Just Diagnosed

Familyfirst

Operation cancelled!!

Has anyone suffered the huge disappointment of having an op cancelled when you are literally one step outside the theatre?
Happened to my other half on Monday...reversal of Ileostomy..all gowned up and ready to go and then the announcement of no beds in the hospital...so all sent home.
Apparently they need to reschedule within 28 days...but now being told that no elective surgeries are taking place until Feb or March .... so disappointed and hubby feeling low. Sorry to moan when I know so many are suffering so much more..but its been a very hard and tough year...
thank you for all making this journey a whole lot easier :x::x:

DianeS

So sorry to hear your hubby’s op was cancelled at such ridiculously short notice @Familyfirst. It must have left you both feeling so deflated. I almost didn’t have ablation and was actually in the anaesthetic room but hadn’t had the anaesthetic as they couldn’t get the ultrasound machine working and myvsurgeon left to find another one. Luckily he did and all was successful, but to be turned away must have been terrible. Hope this gets redefined before Feb or March :x::x::x::x:

Familyfirst

Thank you all of you .... @michael @Lady GT @Lizalou @Baxter2 @GD1962 @DianeS ... it has been quite a stressful couple of days... trying to contact ... anybody and everyone... phones always engaged and no one answering calls or emails.
Managed to get a private consult on 19/12 after deciding to go down the private route... altho the operation wouldn’t be before Christmas as the private sector is stupidly busy too?
But at least it was a plan.
Hubby was truly devastated @Lizalou it truly is a psycological issue ... he would NEVER embrace the illeostomy all.
An hour ago we received a call from our surgeons secretary and were told that the operation is rescheduled for Friday 8th Dec!!!! It is like Christmas coming early ... still fearful it may well be cancelled again ... but praying not.
@sweetcheeks .. how is your hubby doing?
Thinking of you both this evening and sending you lots of love and strength to get thru another milestone on this journey ❤️
@mem thanks for your advice... I hope we don’t need to put any of your advice into practice ....
all of you guys are seriously amazing and I almost feel guilty asking you all about anything as I really do only dip in and out occasionally.... this lifeline has been my lifeline ... getting
Me thru the last 12 months.
Always in debt :x::x::x::x:

michael

Wow, Back on track.

Excellent.

sweetcheeks

Hi @Familyfirst , I totally get what an awful blow this must of been for hubby, Geoff was discharged initially a lot of pain but comfortable evening, but bloody awful night , loose bowels , incontinance, and pain ++ , but onwards and upwards!!!!
Good luck
Much love
Tracey :x::x::x::x::x:

LABluebell

@sweetcheeks Early days are tough aren't they? Sending you hugs and strength to help you get Geoff through the next bit. Hope he's on the up very soon. :x::x::x:

LABluebell

@Familyfirst I'll keep EVERYTHING crossed for you that the 8th December goes ahead smoothly. It's unbelievable that the psychological element of this whole journey can be so overlooked. Sending you positive vibes and hugs to stay strong while you deal with the tension of waiting and then worrying whether it will actually go ahead!!!:x::x::x:

Familyfirst

Yes @michael ...keeping focused on the 8/12! Your diagnosis is exactly the same as my hubby ... hope you are doing ok? ?
Morning @sweetcheeks weirdly looking forward to being in the same position as you ... much l❤️Ve.
Thank you @LABluebell ... I have everything crossed too... which may mean my tree lights don’t go up so well this morning!!!
The waiting is just the worst!
Happy 1st Dec to you all ?:x::x:

Lizalou

Very well done to you for organising all this @Familyfirst . Your husband must be so relieved that he has you to share his battles. Fingers firmly crossed for 8th. :x::x:

mem

I’m SO pleased you’ve both been provided with another ‘reasonable’ date without rigmarole @Familyfirst. I will be keeping my fingers tightly crossed for the 8th ?? :x::x:

DianeS

Great news that another date has been set up, wecwill all becthinking of you both on 8th @Familyfirst big hugs D :x::x::x::x:

