Gary Logue Colorectal Nurse Award 2019
Nominate an outstanding colorectal nurse today

Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

TeacherS

Oxi round two has floored me!

After my first infusion I felt a bit woozy and my voice went funny. I had the sensitivity to cold but just wore gloves and felt okay the following day.
Yesterday I had jelly legs to the point I feared I might collapse. Me eyes felt heavy and not only did my voice go funny but at one point I lost the ability to speak properly at al! I have read today that these are all possible side effects.
Today I still feel very wobbly on my feet.
If this was round two I am terrified of what round three will do to me in three weeks. Everyone else in the chemo unit seems to walk out just as they walked in.
Any advice or similar experiences?

ElaineR

Aw you poor soul. So sorry to hear you’re having such a bad day. Hope you feel a bit better tomorrow 😘

MrsMoors

My partner gets the jelly legs after treatment, it's scary and funny at the same time but we both have a warped sense of humour. He cant get upstairs without a good shove and a push. He says it's like being a puppet on a string as he knows his legs are there but cannot control them. He gets extreme fatigue and sickness post treatment. Its hard going as he only feels somewhat ok for 2-3 days a fortnight on the plus side we are on Cycle 4 tomorrow, over halfway now! :x::x:

MaxFreya

Hi I totally understand how you are feeling I’ve only done cycle 1 and 2,ended up in hospital with horrendous sickness diarrhoea and pain couldn’t even keep water down,just found out today that my oncologist is stopping my chemo he says it’s doing me more harm than good ,which I’m concerned about.I hope you’re feeling better today look after yourself.😁

TeacherS

So I felt better on the Thursday but then had some rectal bleeding at night. Colorectal nurses didn’t seem overly concerned but I took myself to the Oncology Assessment Unit on Sunday because I started to get back and stomach pain. Several blood tests later I was admitted for a platelet transfusion as the count was very low. Cape tablets have been stopped while they decide what to do next and I’m back again today for more bloods. It definitely feels like chemo is doing me more harm than good and I didn’t even finish cycle 2. How can someone who was recently so fit and healthy suddenly become so sick?

EssexDan

Dont stress too much @TeacherS . They may stop chemo for you if its causing to many issues.

TeacherS

Part of me would feel like Christmas has come early if they do!

EssexDan

@TeacherS that's exactly how i felt when they cancelled my chemo at cycle 3 too! I should still be on it until the end of this month but they stopped it at the end of April. All bloods and colonoscopies have been clear since.

EssexDan
Quote from @MaxFreya:
Hi I totally understand how you are feeling I’ve only done cycle 1 and 2,ended up in hospital with horrendous sickness diarrhoea and pain couldn’t even keep water down,just found out today that my oncologist is stopping my chemo he says it’s doing me more harm than good ,which I’m concerned about.I hope you’re feeling better today look after yourself.😁

@MaxFreya how many cycles were you supposed to have?

EssexDan
Quote from @MrsMoors:
My partner gets the jelly legs after treatment, it's scary and funny at the same time but we both have a warped sense of humour. He cant get upstairs without a good shove and a push. He says it's like being a puppet on a string as he knows his legs are there but cannot control them. He gets extreme fatigue and sickness post treatment. Its hard going as he only feels somewhat ok for 2-3 days a fortnight on the plus side we are on Cycle 4 tomorrow, over halfway now!

Doing well isn't he @MrsMoors , well done to getting half way.

Lirio345

Oh I am so sorry to hear this @TeacherS particularly as I remember you being unsure whether to have this chemo at all. I really hope that your team come up with something that you are comfortable with. Take very good care, Kim :x::x:

TeacherS

Just an update. They have decided to stop my chemo. They could have reduced the dose but I would be at an increased risk of a severe bleed or a stroke. The Oncologist said he would choose to stop and I agree. I’ll take quality of life rather than risking it completely doing another cycle.

greyhound gal

There is no point in carrying on with chemo if it compromises your life!!
Sending you many best wishes @TeacherS
Wendy :x::x:

determinedjoan

Agree. Every good wish from me too. Really hope you’re beginning to feel a little better now. Love & hugs :x:

cyclingjohnny

Yes wise decision I think, wishing you all the best, big hugs, John.:x::x:

lola14

@TeacherS , I had oxy stopped after 2nd dose but had capcetabine stopped at 3 months. I was so upset at not coping and worried about missing my treatment, but I'm now picking up and just getting on with it. It's certainly not suitable for everyone so you're not alone on this one. Take care X linda

Salgal

I too had my Oxy stopped @TeacherS my body just couldn’t cope with it, so your not alone Take care Sal :x::x:

bettebette

That definitely sounds like the right decision @TeacherS. :x::x:

judith

@TeacherS oh lovely sorry to hear you have been so poorly it is mop up the surgery took the nasty away I’m 3weeks post chemo and feel really well you soon recover and get back to being you lots of hugs :x::x:

EssexDan

wise decision @TeacherS time to get well and crack on with life.

stumpycurlz

@TeacherS the Oxi got me on round two, too! I had awful autonomic nerve response for four days after the infusion - very frightening. My oncologist was great though! Said that sometimes pre dose magnesium and calcium infusions help. However that the last person who she had seen with 'my' type of reaction had tolerated the dose but when she got up to leave, everything spasmed and she fell and knocked out her front teeth! So I didn't want to risk it!!!!!!! I'm on just cap and feeling fine! Good luck and stay positive! :x::x: