now I’m in my third cycle I’m listening to my body better, and just a bit here and there. I’m looking forward to doing 20mins of gardening this morning!
Best wishes to you and your Mum, Wendy :x::x:

Wanderlust83

Thanks @greyhound gal. She still feels a little sick today but I took her out to lunch and she felt better for an airing - like you she feels better just getting out of the house. I hope the gardening went well for you! :x::x:

greyhound gal

Thank you @Wanderlust83 it did! I even nipped to the garden centre to buy some new plants, and planted them! Really glad your Mum enjoyed her lunch out :x::x:

EssexDan

Hi @Wanderlust83 just saying hi on your thread too. Glad that mum is feeling better now. :x:

Wanderlust83

Thanks @EssexDan. Hope all goes well with the tablets today.

EssexDan

Thanks @Wanderlust83 . Popped them at 8am. So we'll see what happens.