Share your top tops on diet + lifestyle for our new booklet.
Find out more here.

Life with bowel cancer

Forum user

Stoma names?- a little light hearted post.....

Morning all fellow Stoma club members (must think of a catchier title)'

Another post got me thinking and started this light hearted post to see if its got legs....

Quite simply - have you named your stoma and what was the reason for the name?...I know of 2 other so far so keen to know others :)

Keep smiling,

Glitterbug :x::x:

Clancy

@GD62, I think jefferswife's husband has the right idea, jump on the designer bandwagon. How about Stella?:x::x:

GD62

Oh @Clancy to be honest it seems like too much brain ache to even justify a name......no ileostomy is the most inventive I can get I am afraid. I spend a good bit of time writing prescriptions for ostomy and ileostomy patients and sending them off to Response, Fiitleworths and North West Ostomy that it reminds me of work at home, so it does not inspire me to give it a name. Ooooooh I'm such a miserable sod...lol :x:

Clancy

Lol @GD62, I really can't comment as I was lucky not to have a stoma, and I don't blame you really, it does smack of bus man's holiday. I am attending the Manchester Whit walks on Monday, hope it doesn't p@@s down. Oh and the house move is all going swimmingly t@@s up too, but I don't care, I think cancer kind of gives us this edge,that material things don't matter as much. Christie's filled me full of dex today, so I will be the miserable sod in a couple of days.:x::x:

Heathcliffe

From day one, I have called my stoma Winnie (The Poo). I have only had her for a few weeks, and talk to her regularly, telling her off when she interrupts a conversation with a resounding thunder that I am sure can be heard by the neighbours. Friends have already got used to me talking about her, especially if she decides to burst or leak unexpectedly, giving me a nice mess to clear up. Telephone conversations usually include the question, "Is Winnie behaving today?" One friend even says Hello to Winnie when he visits, so that she doesn't feel left out. I am really touched by the way friends and family have accepted her. In a way, it is like having an unpredictable pet, although I wouldn't want to take it out for a walk in the park. :)

snowsister

Mine was gonna be Stumpy or Stumpetta but that felt a bit negative and my little sidekick has saved my life to be fair... she is also with me for ever so she’s called Paloma the stoma...a wee bit more glamourous and positive.... the fella knows what I’m doing if I say I’m gonna have a chat with Paloma🤣🤣
Weirdly my stoma nurses tell me most stomas have male names.... 🤔

greyhound gal

My little one is called Beryl. I talk to her sometimes and give her a friendly pat, and I do introduce her to people.
When she misbehaves, she gets told off! She's then, Beryl the Peril!!

lujabuck

I've dubbed mine Stan.....i told the kids i had brought hime a little buddy who can sometimes be a bit cheeky, but we can all jusy say excuse me in his behalf. Today at lunch (we had a a houseful) stan let out a rather rude noise..my son heard and looked at me with a mixtureod mirth and astonishment....and gave me a little "we're in this togther' grin. He is being fabulous.

debbz

Hi. Mine is Stella the stoma. Nameing her just helped me to accept her as part of me for life.When I'm out and I say 'just got to change Stella' my friends and family all know what I'm talking about!

eyeofthetiger

Hi Mine is Stevie The Stoma. I live in a household of men and Stevie is a great source of amusement and gets the blame for every smell, noise and stain. Stevie is in fact a very well-behaved, quiet, life-saving friend who will be leaving us in March. My worry is that after the reversal I will be the one who will be making every smell, noise and stain. :-/

lorraine grant

Stumpy.....I like it fine.

Rachel

I went for Bob. Years ago I used to ride a horse called Bob who was also a little shit! So thought it was fitting.
I think it’s a lot easier when I say just gonna go and give Bob a new blanket (change bag) or when he farts esp when in work meetings I then say Yes I’ll excuse you Bob, we can have some funny conversations, good jobs my husband and work colleagues know me so well. :x::x:

Chelts

I called my colostomy Colin and was very good mates with him.
My current ileostomy is called Lily and to say we have an icy relationship would be an understatement. She’s a nightmare- throwing up in the bed, incontinent, smelly and generally confrontational.
Looking forward to the divorce!

Marcus

I only had mine fitted on Monday night after a replacement stent didn't work.
My bag for life is all I have come up with so far. Still have no idea/ confidence how to use/ care for it

snowsister

@Marcus Hello there, how are you doing? It sound as though your new sidekick was a little unexpected... whatever the reason it had to be necessary.... you’ll be alright with it soon honest....
Your stoma nurses are the experts.... stomas take a little getting used to, but you will get there.... how about naming him Asda then if you’re sticking with the bag for life!?!🤣🤣
You’ll go home with supplies enough... maybe make up a couple of emergency kits, one for the car, one for the office....if one brand of product doesn’t work for you try another... the manufacturers will send out free samples...
you don’t have to love your stoma, but you do have to decide to live your life with it, and don’t let it stop you achieving your dreams.... you can do it...😁

Marcus

Thank you for the message. Good idea about the emergancy kits. Working with stoma nurses daily now as independence with the stoma is one of my discharge criteria

helena

I'm thinking "Boris".............. for obvious reasons 😉

sweetcheeks

Sylvanus!!!!!! Amongst many others 😂😂😂 :x::x::x:

Marcus

I think I have selected Bilbo (Baggins) for my new stoma bag.

greyhound gal

Hi @Marcus ! Nothing better to do at 4:42am? Ha ha!

I think Bilbo is a great name! :x::x:

snowsister

Bilbo..... perfect!🤣 @Marcus
Did you get some sleep in the end? K :x: