Stage 4 bowel cancer

Polly68

Post surgery Update.....

So, another little update on how I’ve been getting on.
I was admitted to Kings on the 16th June as a priority patient to have a brain met removed. Said brain met had doubled in size over 4 weeks (it had developed a very good blood supply for itself!) and I’d gone from potential SRS laser surgery at Guys to open surgery at Kings, as laser surgery would no longer be effective due to the amount of growth. I was described as their ‘Golden Patient’ , which essentially meant I was a priority, but not an emergency, and I was on the ward ready to go as soon as any theatre space was available. I was bumped over a couple of days and eventually had surgery on the 20th June, and came home on the 24th June.
My recovery so far has been very straight forward, with the only issue being tiredness- strangely far quicker and less painful than the bowel and lung ops I’ve previously had. There are no pain receptors in the brain which helps. They’ve weened me off the steroids completely now, so I should start sleeping better and I’m looking forward to getting back to doing lots of walking and using the gym. I have lost 25% of my visual field and this won’t come back, but I am hoping to be able to drive again at some point.
Brain mets from CRC are rare, however they are becoming more common due to the success of systemic chemo and patients living longer. My oncologist was very quick to react to the mild changes I was experiencing with my eyesight ( which I’d mentioned to the nurses at my pre chemo assessment), as I wasn’t getting any classic signs of a tumour, and for that I a super grateful, as I just put it down to a reaction to the chemo. Brain metastasis are very treatable and I will now be on 3monthly MRI forever, to keep an eye on things. 😊🐶🌸🦄

jinnyp

@Polly68 I'm so glad I saw this today, haven’t been here for a while but lovely to hear you are doing so well.
Have a fab day at Wimbledon .... will be looking out for you on Centre Court!!
:x::x::x:

Highkaren

@Polly68 glad everything is going well for you xx onwards and upwards lovely :x:

Polly68

Polly68

Polly68

Polly68

Polly68

Polly68

We had a great time at Wimbledon and were lucky to see some big names play 😊😊

annie50C

Wow it looks amazing @Polly68 xxx Annie :x::x::x:

Baxter2

Lovely photos @Polly68

Bet you had an awesome day! Great way to recover from your recent surgery! Well done you!

Lots of love

Karen💜💛💙❤️💚

angepange

Well done @Polly68 , your story is so inspiring for others. Wishing you a really quick and total recovery :x::x::x:

angelj

Hi @Polly68 your update is brilliant to read, so pleased. Keep on having fun :x::x:

DianeS

Hi @Polly68 so pleased all is going well for you. Looks like a fabulous day at Wimbledon! Love to you Diane :x::x::x::x:

greyhound gal

Glad you had a great day at Wimbledon @Polly68. There was no way you’d be missed in the crowd with those big green arrows above you! Ha ha :x::x:

Buzylizzy

Hi @Polly68. I’ve just been in touch with @Baxter2 as I didn’t realise you’d had surgery for the brain mets. I must have missed that on the FB group too, sorry. I currently find myself in hospital after an emergency admission on the 6th. A CT yesterday evening shows metastatic spread to the brain causing a possible bleed which made me have a ‘funny turn’ a few weeks ago. I’m currently waiting an MRI to get a closer look at what’s going on but I never thought of surgery as being an option until reading your post. :x::x:

Baxter2

@Buzylizzy and @Polly68

I hope you both manage to find a shared strength from sharing your experiences and knowledge together! We're all rooting for you both!

Loads of love

Karen💛💙❤️💜💚

Polly68

🤣 they were terribly heavy to carry around all day!!

Quote from @greyhound gal:
Glad you had a great day at Wimbledon @Polly68. There was no way you’d be missed in the crowd with those big green arrows above you! Ha ha

Polly68
Quote from @Buzylizzy:
Have sent you a dm 😊

Hi @Polly68. I’ve just been in touch with @Baxter2 as I didn’t realise you’d had surgery for the brain mets. I must have missed that on the FB group too, sorry. I currently find myself in hospital after an emergency admission on the 6th. A CT yesterday evening shows metastatic spread to the brain causing a possible bleed which made me have a ‘funny turn’ a few weeks ago. I’m currently waiting an MRI to get a closer look at what’s going on but I never thought of surgery as being an option until reading your post.

determinedjoan

So soz 2 hear @Buzylizzy in hospital; wish u better & home again soon :x:

kas52

Well done😀