When bowel cancer returns

John1954

Peritoneal and omentum cancer in men

I was a very fit 63 year old last year. I was diagnosed with anal cancer in July 2017 and received chemo and radiotherapy in Sept/ Oct. Progress was good by January 2018 and I was clear, but after a CT and MRI scans in February 2018 I was told I have cancer in the peritoneum and omentum which is not curable. I am about to receive the 2nd of 3 sessions of chemo with carboplatin and docetaxel.
I have been told I have up to 2 years left.
Apparently my cancer is quite rare. Is there anyone out there who has experienced similar news and how are you doing? There is very little about peritoneal cancer in men. I would be interested in anything I can do - healthy eating etc - to stay alive. I thought I always did the right things anyway - not heavy drinking, lots of exercise, healthy eating, but any tips welcome.....

HH79

Hi @John1954 sorry about your recurrence. Lots of us have / have had Peritoneal cancer. Chemo can work well on it and great if shrinks then you could be eligible for a procedure called HiPEC which has the aim to get rid of it, sometimes curative!! But if not, gives you time off chemo. Do google HIPEC. Another procedure called PIPAC is for Peritoneal mets and coming on trial to Cardiff. Not a massive op like HIPEC. I’ve not heard of the chemo you’re having, sorry. A lot of us have Folfox/Folfiri or Folfoxiri. Folfox and Folfoxiri contain Oxilaplatin which I was told works well on Peri mets. Good luck :x::x::x:

HH79

@John1954 I was told the best natural anti oxidants / anti inflammatories to be green tea and tumeric. :x::x:

John1954
Quote from @HH79:
Hi @John1954 sorry about your recurrence. Lots of us have / have had Peritoneal cancer. Chemo can work well on it and great if shrinks then you could be eligible for a procedure called HiPEC which has the aim to get rid of it, sometimes curative!! But if not, gives you time off chemo. Do google HIPEC. Another procedure called PIPAC is for Peritoneal mets and coming on trial to Cardiff. Not a massive op like HIPEC. I’ve not heard of the chemo you’re having, sorry. A lot of us have Folfox/Folfiri or Folfoxiri. Folfox and Folfoxiri contain Oxilaplatin which I was told works well on Peri mets. Good luck

Thank HH79 I'll definitely ask my oncologist about this. She didn't mention it at all

Gary not Gavin

Hello John sorry to hear that news but whatever you do t make sure you do everything no looking back and leaving money. Spend every penny on yourself go on you deserve it. And who knows people get things wrong ie 2 years so could be back saying your skint and asking for money lol.

Sent with love and feeling and compassion

Regards and all the best in the world.

Gavin :x::x::x:

Bridget55

Hi @John1954 . As @HH79 has mentioned.. please take a look at my patient story...:x:

Thorney77

Hi @John1954 - so sorry to hear your news as must be quite a blow for you & so very brave to share your story with us on this forum. I was diagnosed with secondary bowel cancer (peritoneal surface disease) a few months after anterior resection in February 2015 for removal of sigmoid colon for Stage 4 KRAS mutant adenocarcinoma tumour in colon. Mine was inoperable as small bowel involvement too. So - was on Folfiri Chemo from Oct 2015 onwards. Since moving across the waters to Northern Ireland in May 2016, nearly 2 years ago, secondaries appear to have shrunk & so have not required further chemo. I know I’m not cured & that it may recur at any time & am awaiting result of March CT Scan. I do loads of cycling with my long suffering Hubby who waits patiently at the top of some many climbs we do 😆. I actually cycled just under 8,000 miles last year. If not cycling then in gym - or power walking. I hold on to the fact that apparently there is a strong body of evidence that exercise helps physically & of course mentally & emotionally. Hence Move More Macmillan

be.macmillan.org.uk/be/p-19569-move-more-guide.aspx

No more afternoon naps for me though lovely Hubby still brings me delicious wheaten bread 😋 toast in bed for brekkie😍.

I know that my cancer will probably return sooner or later and it’s the uncertainty which has been the biggest hurdle for me. but meanwhile I make the most of life whilst I can. Every day’s a bonus for me. Whilst I’ve actively participated very little on this Forum, it has been a huge support & enables me not to feel so isolated. So many of us are on on different stages of a similar journey - albeit some experiencing steeper climbs than others - a bit like cycling I guess. So many types of chemo, bowel cancer & secondaries. I’m learning to live with the uncertainty of bowel cancer & its unpredictability. I do hope you have support at home by with friends. Meanwhile do let us know how you get on. Apologies for this very long message.
Best wishes

HH79

Hi @Thorney77 lovely to hear from you. You give all us Peri gang that aren’t currently eligible for HiPEC hope! @Wren17 @Mum37 @sophia @Highkaren and good luck with your scan! Lots of love :x::x:

Thorney77
Quote from @HH79:
Hi @Thorney77 lovely to hear from you. You give all us Peri gang that aren’t currently eligible for HiPEC hope! @Wren17 @Mum37 @sophia @Highkaren and good luck with your scan! Lots of love

Hey @HH79 thanks so much to you for your kind words 🙏 . Had FOLFOX prior to anterior resection in Feb 2015. Peripheral neuropathy continued in feet between treatments & line infected with pseudomonas also blood clots - what a Cancer Diva & Drama Queen I’ve been😳. When diagnosed with Peri Mets was put on Folfiri which either that, or NI spiritual air, weather or exercise 😆 seems to have shrunk it - for now anyway. I guess everyone’s response is different. So onward & upwards. Majorca Cycling holiday soon so that should put back my expiry date & extend my shelf life considerably😊. :x::x: