New to the forum?

Tina65

16 weeks post op (not sure if correct place to post)

Hi all quick update on my cancer journey.
I had my resection operation 27th sept 17 all went well at that time. Cancer was removed along with 9 lymph nodes which were cancer free. My surgeon and oncologist said this was good but couldn't be sure if lymph nodes were cancer free before chemo & radiotherapy. More chemo was offered.
Unfortunately my wound collapsed which left it open so unable to have the chemo. I've had a ct scan that came back ok. Due another middle of March.
Since 12th oct 17 I've had community nurses everyday to change dressing. I've also had a vacuum pump at present I'm on a 2 week brake from pump due to another infection. It's all looking good and healing still another few months until fully healed.
I'm feeling pretty positive although there is that thought in the back of my mind that it will come back!
Next week after 9 months off I'm going back to work need to get back to some normality. :x::x:

GD62

Hi @Tina65

Nice to hear from you and hope all turns out well so you can get back to work.

Good luck :x:

Baxter2

Gosh, that’s a long time for wound healing @Tina65!

Ive also had experience of my wound opening and a longer healing time including vacuum pump too. Are you sure you’re fit to return to work with an open wound though? Is the plan still for you to have more chemo?

Anyway, I hope all turns out ok with your return to work next week!

Best wishes,

K ????❤️

Bear G

Hi @Tina65
Sorry to hear what you've been going through but it sounds like you're handling things well if you're hungry to get back to work.

When I was in for my surgery in 2013 I met a guy who's become a great friend of mine (Martyn), he had a similar problem where it took many months for his wound to heal and he had multiple setbacks due to infections. The best advice I can give is to take it easy and follow your team's guidance, it's working even if it is slow. Oh, and Martyn's wound ended up healing well and since then he and his wife had a baby boy and have moved to follow their dreams in Ireland!

In terms of starting back to work, has your doctor given the OK to go back? If so then go for it and enjoy getting a bit of normality back into your life. Just please take it easy, maybe starting back part time if that's an option.

Big hugs

Bear
:x::x:

Tina65
Quote from @Bear G:
Hi @Tina65
Sorry to hear what you've been going through but it sounds like you're handling things well if you're hungry to get back to work.

When I was in for my surgery in 2013 I met a guy who's become a great friend of mine (Martyn), he had a similar problem where it took many months for his wound to heal and he had multiple setbacks due to infections. The best advice I can give is to take it easy and follow your team's guidance, it's working even if it is slow. Oh, and Martyn's wound ended up healing well and since then he and his wife had a baby boy and have moved to follow their dreams in Ireland!

In terms of starting back to work, has your doctor given the OK to go back? If so then go for it and enjoy getting a bit of normality back into your life. Just please take it easy, maybe starting back part time if that's an option.

Big hugs

Bear

Hi @Bear thank you for your reply. That's very encouraging that your friend made a great recovery. Hope Martyn is doing well and enjoying his new life in Ireland with his family.
I saw my consultant last week and he is happy for me return to work.
The plan with work is to have a steady phased return with no pressure which is good. Just have to plan around nurses coming appointments etc. :x::x:

Tina65
Quote from @Baxter2:
Gosh, that’s a long time for wound healing @Tina65!

Ive also had experience of my wound opening and a longer healing time including vacuum pump too. Are you sure you’re fit to return to work with an open wound though? Is the plan still for you to have more chemo?

Anyway, I hope all turns out ok with your return to work next week!

Best wishes,

K ????❤️

Hi @Baxter2,
I know I wasn't expecting it to take so long. The wound was quite large so I've been told (as I can't see it) with a large cavity. It's doing really well skin viability nurse has said approx 2-3 more months before it's fully healed.
My oncologist has said no to chemo as it's past the 3 months and the open wound.
I'm sure I will be fine going back to work as long as I take my time and not doing anything I shouldn't.
How long did it take for your wound to heal? Are you now in good health?

Thank you for replying. :x:

Baxter2

Hi @Tina65

I had my Cytoreductive surgery and HIPEC 20th March 2017. The majority of it healed by May sometime but there were two little bits which took a good while longer. It was fully healed and dry by August (can’t remmeber date though!)

I feel pretty well and continue on chemo indefinitely every two weeks. I count my blessings and take things a day at a time, not looking too far ahead and try to bury my head deep in the sand as often as I can!! ?