Just Diagnosed

Jim3rg

Bowel Cancer diagnosed

Hello all,
I have also posted on the Macmillan forum, but came here after reading the booklet in the green folder I received in diagnosis.

So, last Friday a consultation with the Surgeon and Colorectal nurse confirmed I have early bowel cancer, it is sited in the part near my appendix, is 6cm and looks like its contained.

A pre-op assessment has been arranged for 21st with an admission date of 27th, the surgeon told me it would be keyhole surgery and a stoma is not planned, unless there are complications.

They did find what they are certain are a couple of small cysts in my liver for which an MRI will be scheduled. Lungs , kidneys and such all look clear.

Whilst i admit I'm a little nervous I can see the positives from this, in many ways I am very fortunate to have had this detected early. Had I not have went to the doctor becasuse of extreme tiredness, who knows what would have happened as apart from the tiredness, there were no symptoms at all.

Jim

Jim3rg

I have everything crossed for you, best of luck.

Jim

Jim3rg

ok, feeling a wee bit apprehensive this morning, will be heading off in about an hour to the review, today is the day I find out if I need chemo. I am going into the consultation expecting to be offered chemo, then at least it wont be as big a shock (thats the theory anyways) my list of questions is in my pocket and a book loaded on my phone for the wait.

Will let you know the outcome when I get back.

Jim

Baxter2

All the best for today’s appointment @Jim3rg

K💚💙💜💛❤️

jinnyp

Good luck today @Jim3rg - hope you don’t have to hang around too long :x::x:

Jim3rg

Thanks guys, last time there was a wait of 2 hours due to delays so this time I am going prepared.

Jim

AlanH

good luck Jim, I’ll look for your post later.

KatieR

Good Luck Jim
Cath. :x::x:

GD62

good luck Jimmy :)

chris61

Hope all has gone well for you 😊

Jim3rg

I am back

Liver MRI showed a cyst.

Stage T3N0M0, pathology showed no wall breach but it was close, there were cancer cells detected in the tiny blood vessels surrounding the tumor but no spread.

Referral to Oncologist already made. 3 monthly checkup already given to me.

I asked about b12 absorption and he said they will keep a check in it when the bloods are taken.

He also made a note of my numb hip and said to give it some time.

Nothing much to do now but wait for the Oncologist appointment.

take care

Jim

Just a quick update, Colorectal Nurse called with an oncologist appointment Thursday 26th April.

Artizanne
Quote from @Jim3rg:
ok, feeling a wee bit apprehensive this morning, will be heading off in about an hour to the review, today is the day I find out if I need chemo. I am going into the consultation expecting to be offered chemo, then at least it wont be as big a shock (thats the theory anyways) my list of questions is in my pocket and a book loaded on my phone for the wait.

Will let you know the outcome when I get back.

Jim

Hi @Jim3rg: It's my first time on here for a week. Yours was the first page I looked for . . .. I wanted to know how you were doing! I'm delighted to read that it's your review today. Fingers and toes crossed for you! Hope to catch up with you later. :x::x:

Artizanne
Quote from @Jim3rg:
I am back

Liver MRI showed a cyst.

Stage T3N0M0, pathology showed no wall breach but it was close, there were cancer cells detected in the tiny blood vessels surrounding the tumor but no spread.

Referral to Oncologist already made. 3 monthly checkup already given to me.

I asked about b12 absorption and he said they will keep a check in it when the bloods are taken.

He also made a note of my numb hip and said to give it some time.

Nothing much to do now but wait for the Oncologist appointment.

take care

Jim

Just a quick update, Colorectal Nurse called with an oncologist appointment Thursday 26th April.

Sorry . . . I read your posts out of order!! T3N0M0 . . .

"Nothing in the lymph nodes and no metastatic spread". Looks like they got it all!
That's fantastic news Jim. I'm so pleased. How do you feel about it?
Does that mean they're just going to do 3 monthly scans . . . or do you think the oncologist might offer you chemo "just in case" and leave it up to you to decide whether to accept?

Re your numb hip . . . has that been since you had the spinal block?

Jim3rg

@Artizanne Oveall I feel relieved and happy that they managed to catch it all. I will be having 3 monthly scans, my gut instinct tells me the oncologist will offer me chemo in which case I will take it, anything to give myself the best possible chance to get cured.
My hip has been since the spinal block yep, its starting to itch as bad as my stomach lol.
I have been thinking of you all week hoping that everything was going well for you. Good to see you on again.

Jim

Baxter2

Great news @Jim3rg! What a relief for you!

Best wishes,

K💚💙💜💛❤️

chris61

Great news @Jim3rg. Continue to take it easy and recover from your op and look forward to your birthday and theatre trips 😊😊😊

Jim3rg

Off to see the Oncologist in the morning, any suggestions on what questions I should be asking would be appreciated.

Jim

Sia

Hi @Jim3rg my husband saw the oncologist for the first time two weeks ago. We felt our oncologist covered everything and explained everything very clearly. The nurse was also great. We also have a 24 HR helpline if we have any concerns or questions. Not very helpful for you going tomorrow but if you forget things don't worry as you can always ask when you meet the nurse or doctor again.

Jim3rg

@Sia Thank you for your reply it always helps to read others experiences, gives me an idea of what to expect. Bit of overthinking and nerves catching up with me, once I am there I am sure I will be fine.

Take care.
Jim

chris61

Hi @Jim3rg, hope all goes well with the oncologist today. I'm sure you've got everything covered but there will always be help available if there is anything that's missed. Have my oncologist appointment tomorrow and the last 3 weeks since the scan could not go quickly enough!

Jim3rg

Hello all,
I have started a new thread in the treatment section, as my Oncologist has suggested a 6 month treatment with Capecitabine. 2 Weekly cycles with a week off between each cycle. so I thought I would begin a new thread.

See you all there :P

Jim