Stage 4 bowel cancer

Liriodendron345

It is a military operation @Baxter2! I do carry everything in an additional cabin bag (agreed in advance by airline special assistance) but I cannot see that you would get away with ice through security, - maybe ask for some on plane? Alternatively, if you haven’t done so maybe contact special assistance and ask for their advice re: cool bag etc. Incidentally liquid medicines, syringes etc still have to be placed in plastic bags and placed in tray when you go through security but this is all doable. Thankfully smuggling chocolate is no longer a criminal offence in UK ........., have a great time, Kim :x::x::x:

Baxter2

Thank you for that @Liriodendron345

I'm flying easyJet. Do I call them and ask to speak to special assistance or the airport special assistance? I'm thinking packing the lot into my case in the hold might be easier but I'll ask them for advice. Love how you lead my way Kim! I look to you as my mentor, friend and special advisor! Thank you! I'll keep you posted!

Lots of love,

Karen 💜💙❤️💚💛

Liriodendron345

Morning @Baxter2, thank you for the compliments which are absolutely reciprocated, but I am not that good as I realise now that I misread ice pack above for ice!! ‘Official’ advice on this is to carry essential medication with you in cabin bag, firstly as hold luggage can go off on its own adventure and secondly security X Ray may lead to them opening your hold luggage to further investigate syringes and you would not be there to explain etc. I would ring easyJet special assistance and explain that you have to carry this particular medication at low temps and need to use a cool pag with ice packs. In addition your chocolate would be kept nice and cool 😀😀😀 .............
Looking forward to being able to join a future Penny Brohn trip, - sadly I had already booked to go to Lake Maggiore .........., Kim xxx

www.easyjet.com/...ing/special-assistance/contact-us

Baxter2

Aww, thanks so much for this @Liriodendron345! You really do look out for me! I'll contact the special assistance team this morning as you suggested. The last thing I want is to run into any problems at the airport!

I'm sorry you have to go to Lake Maggiore instead of Bristol but looks like it's to late to cancel your trip and alter your travel plans 😂😂 next time hopefully!

Lots of love,

Karen 💜💙💚💛❤️

Seashells

Hello everyone. Just to let you know I won't be able to make it next week. I'm disappointed because I was really looking forward to meeting you all. The reason for my late cancellation is that I've had my chemo deferred a couple of times over the last month. I fully expected it to have been over by now. Anyway, I'm now sitting in the big chair having my last chemo. I did think about asking for a delay but on balance I think getting my last cycle (#12 Folfox) out of the way is more important. Past experience has been that day 5-7 are pretty rough and these coincide exactly with Penny Brohn. Hopefully someone on the waiting list will get a call - if it is someone on here please enjoy it! I'm looking forward to hearing all about it on here and if there is anyone who couldn't make the June dates but still wants to go, please get in touch and we can organise another "bowlies" Brohn break soon.

Baxter2

Aww that's a shame @Seashells!! I'd have loved to meet you too but completely understand your reasons. I'd be the same only my off days will be mon and Tuesday so might be a bit of a challenge for me getting up and off to airport ✈️ early doors!

Take care and hope to meet you one day!

Lots of love,

K💛💜💚💙❤️

Seashells

Thanks @Baxter2 I'm sure the excitement will help you get up early and meeting the others will carry you through. If I thought there was any chance of me coping I would have been there but I have to be realistic, I'd have struggled with the 2 hour drive and I usually need a couple of naps on those days. I really hope they offer the p!ace to someone else on here. I think attending with a group who all have something in common will be particularly beneficial. Looking forward to hearing all about it next week. ☺ :x::x::x:

Bridget55

Hi @Seashells sorry to miss you but you have to listen to your body. No doubt will get an update from us ! X good luck with final chemo :x::x:

Baxter2

Hi @Seashells

You're spot on! We all pretty much know our limitations don't we? I'm a bit nervous about travelling by plane alone but see it as a big challenge of which I'll be very proud to achieve tbh. Only just over a year ago I was being wheeled through Edinburgh airport in a wheelchair as an assisted passenger after my big op in Basingstoke and now, you'd never even know I'd had all that surgery and I'm flying on my own! ✈️

You always have to listen to your body and we just know don't we?

Sending loads of love and hopefully we can meet one day!

Karen 💛💜💚💙❤️

Bridget55

Good luck @Baxter2. Celebrate each milestone. I can appreciate the nervousness and you know you are in safe hands at the other end. Enjoy every moment of what will be a beautiful scenic flight over the UK. Xxx we will celebrate this solo flying milestone in Bristol :x:

Seashells

Thank you @Baxter2 @Bridget55 I'm looking forward to hearing all about it. I'm pleased to say my PICC line was taken out today and I was offered a full CT scan tomorrow morning at 9am thanks to a cancellation - I was expecting to have to wait weeks so I'm glad I've put off Penny Brohn for now. There will still be a wait for results and the worry that brings but at least I've got my appointments lined up. Have a lovely time - the weather is going to be fantastic. :x::x::x:

Baxter2

Great news @Seashells!hopefully you'll not have to wait too long for the results now!

I'm sitting at the airport now but have struggled yesterday and this morning with fatigue, 'loo' issues and feeling rubbish! Thank God for Loperamide!! 😉

Lots of love,

Karen 💛💜💚💙❤️

mem

Hope you all have a wonderful and relaxing time at Penny Brohn. Pics please 😀:x::x::x:

Baxter2

All arrived safely and checked in! Amazing place!

K💛💜💚💙❤️

tigercub
Quote from @Naomi6861:
I've been to quite a few courses at Penny Brohn including the overnight stays. The whole place is amazing, you will all benefit from it abd fall in love with place. The food is very healthy and nourishing, the rooms are lovely and they have an overnight nurse who you can call upon if needed. Rooms come with extra blankets and hot water bottle. The gardens are beautiful as are the staff. I promise you, you will get so much from your stay and make new friends along the way

Hi Naomi 6861
I read that you have been to penny brohns before .can husband's come as well or is it just patients I love sound of center but wouldn't be able drive that distance.thanks for any advice

Polly 1

Brilliant to hear your line is out @Seashells and even better to get a quick scan - just where did they get that appointment from??? You were very lucky to get such a quick cancellation 😊
C's was 7.30pm at Shrewsbury on day 7 but he wouldn't change it in case he didnt get another for ages....we can even walk to the other hospital as you know!
We've already been waiting 2 weeks for results but are seeing the Oncologist in 2 weeks so hopefully will get them by then anyway. They say taking 4 to 6 weeks now.

Seashells

I almost turned the appointment down @Polly 1 because it fell on Day 5 which is usually pretty bad but when she said the next available would be six weeks I rapidly changed my mind! I arrived at PRH early and was seen straight away - all done by 9:05am! My onc said CT reports are taking 5 weeks but the radiographer wrote down my follow-up appointment date (3 weeks time) so you never know. At the moment, I'm just happy to be PICC line free so I can have a proper shower and even if the report does take 6 weeks having such a quick scan has shortened my expected wait.
I'm actually feeling quite well at the moment compared with previous cycles. I guess it might be just relief that I've finally finished the course of treatment and the "crash" is still to come. So I'll just fill my diary with small things to keep me occupied now and try to put the scanxiety to the back of my mind. Fingers crossed C's report is good - will be thinking of you. :x:

Seashells
Quote from @tigercub:
I read that you have been to penny brohns before .can husband's come as well or is it just patients I love sound of center but wouldn't be able drive that distance.thanks for any advice

Partners and carers are welcome at Penny Brohn @tigercub I'm hoping that I can arrange another date to coincide with other members of the forum if anyone is interested? I need to find out if my stoma reversal is going ahead first though - I should know in a few weeks.

tigercub

Hi seashells
Thank for reply my present chemo should finish end August but then I'll have scans I guess .I would think September good for me or after last chemo and before scans .good luck with news stoma