Younger people with bowel cancer

sophia

New to the community

Hi all

I was diagnosed with stage IV bowel cancer just before Xmas. Looks like it’s metastised to lymph nodes and omentum and possibly lungs. I’ve been told it’s not curable so I’m on chemo I’ve had a right hemicolectomy where there removed the entire primary tumour. Now two chemo sessions down and 4 to go before next ct.

I’m 31 years old and to be honest I’m not coping with it as well as I had hoped I would. Initially I was ready to fight and crack on with the chemo but knowing it’s incurable I’m struggling to find the reason to do it. Before diagnosis I was an independent person living in london I loved going to work and had a great social life. I’m still
living in my shared house, my housemates have been amazing but I’m really crashing at the moment.

I think I’m driving my poor brother and parents mad because they want me to fight and carry on with the treatment so much but I am at such a low point at the moment I can’t seem to find the fight in me to do it.

I’ve been told I should speak to someone but I don’t think I would respond well to counselling. That being said maybe i should talk to someone or at least give it a try. Not sure if anyone can recommend something?

Sorry for the long message. All the uncertainty and shock has really knocked me for six and I’m really disappointed in how weak I’m being.

Bridget55

Hi @sophia Congrats on that news. See my update above in relation to HIPEC - its in my patient story which are listed in the patient story section. It may not be suitable but don't leave any stone unturned and forearmed is a better position to be in - happy to answer any question on it as I'm sure others are on the forum - in the meantime fantastic news for you and enjoy getting out and about :x::x:

Caraeliz24

@sophia congrats on the Promo to associate. Lovely to have some good news hey. I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better with it. Yes anytime you fancy a coffee or Vino either way just shout - I'm on Fbook as Cara Hoofe if that's easier as well.

sophia

Hi @Bridget55. I have looked into HIPEC. I think The chemo needs to shrink the cancer everywhere else first before they will consider me but at the end of my rounds I will review and see what my options are. The main area of spread is the peritoneum. I think it’s only Marginally on lungs and liver so let’s see. Finger crossed for some positive outcomes. :x:

Bridget55

Hi @sophia that was my situation re piroteneum. Perhaps something to ask your oncologist at your next review. Everything crossed for you, as per previous post my top tip is to think positive thoughts re chemo it is destroying the cancer cells and preserving the good ones. Take care xx Bridget

sophia

I’ll take that on board and try to keep as positive as I’ve been feeling this last week. @Bridget55 :x:

jinnyp

Hi @sophia that's great news about promotions at work, it makes so much difference when work are supportive. I haven't really been back apart from to visit since I started chemo but they have been great and are very keen to be accommodating. It takes that bit of pressure off which helps.
I have found the chemo to be a positive experience, yes, I have some side effects that are a pain but it is working and I see it as a way of hopefully getting into a position where there is a chance (however small) that it could be cured. I am realistic that it is small but some of us have to be on the good side and beat this and I fully intend to be there if I have anything to do with it :)
I had a nodule on my peritoneum which had disappeared, one on my lung which they think isn't cancer related and I had loads in my liver which have shrunk by around 50% after 6 chemo cycles with Cetuximab - I have a PET scan before they make the final decision re surgery but if it doesn't happen this time I am hopeful that it can in the future.
Enjoy getting out, seeing friends and doing as many non cancer related things as you want to - I find that just doing normal things as much as i can help to level me.
Take good care, Jane :x::x::x:

Sean

Hi @sophia sucks you've had to join our shite club but as you've seen already we try to look after each other - so stick around! :x:

Gems43

Hi @sophia, I am sorry to hear about initial feelings, but glad the threads have helped. Stage 4 is a blow, my husband is 35 and secondary in liver, it's good to talk, to share and get support. Anger I think can be a huge feeling to deal with and it's understandable. I was ill when incurable was mentioned to my husband, but he has worked the past two years between treatment, we have been on holiday, and tried to enjoy normal day to day things! I hope you continue to seek support and I am truly sorry to hear about your diagnosis. :x::x:

sophia

Hi @Sean and @Gems43 firstly both thanks for your messages. Sean so pleased you’ve had your surgery and it’s gone well. Yeah it’s a shite club to be in for sure but everyone seems so lovely here.
I’ve certainly picked myself up since my message above. Things are getting there. Chemo is apparently working which is great considering I’ve only had 3 sessions and it’s already making a difference. I was hauled up in hosptial for a week last week with salmonella. God knows how I got it but the docs think it might have been lying dormant from my holiday in Thailand in Nov. Quite funny really he asked me if I had diarrhoea whilst I was away to which I said yes but then I was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer 3 weeks after I was back so..... he laughed and said ‘good point’.
Anyway on antibiotics and the excruciating tummy pain has disappered so back to chemo on wed. All good fun!

Sean

Thanks @sophia the surgery was something that first looked a million miles off - but we got there ;) Great news on the chemo!
All the best for weds and do check out shine.:x:

sophia

@Sean thanks I’ve made contact with Shine so I may see you at a meet up when you’re back on your feet. All the best with the recovery :x:

Mum37

Hi @sophia sorry you find yourself here but you can get loads of support here. I am diagnosed incurable but I need to keep fighting as I have a 15 month old baby! Great news the chemo is already working. They may be able to do more surgery or trials may come along. In the stage 4 bit you can read about lots of inspiring people who are living with stage 4. Good luck with everything :x::x:

GD62

Hello @sophia

Sorry to read about your diagnosis and you seem to be coping very well so far with chemotherapy and the psychological challenges facing you. Congratulations on being made an associate at your work place. Equally had stage four diagnosis with six to nine months rotten prognosis, nine months on I did a shift yesterday in a busy walk in centre post CRS and HIPEC. It is all ongoing, and great you have joined Shine and made an invitation for face to face connections in London.

Take it easy and take advantage of all the help you can get. All the best :x::x::x:

sophia

Thank you @GD1962 and @Mum37 yeah I’m trying to turn a corner and just enjoy every day. Easier said than done but I am in work today too after a few weeks absence and it’s great to be back. :x::x::x:

margaret ensor

Welcome Sophia. Sorry you had to join this club but the people are very helpful and in the same boat. The first thing after the shock is to find the will to fight. You have to be determined. Look at the profiles of similar people some like Rach had to go private. Not always possible I know. Keep moving forward buying time to look at every solution. Get a second or third opinion. Fight. I'm having a portacath put in today what joy. Thinking of you. Margaret.

sophia

Thank you @margaret ensor I have been getting opinions from different people and have actually transferred hospitals too now as a result. Hopefully I’m on the right path at present! @GD1962 I forgot to say well done to you too for going back to work after all your surgery and treatment. I don’t know about you but for me it feels great to be in work, gaining some normality and not thinking about cancer!

GD62

@sophia you sound such a lovely young lady and hope it all works out for you , as you are full of zest for life and wanting progress your career. Just be flexible and take each day at a time :x::x::x:

margaret ensor

Just fight on Sophia. This is the second day of my new chemo and my blood pressure is though the roof so I am on blood pressure pills and anti depressants which I don't want. I fill like a zombie. I feel like giving up but my best friend want let me she thinks I'm a tough old bird. She keep the good fight join the winners. Love margaret

margaret ensor

Ps. Good reading - hope never dies by Rick Shapiro I didnt believe it all but it gave me hope. We are trying to sell some property as we may on to California to see dr nagourney who has good result with stage four. Anyway some things give hope. Thinking of you. Margaret :x::x::x::x:

sophia

Hi @margaret ensor sorry only just seen this message. I do love rick Shapiro. I’ll look into that chap too in California. Trying to fight on but my bowel has now perforated so will have to wait and see if they can fix it. Keep it all crossed! :x::x::x::x: