Join us for Bowel Cancer UK's first Supporter Day and help create a future where nobody dies of bowel cancer. Register today.

Younger people with bowel cancer

Karen D

G.P’s Should Keep an open mind

I unfortunately was just a few yrs to old to get a bowel screen / colonoscopy as a matter of course.
It has recently come to my attention through a friend that his niece age 35 has been going back & forth to her surgery for various symptoms including violent headaches. She was diagnosed with Bowel Cancer after a colonoscopy just a few days before Xmas. Seems to be stage 4 as partially blocking bowel sadly. The G.P. was supposed to be the ‘bowel expert in our surgery...... apology was given, for what use that will be. I hope at least our surgery will now be open to the fact that it’s not just over 50’s that are affected by this all too common cancer. I know there are people even younger suffering also....

Baxter2

Hi @Karen D and a very warm welcome to the forum! I’m sure you’ll find this a supportive place to be with lots of information and friendship. How are things going for you?

It’s always so sad to hear of a story like the one youve just described and sadly, all too familiar with devastating consequences. The recently merged bowel cancer charities are working to raise awareness of this issue with the ‘never too young’ campaign.

Sending all my very best wishes,

K ????❤️