Ian

Hello Family First. I was the same just over 4 years ago now. However, when I spoke to the surgeon after, he put in into context: How would I have felt the year before if, he had operated / undertaken a reversal on somebody else who was in the queue instead of juggling about to take my tumour out.

sweetcheeks

Hi @Familyfirst , just wondering how you are both getting on? :x::x::x:

Freckles50

Hi @Familyfirst, just wondering how hubby is coping with his new plumbing. I’m 9 months on from my reversal. :x::x:

Familyfirst

Hello @sweetcheeks & @Freckles50 ... so nice of you both to ask about us! We are doing great ... Paul has managed so well after his reversal... it’s 8 weeks ago today! It was a very stressful ride for the first 3 weeks... but I have to say he has been so lucky I guess to be so well now. His wound has healed almost completely ... his BM’s are down to around 3 a day... so unbelievably normal-ish! I know that Geoff has not had it so easy .... I really do believe that you have had it so hard ... the reversal is no way a day case operation! Are things any better for you now?
Paul had terrible diarrhoea for about 2 weeks... he took Imodium ... about 3 doses in one day... that obviously stopped the diarrhoea... he then waited and waited and got to see what the baseline ‘toilet’ situation was .... turned out to be not too bad ... it seemed to slowly regulate his movements... and now he takes a dose of Imodium every third day. He went back to work last week too.
@Freckles50 ..how are you coping.. Have things settled for you? Hope you are doing all things ‘normal’ again... it’s weird to get back to a normal life again after diagnosis isn’t it...
I am so aware that so many wonderful people are still fighting and struggling with this horrible disease. This forum really has helped me... and continues to do so ... I read more than I contribute... sending my love to both of you and everyone for a happy weekend :x::x::x:

sweetcheeks

Hi @Familyfirst , I’m so glad things are settling down for you , great to hear positivity ?, Geoff’s starting to get into some sort of routine, still had lots and lots of BM which in it self is hard going, he has lost an awful lot of weight, but I think your right about reversal is to complicated for a day procedure!!! But we now have tve tshirt!!!!! ?,
Geoff has decided to return to ( very) part time rather than retiring, although at 68 I think he deserves to take it easy, but the financial side of the last 9 months unfortunately takes its toll eventually, really wish you luck , pop up if your free and say hello
Lots of love
Tracey :x::x::x::x::x:

Familyfirst

@sweetcheeks .... I am sooooo glad that things are moving forward ... albeit slowly. Paul too has lost loads of weight ... started at 15 and a half stone... now at 13st 8!!!! Not a recommended diet ?Paul is doing 2 days a week... so work ... of sorts! Financial hardships don’t really matter when the diagnosis is cancer.... but in reality they do! I will totally keep in touch .... sending you both lots of love and hugs :x::x::x::x:

Freckles50

Hi @Familyfirst thanks for the update. Good to hear it’s going so well ?. My bowel is much improved. It’s taken a long time and it’s still very active, 6-8 BM’s a day and still being taken by surprise with horrible consequences. Amazingly though I’ve always been at home so I thank my lucky stars ⭐️. I don’t take Loperamide as there’s no pattern to mine, apart from knowing that certain foods are a no no or to be taken in moderation. The offending foods seem to be citrus fruits, apples and sweet corn. Other than that I eat what I want. I’m due to see my colorectal team for my annual check up very soon, so will be discussing this with them. Take care :x::x:

Familyfirst

Hi @sweetcheeks
how are things with you and Geoff...have things improved now?
I feel we have settled into a bit of a routine now... we have meeting with consultant on weds to see where we go from here...what checks Paul will get going forward etc.
Paul is doing great...I must admit i am still carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders .... hope that might subside sometime soon!!
big hugs
vicky

sweetcheeks

Hi @Familyfirst , it’s quite variable, just when I think it’s getting slightly better Geoff has a bad day , it is looking like he has anterior resection syndrome which apparently can often happen and he has dreadful spasms which knocks him for 6 , we have scan and colonoscopy in may ? which I’m so worried it will show something on!!! So glad that Paul is doing well , thankyou for thinking of us ,
Much love
Tracey
:x::x::x::x::x: