Relatives and friends

gemmabaggies

Partner facing cancer for a second time

Hi all. I’m new to this community. My partner is 34 and was diagnosed with bowel cancer almost 2 years ago. The tumour was removed successfully (he was resectioned in 3 places) followed by 8 rounds of chemo. We were told in October that there were no signs of recurrence on his CT scan. He then had a colonoscopy in November which again showed no recurrence. We were so happy and started looking forward to the future with such relief and joy. Shortly after Christmas, he started to experience stomach pain and vomiting. I took him to A and E where the doctors said it would most likely be a bowel obstruction caused by scar tissue. This made sense to us. He had another CT scan which showed no mass. Huge relief. We then had an appointment through for a PET scan and I started to get suspicious. Our worst fears were confirmed yesterday when we were told by the consultant that they had found a tumour in the small intestine. They had presumed that it was scar tissue on the Oct scan but that it had grown on the Jan scan. He is to have 3 months of chemo to shrink the tumour this time and then they will hopefully remove it. The consultant didn’t seem too confident of a cure this time because of its location. Obviously, we are devastated. Having the diagnosis come so soon after being given the all clear is so hard to process. I feel lost and trying to be strong for him and our 8 year old son. Anyone have experience of beating bowel cancer for a second time? Thanks for reading. Gemma.

deedeedokey

Gemma baggies
Oh Gemma I am so sorry for you both, I have no experience at all about the return of bowel cancer, I am just undergoing my chemo for minee which was diagnosed just before Christmas, though had breast cancer 7 + yrs ago, and thought I was out of the woods, however, I didn’t need Chemo, but had 6 weeks of radiotherapy, which has caused enough devastation to my body, ‘Body image ‘huh who cares anymore. You are both so young, which makes me sad, but I couldn’t not at least react to you, I hope someone with the right knowledge will see this and give you both some good news to hang on to, and sensible advise to deal with it. Keep going, or pop into your local branch if Maggies, who have cancer nurses available most times to give you advise, google it in your area, it is a cancer walk in centre with so much help advise regarding everything you will be dealing with. God love to you both and your family. Keep going, keep strong and fight this harsh life changing son of a btch.

gemmabaggies

Thanks for your reply. Good luck with your treatment. Thank you for the advice.

Baxter2

Hi @gemmabaggies

I’ve just replied to your other post but I wanted to welcome you to the forum too! I’m sure you’ll find this a safe and supportive place.

I can’t begin to imagine how you’re both feeling right now on the receiving end of this rotten news. There are loads of young people on the forum and I’m sure they will be along soon to introduce themselves and offer their support.

My heart goes out to you both.

Sending all my very best wishes,

K💜💚💛💙❤️

mem

Hi from me too @gemmabaggies.
I'm really sorry to hear that you and your partner are having to face this for a second time. It's a shock that you have to get your heads around all over again isn't it? Best wishes going forward and I hope the treatment plan does some serious damage to that tumour!
Sending love and a warm welcome :x:

soz

@gemmabaggies we have had it recurred and I totally understand where you are at. Keep strong and make sure you look after you too.

margaret ensor

So sorry to hear of reoccurring but it happens. I have metastasis in my lung after colon cancer but I start chemo on the 19th. After the shock you have to be strong take the new chemo then look at all the options. Margaret

GD62

Hello @gemmabaggies sorry to read your news and hope your team have a plan for treating your partner.

Hugs and positive healing thoughts :x::x::x:

Gary not Gavin

Oh Gemma I have no experience but wot devotion , love and support you are giving you partner so lovely to see truly inspirational person.

Sending hugs and love

Gavin :x::x:

kitti

Its so unfair to on gone through this once, and then faced with it again. Sending hugs and best wishes. :x:

gemmabaggies

Thanks for the messages. Chris has been very poorly in hospital with another blockage. They have decided to operate on Tuesday where he will have cytoreductive surgery and HIPEC if possible. The tumour is very close to a blood vessel that is the main supply to the small intestine so they were hoping to shrink it before surgery but he’s not been well enough and had 3 blockages in 6 weeks. I don’t think they know what they are going to find. Fingers crossed they can remove as much as possible. Dreading Tuesday.

DianeS

Hi @gemmabaggies so sorry to hear that Chris has been poorly. I would like to wish you all the very best for Tuesday, and wanted you to know we will all be thinking of you both. Hope you manage to get some rest over the weekend. Love to you both Diane :x:

Lizalou

Hi @gemmabaggies

I am so sorry to hear that Chris is struggling but I am sure he is in the best place and glad that they have a plan for his treatment. Look after yourself, sending hugs. :x::x:

hollyjane

Hi, I know this is an older post but wondered how things went for you, my heart goes out to you. My husband has just had a recurrence and undergone HIPEC surgery following recurrent obstruction and hospital admissions and we have a 6 year old son. :x::x:

george1960

Just fight and try to be strong people on this site have faced so many things with cancer and live to fight another day.

:x::x::x:

Baxter2

Hello @hollyjane and welcome to the forum!

I hope your husband is recovering well after his HIPEC surgery? Where did he have it? There are quite a few of us on the forum whom have had this surgery too, including me, back in March 2017.

Sending lots of good wishes to you, your husband and little boy

Karen💚💛💜💙❤️

hollyjane

Sorry such late reply! He’s doing well thank you, had surgery under the care of Mr Haney Youseff at Good Hope in Birmingham. Had port fitted Friday all set for mop up of folfox starting Wednesday! All go and keeping on swimming!
Xxx

Quote from @Baxter2:
Hello @hollyjane and welcome to the forum!

I hope your husband is recovering well after his HIPEC surgery? Where did he have it? There are quite a few of us on the forum whom have had this surgery too, including me, back in March 2017.

Sending lots of good wishes to you, your husband and little boy

Karen💚💛💜💙❤️

george1960

Hi there I'm had my bum taken away APR resection and a stoma completed at the same time was in surgery for 10.1/2 hours stayed in hospital a week that was mid 2018. Felt uncomfortable so made appointment to see surgeon said it was nothing as he sent me a letter all cancer removed and markers no cancer in lymph nodes i said i felt different so he arranged for me to have MRI scan.
2 weeks back to see surgeon he said it was a tumour aggressive and nothing he could do also said average for my cancer was 12 to 18 months and referred back to oncologist.
The oncologist ask me what was said and told me it had been given not the complete picture a life and said we will start chemo had two treatments feels like it's shrinking but will wait next treatment next week followed by Scan so will see but it am a fighter and will kick this shit out.
I stay strong cos that's what i do best.

:x::x: