Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

charleyb

Low platelets

Hi guys so hubby is on cycle 11 mop up next week and is being told we most likely will have a delay due to low platelets. They were 90 last cycle, and the cut off at our unit is 75, seeing as they dropped 40 or so last time i`m expecting them to drop again. Has anyone had low platelets and other than a break been able to boost them? :x::x::x:

Seashells

Hi @charleyb It might be worth asking if GCSF injections will help improve things (they don't seem to offer them unless asked). I had them when all my blood results were a bit low and I was also given an extra week to to recover - this happened on both cycles 4 and 5 - I was worried at first but it is amazing how much better you feel with an extra week. In the grand scheme of things a short break isn't really a big deal - unless you have important plans for the "good" weeks.

charleyb

hey @Seashells yeah we have asked for the injection, Charlie had it alternate cycles last year, but as his other bloods are ok and really it only boosts WBC count they said no point. Its so frustrating for him as we can alter all other levels, but not platelets. I was just wondering if there were any natural boosts others have used, hes on lost of fruit/veggies and in the gym every other day :x::x:

eyeofthetiger

Hi @charleyb I think I mentioned to you before when I had low platelets that the R Marsden said if postponing the cycle for a week didn't get platelets up to the recommended level then a platelet transfusion would be considered. Hope they can get it sorted for Charley, as on cycle 11 he is so close to the finishing line. :x::x::x::x:

charleyb

I will speak to her about this thanks @eyeofthetiger . I know he is so close to the end!! All the other bloods are holding, but these pesky platelets keep dropping! She said that if still above 75 next time she will give him a small dose reduction to get us to the last one, but if they fall below 75 then she wont allow chemo and he has to have a break xx Do you rem what yours got to? :x::x::x:

eyeofthetiger

@charleyb One time there was a relief Dr in MDU and he authorised my chemo. I read on my bloods printout the next day, whilst having the chemo infusion that mine went down to 61 and the chemo still went ahead when I raised it with the nurses. Think it was a mistake and thankfully it was fine. I read up on it and it said avoid certain foods containing aspartame and no alcohol which I wasn't having at that time anyway. My last cycle was delayed by a week and went from 60 up to 75 and it went ahead. :x::x::x:

charleyb

My understanding is that only when they go down to 10 are you at risk of anything v serious like internal bleeding, but the clinics and most other units cut off is 75. Yes i read that about aspartame, he does have some alcohol (medicinal purposes only of course ;) ) but not much. I`m thinking we will be having a delay, and whilst not the end of the world its just frustrating xx I hope you enjoyed your celebration!!! :x::x::x:

eyeofthetiger

@charleyb As much as I was against having a break in chemo, I loved having a week off and felt so much better physically and mentally going into the next cycle. My Onc said it wouldn't effect the efficacy of the chemo by having a one week break. Hopefully Charley's platelets wont drop too low that it can't go ahead.

I had a spicy curry and a couple of glasses of fizz and had such a good evening. Woke up this morning to the blue sky and sun shining and realised that cancer wasn't my first thought. :x::x::x::x:

Tiffany

Hi @charleyb. Same happened to my hubby towards last few rounds. He was advised by his oncology team to take papaya leaf extract. You can't find it in the shops. I've added the link of the place I got them from. I also added papaya into smoothies and made sure Mike got lots of rest and exercised frequently. He managed to get by each round....even though the last few were close to being called off.....he got through all. Have no idea if the papaya leaf worked but worth a go. Xxx x

www.harmonic-health.com/category/papaya/

Baxter2

I once had low platelets and had chemo delayed by a week. I was also due to get a Hickman line inserted at the time and I had to wait around while they checked the level again later on the same day when they had risen marginally. They were ok enough to go ahead without a bleed. It turned out fine and I’ve never had them low since. My neutrophils are now hovering at the lower end of the scale and we’re only 1.6 last week when I had to go to A&E so I’ll be stressing about that this weekend (going out with friends on train and for dinner) maybe I need to wear a face mask?! 😂😂

Fingers crossed Charley’s hold up for the duration of his chemo!

K💚💙💜💛❤️

charleyb

Thankyou @Tiffany i will look at papaya, anything is worth a shot!!

Weirdly @Baxter2 his neuts are at 5, when last 6 cycles they went down to 1.2 so he got the booster. Normally platelets plummet when the other bloods are low, but not for us, apparently just a combo of chemo and surgery taking its toll, i seem to rem the hospital when he had his bowel op saying platelets were low then so it makes sense that they are affected now. I will be keeping everything crossed we can finish these last two

:x::x::x:

Baxter2

And me too @charleyb ! 🤞🤞🤞

K💚💙💜💛❤️

charleyb

Woooo hooooo platelets are 97!!!! so full steam ahead for chemo tomo. Thankyou @Tiffany hes had papaya every day :x::x::x:

Sele2017

@charleb, very good news and I hope the treatment went wel. All the best🤗:x::x:

charleyb

It did thanks @Sele2017 , he actually tolerates chemo very well with very few side effects, the worst for him is fatigue. Hope you are well :x::x:

jane brown

My husband had low platelets before his op, they were down to 59 but he still had his op andthey just gave him a transfusion platelets during and after and all was well. In fact after all that when they were next checked they were 157!

charleyb

Thankyou @jane brown i gave him a week of papaya and vit C and they went up to 97 so no need to delay, he only has one cycle of chemo left so hopefully they stay above 75.:x::x: