Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

NatalieH

Treatment plan 2 types of chemo on rectal cancer and aorta lymph nodes

Good morning on this lovely sunny day! I have recently been diagnosed with rectal cancer and it has spread to lymph nodes in pelvis and near aorta - I am to meet oncologist but was told on Thurs what my treatment plan would be- no operation and no cure but they are going to deal with rectal cancer first (apparently they can’t treat both areas at the same time) with 5 1/2 weeks of chemo tablets and radiotherapy this apparently continues to work for 10 weeks then they will give my body a rest and start me on intravenous chemo to try and attack lymph nodes area I wondered if anyone has had similar and how you were? I read about Aorta lymph nodes and it doesn’t sound good - I am staying very positive but do feel I need to be ready for any eventualities but it always gives me a scare when you google something. Also someone told me to try CBD oil while having chemo to stop sickness and wondered if anyone had tried it? Thank you Natslie :x::x:

Bear G

Hi @NatalieH

It’s good that you’re going to be starting your treatment soon so you can start feeling that you’re dealing with all this. It’s also fab that you’re keeping your positivity going strong, that’s so important.

It’s such a shame that some healthcare professionals feel the need to label things like ‘no cure’, it’s unhelpful and unnecessary. As reassurance, there are lots of us on here who’re controlling the cancer long term and living very full and fun lives. There are also lots who were told they were inoperable who went on to have successful ops.

You asked about cbd oil for sickness, I’d definitely suggest talking to your oncologist about this as well as any supplements you’re planning to take as there are potential interactions.
You may not get any side effects at all, and if you do they could be very mild, fingers crossed.

The best advice is to see your chemo as your friend that’s there to help you. It’s a positive thing.

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck for your oncologist appointment, remttp write down all your questions beforehand.

Big hugs
Bear
:x::x:

NatalieH

Thanks Bear-I’ll do that :x:

HH79

Hi @NatalieH I’ve had chemo for almost 3 yrs for para aortic lymphs and am NED from CT’s. If you shrink them enough, can have radiotherapy on them google SABR - need to be less than 3cm and not more than a few I think. Lots love :x::x::x::x:

NatalieH

Hi HH79 -thanks for that I’ve no idea how many I have or what size but I will ask -I’m sorry I’m all new to this what does NED from CT’s mean? And 3years seems a long time on chemo have you kept quite well? Thanks Nat :x::x:

Bear G

Hi @NatalieH
To tag someone you need to add @ to their name, this means they’ll be alerted that you’ve mentioned them. Tagging @HH79

NED is No Evidence of Disease, it’s effectively a clear scan and is the best news possible.

Lots of us are on long term chemo to help keep things under control. For example, I’ve been on it for over 5 years so far.

So there are generally a few different approaches to chemo, initially it’s often more aggressive, aiming to shrink the cancer. Then there’s a maintenance option which is long term, it’s often lower dose and more intense, the objective being to control growth.

Whether maintenance chemo is offered depends on a few things such as how fast the cancer grows. The other option being ‘watchful waiting’ where you don’t have treatment but have blood tests and scan then zap smithing that appears.

It’s just a matter of having other options.

Big hugs
Bear
:x::x:

NatalieH

Thank you @Bear-I an useless at anything technical that makes things a bit clearer Thanks :x::x::x:

lisa7

Hi @NatalieH sending you best wises for your planned treatment. My father also had radiation and chemo tablets for rectal tumour. Buy two thermometers to monitor tempetures. I got them in boots. One in handbag and another thermother at home. Temp can rise during treatment. If 37.5 contact hosiptal. If below normal of 36 say 35.6 keep warm. Turn heating up.This forum has helped us so much follow myself and my sister @Aisling00 my sisters has dad journey up. Main objective is to keep strong and positive. Have a good support team of family around you. We will all help with advice on this forum. Sending you hugs love from lisa :x::x:

NatalieH

Thank you @lisa7 I’ll have a look :x::x::x: