Younger people with bowel cancer

Chris82

Hello (...and updates from Chris82)

I just wanted to introduce myself.

I'm 32 (and male) and was diagnosed three and half weeks ago. The cancer has spread both to my liver (two places) and there are multiple deposits in the peritoneum. My oncologist has indicated an 'average' life expectancy of 2-3 years but has warned me that I could only have 6-9 months if I don't respond to treatment.

I'd been experiencing what I thought was IBS (mainly discomfort that has come and gone - it all still seems very mild) for about 7 months and had been to the doctor a few times. I was only recently referred for a colonoscopy after some blood tests showed the inflammation.

There isn't any surgical option at this point, unless it's necessary as an emergency due to blockage, which miraculously has not happened yet. I've so far had one cycle of FOLFOX and Avastin just over a week ago, with no major side effects so far. I barely have any symptoms at all right now in fact.

Obviously the whole thing has come as a massive shock. I only got married two months ago. My husband, family and friends are all being amazing and I think I'm coping well. But I also lack any connections with other people in a similar position, especially of my age - so I thought I would at least say hello (before I go to bed).

penjay1902

Great news @Chris82 . Very best wishes. :x:

jj

@Chris82
Brilliant news. 5years and still going strong. Keep it up Chris. All the very best.
It’s really great to hear these wonderful and positive news. Keep cycling.
Regards

TeacherS

Amazing @Chris82! Keep going! :x:

pingu14

Wow! Just read the majority of this threads d this is amazing news! Keep going and wishing you all the best @Chris82

azro3

Wonderful news @Chris82 very best wishes

Lizalou

Great to read your update @chris28 :x::x:

GD62

Marvellous inspiration @Chris82 well done :x::x::x:

mem

Fantastic news @Chris82 ☺️ :x::x:

Bear G

Hope you get the cyber knife sorted @Chris82
You’re doing amazingly well at keeping on top of this disease and leading a great life at the same time!
:x::x:

Pugh

Fabulous News. So wonderful to hear you are doing so well. Great summer to look forward to :x::x:

angepange

Well done @Chris82 , so pleased for you 😊😊:x::x::x:

Dan-888
Quote from @Chris82:
Scan time again! This time we had the added bonus of a PET scan.

If you've not read the whole of this thread, the background is I've been very successful on maintenance chemo (5FU and Avastin) for over 2 years keeping disease stable (or reducing) which had been active in about half a dozen lymph nodes in various locations after my last recurrence in 2016.

The great news from today is that only one lymph node is active on the PET scan, up by my collarbone. As well as continuing with maintenance chemo for now, it looks like I'll be having radiotherapy there to give it an extra kicking - possibly CyberKnife subject to what the MDT and Bupa think.

Such excellent news, @Chris82 !
Sounds like a really targetted kicking lined up! :D :D
What a banner to hold out for others as well!
All my very best.
Dan

Michele

I haven't been on for a while @Chris82, great news for you. You always have been a positive role model for us all on here. All the best Michele x:):):)

Chris82

Thank you everyone for your kind words and wishes. I'm glad my story can provide a little reassurance for those starting off in a similar situation.

CyberKnife has now been approved, waiting for an appointment on Monday to discuss and hopefully arrange various dates for planning and treatment.

determinedjoan

Gr8 news ! All the v best with that :x:

Pugh

Brilliant news! Thanks for sharing. Best of luck with cyberknife 👏👏👏

bettebette

Good news @Chris82. Best wishes for the appointment.

Forum user
The comment is awaiting review.
mountainwoman

Hi @Chris82,
I think I met you yesterday at the Shine event? We talked about Basingstoke and lack of belly buttons!
Just to say it was lovely to meet you and hope the appointmnet for the cyberknife goes well.
All the best

Chris82

Hi @mountainwoman lovely to meet you yesterday! Hope you had a good day. I'll update on CyberKnife here...