Ask the Nurse

If you have a question for our nurses, please post it here. Typically you will receive a response within 2-4 working days. Please not this is for non-urgent enquries only. If you are feeling unwell please contact your hospital team or GP.

Posts in this section can only be replied to by the nurses. If you wish other users to respond to your question you will need to post it in another topic on the forum as well.

Gary not Gavin

Rectal discharge and pain weeing

Hello hope you had a good weekend.

I have had a colostomy and keep getting urg to go to the toilet sometime white little things come out or sticky discharge sometime a little smelly and during the night wakes me up with a wet bum area so have very bad nights sleep. Also. I am coming up to the finish line 28 days Radiotherapy, finished chemotherapy friday is it normal when weeing for the penis to hurt, very painful when weeing and when finishing the worst pain doubled over in pain. Had a urine test ok. Checked for thrush not that.
Thanks

Bear G

Good morning @Gary not Gavin
Charlotte the nurse advisor is on holiday for the next week so won't be able to respond to you until she's back.
I'm sorry that I can't offer any advice on this, from your other posts I know you e discussed this with your team but while you're waiting for Charlotte I'd suggest going back to your colorectal nurse emphasising how bad things are.
Big hugs
Bear
:x::x:

Charlotte Nurse Advisor

Dear @Gary not Gavin,

Thank you for your post and my apologies for the delay in replying whilst I was on leave.

It is quite normal to experience some discharge from the bottom even if you have a colostomy. The bowel will continue to produce some mucus from the lining (which is normal) and occasionally this needs to be passed out the normal way via the bottom. In addition to this the radiotherapy you have had causes irritation and inflammation of the lining of the rectum and this can increase the amount of mucus discharge that is produced. This is all perfectly normal during radiotherapy and will last for some weeks afterwards.

Although every effort is made to concentrate the radiotherapy beam directly at the tumour in the rectum it is not possible to completely avoid surrounding tissue and organs. In men the prostate gland and also the bladder can be affected by the radiotherapy. It is possible that this is the cause of your urinary symptoms. Again, these symptoms should improve over time

I would however advise that you report all of these symptoms to your team (if you have not done so already). As I said they are all explainable by the radiotherapy but it is important that your team are aware of all of the side-effects you are experiencing.

With kind regards,

Charlotte