Life with bowel cancer

terri m

Shocked at histology report☹️

Hi everyone. I am quite new to this forum. Have any of you been upset by reading your histology report? I read mine today for the first time and noticed that it said poor differentiation .(meaning grade 3 cancer?). I have read that this is more likely to reoccur . is there anyone on here who has the same report?.
My lovely grandchildren came over all afternoon today and I just did nothing but cry when they went home. My mind has been working overtime, and csnt help but fear the worse. I know i need some counselling, has just cant get my head around this diagnosis. Does it get easier?

springer michelle

Try to stay positive my lovely. Its a tough disease . Have a good cry when you need to
. Dont worry about anything that may happen. Think about getting through the now. Enjoy your grandchildren. The mind is a very active thing. Have councelling. It will help. Good luck and we are here for you :x:

eyeofthetiger

Hello @terri m So sorry to hear that your histology report has upset you and having a good old cry always makes me feel better. I think most of us with a cancer diagnosis have felt how you are feeling and understand what a scary and worrying place it can be! Others on the forum will have had the same histology as you and have had great success with treatment. I was diagnosed at Stage 4 in April 2017 and my chemo and surgery have got me to cancer free. After treatment you will probably have scans and bloods every 3 months and they will keep a watchful eye. I know lots of people have had counselling and are given coping techniques. I am seriously considering it myself. Take care sweetie :x::x::x::x::x:

terri m

Hi @eyeofthetiger.. Istart my treatnent monday. Now. Has the infection didnt clear up until last week. Must admit i am anxious with this has well. Most dont seen to tolerate this well. Thank you for your support. You look so young btw in your photo :x::x:

Catherine Blakeney

Hi @terri m this forum has been a life saver for me, there is always someone to help and share experiences.
It is all very distressing, and I can relate to how you’re feeling, it’s all very natural to be anxious about the future, and the worry of chemo, I was petrified but honestly the first one wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be . Try not to dwell on the histology to much (very hard I know)
Just because a lot of us have experienced side effects some others don’t get them as bad, we all react differently, I refused to google side effects and spoke to my colorectal nurse it’s all different for each of us, she also referred me for counselling which helped me a great deal. Perhaps if your anxiety is causing you a lot of distress you could ask your colorectal nurse to do the same,
Hope Monday and the 1st chemo goes as well as it can and I am always here with a listening ear.

terri m

Thank you@ cathetine and @ eyeofthetiger. I am having 3 weeky cycles. Capecebitine and oxaliplatin 8 if i can cope. You are all ainspiration on this forun . i will let you know how the chemo goes. I am going to mae sure i eat loads the weekend lol xx tc :x:

GD62

Hello @terri m , sorry you are upset about your histology report, and to be honest quite right to have a good old cry. I tend not to go too much into the details of these things, and take a broad brush approach and if the medics are happy at what ever stage that I am at then just accept it as a positive

The capox regime can be tolerated, just don't panic, take a deep breath and stick to advice about how to cope with side effects. That said capox did make me operable to get surgery that can potentially give me a better survival rate than before. Good luck x

Hugs and positive healing thoughts xxx :D

terri m
Quote from @GD1962:
Hello @terri m , sorry you are upset about your histology report, and to be honest quite right to have a good old cry. I tend not to go too much into the details of these things, and take a broad brush approach and if the medics are happy at what ever stage that I am at then just accept it as a positive

The capox regime can be tolerated, just don't panic, take a deep breath and stick to advice about how to cope with side effects. That said capox did make me operable to get surgery that can potentially give me a better survival rate than before. Good luck :x:

Hugs and positive healing thoughts xxx

Hi @GD1962. Thank you so much for positive comment. Hope you are recovering from your. Surgery. I will try and go into my chemotheraphy with an open mind. Its the unknown in this battle. All the staging system is very confusing. My surgeon appeared happy with the operation. So like you advised. I will take this has a positive. Healing thoughts to you :x::x:

Baxter2

Good morning @terri m

My histology was similar to yours so I do understand your concern. Reading or hearing news which potentially impacts on our health and well-being is always difficult to absorb and process. Our mind tends to run off in various directions considering all sorts of unpleasant scenarios. This seems to be so much worse in the wee small hours too! I’ve been there and from time to time go back there too!

I had counselling at my local Maggies centre and although it was not thought that I was clinically depressed, I gave antidepressants a try. Both helped me enormously in coping with my illness and living a happier and more meaningful life. I wouldn’t ever think of either decreasing my medication or stopping it since I do believe I need all the help I can get in dealing with my life on a day to day basis.

I’m glad your starting chemo next week. I’m sure you will feel more positive once treatment starts even although you may feel a little anxious about side effects etc. I’d echo what the others have said in that, everyone is different and quite unique. Side effects and effectiveness of treatments vary in individuals. I know it’s hard, but try to keep an open mind and go with the flow. (Easier said than done I know!) draw on all the support around you, especially your lovely family. They will all want to help you in any way they can.

Please keep in touch and let us know how things go will you?

Sending all my very best wishes,

K????❤️

DianeS

Hi @terri m welcome to our forum and apologies for not having said hello sooner. I was a Stage 3 patient with poorly differentiated cells. That was 3 years ago in June. I had a recurrence in my liver that was dealt with quickly and painlessly and haven’t been on any treatment for almost 18 months. My next scan is March so I’m keeping everything crossed. I had 12 cycles of Folfox and sheer determination got me to the end of chemo, and it was definitely worth it. Hope all goes well for you, love D :x::x:

terri m
Quote from @DianeS:
Hi @terri m welcome to our forum and apologies for not having said hello sooner. I was a Stage 3 patient with poorly differentiated cells. That was 3 years ago in June. I had a recurrence in my liver that was dealt with quickly and painlessly and haven’t been on any treatment for almost 18 months. My next scan is March so I’m keeping everything crossed. I had 12 cycles of Folfox and sheer determination got me to the end of chemo, and it was definitely worth it. Hope all goes well for you, love D

Thank you Diana.
I am just off to ny first chemo treatment this morning . its lovely to hear from you and your positive journey . is folfox the oxaliplatin regime?, anyway lots if love and luck to you . will be in touck :x::x:
Terri :x:

Baxter2

Hope number 1 goes well @terri m!

K????❤️

DianeS

Hi @terri m hope all goes well for you today. Folfox is Oxaliplatin and 5-FU. I remember my oncologist saying ‘we are giving you the hard stuff’ lol. I didn’t care what he gave me so long that it worked! Thinking of you Diane :x::x::x::x::x:

terri m

Hi everyone.
Had my first oxaliplat. Didn't expect to take 5 hours. Just had awful pain in arm. The nurse had to keep adjusting the pump. Slight sickness, but not too bad. I am laying on bed with a heat pad under arm
Thank you for thinking of me.
I hope I am up to. Getting. Out tomorrow.
Love to you :x::x:

DianeS

Hi @terri m so pleased your first cycle went reasonably well. If I could give you one helpful tip it would be to start a daily diary of how you are feeling etc. It really does help to look back and see any patterns forming. Also I used to strike off my chemo cycles so I could see me working through them. Just take each day as it comes, and don’t push yourself too hard. Diane :x::x::x::x::x::x:

Baxter2

I’m so pleased you’ve got number one under your belt @terri m! The rest will be easier I’m sure!

Hopefully you’ll feel ok tomorrow and hopefully get out for a walk in the fresh air. Keep an open mind about the side effects. Sleep well!

K????❤️

terri m

Thank you so much @ baxter2 and diane I shall write down the side effects .has next one I see oncologist first.x❤️??

chris61

Hi @terri m. Good to hear you have got the first round out of the way. Do take it easy over the next few days especially if venturing out in the cold and wrap up well. I was very susceptible to anything cold during the treatment and still have occasions when I forget to let the water run warm! Keeping a diary of your situation will help as I found a pattern developed over my four cycles and could plan accordingly. I had some pain following the first session and my left hand is still a bit tender from the cannula but subsequent ones were in my right hand where the vein was more receptive and have had no problems. All the best.:x::x:

terri m

Hi chris
Thank you for your kind message. I never got out today in the end to unwell☹️ hopefully get out tomorrow. The pins & needles have been bad today. Like you say warm water is the best atm. Have you finished all your treatment now chris?
Hope you are recovering well :x:
Terri :x:

1234annie

Yes! I was T4n1mo im 36 with two beautiful kids 12 & 9. I told oncology I only want to make it till my little boy is 18. They seemed sure I would.....who knows

bexly33

I am T3cN1M0 with some vascular problems @terri m. I had same regime as you and finished chemo in November. Only had 4 cycles of Oxaliplatin due to bad side effects but carried on with the Cap tablets. Its gruelling, but you can do it. When I see how many cycles of chemo some of our members have had, I feel a bit of a wimp. Just had my first year CT scan which was cancer free.

@Wren17 it's hard isn't it to be positive. Your comments made me want to cry as you are not much younger than my daughter. We all have to have hope that we will see our children and in my case grandchildren grow up so here's to a good few years on this forum. xxx

I