New to the forum?

tigercub

secondary liver cancer

Hi im new to this forum so bear with me .i was diagnosed last august with bowel cancer and secondary liver cancer .have had 3 months of chemo recent scans show tumour in bowel is no longer visible and tumour in liver has shrunk 50% which is what we was told was needed to be possible for resection as it is too close to main vein so surgery not possible but its still too close to main vein so still not safe to operate so probably going back on chemo to see if shrink it more .i read few stories on hear aboit sucessful liver resections.but has anyone else had this problem .

Polly 1

Hi @tigercub and welcome to the forum

Good news about your bowel and liver tumours. Sounds like the chemo is doing a good job. Which chemo have you been having?

My husband also currently has a liver met that is very close to the vein so they are trying to shrink it enough for surgery. He also had a liver resection in 2016 but that one was in an 'easy' position.

tigercub

Hi polly1.i was on oxyplatin .yes there very pleased with chemo results especially bowel .just this liver one being tricky was going to have bowel surgery and liver resection but plan is changing all time . waiting for MRI on liver to see if shrunk anymore .is your husband's a secondary cancer .it's all bit daunting .shame it's come about again for your husband but I guess we all have get used to that

Polly 1

Hi @tigercub yes he has liver and lung secondary cancer from primary bowel cancer (resected 2012).

He had a liver MRI on Saturday to decide whether to continue with chemo or go to surgery again.

If you click on my name you will see a summary of operations etc

All the best

Baxter2

Good evening @tigercub and a very warm welcome to the forum! I’m sure you’ll find this a safe, friendly and supportive place.

It’s great to read your news of the reduction in your bowel tumour and liver metastases. I had a liver resection for a solitary met which was apparently in a very tricky position. I believe the surgery was a challenge but went very well. Hopefully yours will shrink further and surgery will be possible for you too!

Sending all my very best wishes,

K????❤️

GD62

Hi @tigerclub, so sorry to read about your liver surgery problem, and had a similar issue with solitary tumour on the sixth lobe near major hepatic blood vessel. The tumour shrank marginally under capox, while peritoneal and primary shrank significantly. CRS and HIPEC had to be done first and then liver seven weeks later. Anyway hope you get to operable stage.

Hugs and positive healing thoughts :x::x::x:

DianeS

Hi @tigerclub, I’m afraid I can’t help with your question, but I just wanted to say hello and welcome to our forum. It’s a great place to chat to like minded people, and it helps you not to feel so alone with this disease. Hope you find yourself in a better position soon, and that your resection can go ahead. Diane :x::x::x::x:

tigercub

Hi everyone thanks for all replays .it is very encouraging to read other people's stories that sounds similar .I use cancer research forum but hardly any posts on there about liver etc was starting to think I was rare .just waiting game is hard .

mem

Hi and welcome from me too @tigerclub.
Sorry to hear about your main vein issue, it must be frustrating I'm sure.
Just to say, I had my liver resected in 2014 and my vena cava vein was actually 'nicked' whilst being operated on. I was told it was a bit of a scary time for my team (who were amazing) due to blood loss etc. Thankfully everything worked out fine but perhaps more chemo prior to surgery would have helped to avoid this.
I think the way forward that has been suggested to you, has your welfare very much at the heart of it. It sounds like you've got a great team watching your back and heres to much more tumour shrinkage going forward!
Sending love and If there are any questions you may have, you just ask away. :x::x:

tigercub

Hi thanks for reply .its encouraging to hear other peoples success stories .it is frustrating waiting & more waiting

tigercub
Quote from @Baxter2:
Good evening @tigercub and a very warm welcome to the forum! I’m sure you’ll find this a safe, friendly and supportive place.

It’s great to read your news of the reduction in your bowel tumour and liver metastases. I had a liver resection for a solitary met which was apparently in a very tricky position. I believe the surgery was a challenge but went very well. Hopefully yours will shrink further and surgery will be possible for you too!

Sending all my very best wishes,

K????❤️

Hi i just read your profile/story wow you have been through such a lot you sound amazingly strong

Baxter2

Oh thank you for reading my story. I’m not amazingly strong at all! I have my moments, believe me! ?

tigercub
Quote from @Baxter2:
Oh thank you for reading my story. I’m not amazingly strong at all! I have my moments, believe me! ?

Well certainly sounds like you been through a lot hope your keeping well at present
Sure is a nasty illness .

Baxter2

I’m pretty well thankfully @tigercub and long may that continue :x::x::x::x::x:

tigercub

Good .let's hope so .and hopefully I'll be saying that one day.