Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

Jim3rg

Capecitabine trip so far

Hello all you good people, I am now on day 5 of the Capecitabine trail, nothing to report on the side effects. I had some diarrhea last weekend but this started before my first dose, so probably due to something I ate. A quick call to the helpline to. make sure it was ok to take imodium followed by one dose, took care of it.

I have had aching feet the last couple of. nights and I have made a note of it in the diary, however this could just be due to me being in my feet most of the day.

I know its early days, but just thought I would report in.

Take care folks

Jim

Jim3rg

@Elmac Ouch, that looks pretty bad, is there anything you can do to ease the discomfort?

I have finished week 2 of cycle 5, its been uneventful.. only 3 more cycles to go, judging from the posts. and photos, I am fortunate to have gotten away with it very lightly so far. Just the temporary hearing loss which was the worst of the side effects.

Good Elmac, hope this issue resolves soon.

Hugs
Jim

Elmac

Hi @Jim3rg - I get home tomorrow and will see what awaits me as to whether I have to go back onto Capecitabine 4th cycle or not. I have been slathering my feet with Moo Cream and Psion cream since the beginning of cycle 1 and i think that has helped a lot. Feet are now tender but not too painful - the skin just peels off in strips as I think it dies.
Have had a great river cruise, but in a couple of places we had to be bussed between towns - i.e. Nuremberg to Passau and Vienna to Budapest as the water levels were too low to allow the cruise ships through. In fact we were the last boat to get down the Rhine - our captain sailed through the nights in order to get us as far down the river as possible - at one stage there was only one foot of water under the keel. Lovely boat, crew and food - I'm sure I've put on half a stone in the last two weeks!
Glad to hear that you haven't had many side effects
Elaine

Jim3rg

Hello folks,
Sorry I havent been on lately, things are hectic at home at the moment what with all the construction happening around us.

This Saturday sees me starting my final chemo cycle, last few cycles, my off week has seen the worst of the side effects. Also during this journey I thought I would never make it through, but thanks to you all and a couple of you who send me messages to make sure I am ok, I can see light at the end of the tunnel and it's not a train.

Thanks folks for the support throughout this journey.

Take care everyone.
Jim

AlanH

Hi @Jim3rg, well done mate, you are about to ‘last the course’ and finish your adjuvant chemo. Hopefully it will have done the business and you can get on with your life now. I will continue to check in from time to time as you were one of the reasons why I coped in the early days leading up to my bowel surgery. I am still kind of on my journey, in fact I had a CT scan this evening looking at thorax/abdo/pelvis. They looking to make sure I’ve had no spread I guess and I have to wait till 19th now for results 😩 The wait is so hard. Talk soon, Alan.

Jim3rg

Thanks @AlanH however we hit a snag and the final cycle has been delayed for 2 weeks. Yesterday seen me suffer with bad diohreea, stomach cramps and a sudden onslaught of back pain and hip pain, my kidney area was throbbing all night, I have been off my food since Monday. My oncologist told me that a lot of people have bad final weeks.
He wasnt happy about the back and kidney pain, so he sent me for an xray today and has ordered an MRI of my spine.

It just seems like everything has came at once this week, he did say he would decide on the final cycle once he has the results in.

Hope your doing ok Alan and best wishes for your treatment.

Jim

Elmac

Hi @Jim3rg and @AlanH
Sorry to hear about all you have been through these last couple of weeks Jim - my main problem was the feet and rash on arms, so no diohrea or anything, but that was enough for them to stop my chemo after 3 cycles. They said I would be 'very closely monitored' but when I received the 5 year monitoring plan, my next blood test and CT scan was for next March! I went to the GP and told him 'best practice' elsewhere was after 3 months - anyway they are now scheduling a CT scan when I get back from Scotland on 24th October.
Hope all OK with the back and kidney pain and the X-ray shows nothing unusual .
Like Alan said - you both helped me get through the early days.

I met up with 4 of the forum for lunch yesterday - it was great to meet the real people and put real faces to the names. Baxter2 has already put photos of us on the forum.
Take care both of you
Elaine

Jim3rg

@Elmac Good luck on the 24th hope all goes well for you also good that your meeting up with folk. this forum is a wonderfully supportive place thats for sure.
My MRI is tomorrow, I didnt know they worked on a Saturday, hopefully all will be OK. My back and hips seem better today but can still feel the pain. I woke up this morning with a hangover, even though I hadn't drank a drop.

Take care Elmac hope all goes well for you.

Jim

Baxter2

Baxter2

And here we are again! :x::x:

terri m
Quote from @Baxter2:
And here we are again!

Wish I was there . please could you let me know names of you all... Everyone looks amazing xxx👍💚💗

Baxter2

Hi @terri m .....No problem!

Left to right......@dennis @Elmac opposite Elmac, there's me, @Adnyl and @Highkaren

Planning an Edinburgh get together in December! 😉👍

Lots of love

Karen💚💜💛💙❤️

Elmac

@Jim3rg - hope all goes well with the MRI today Jim and you don't have to wait too long for the results
Elaine

Jim3rg

MRI all done, took half an hour but I was so relaxed I almost fell asleep what with the realxing music playing through the headphones. Results of MRI and Xray will be ready next week.

Hope you all are doing ok.

Jim

AlanH

hoping MRI scan all clear @Jim3rg, good that you get the results next week 👍🏻 let us know how things are 🤞🏻

Jim3rg

Thanks @AlanH Inhope things are going well for you.

Jim

bettebette

Best wishes for your MRI results @Jim3rg

Jim3rg

MRI resutls and xray were clear. I also had my last visit to the chemo unit. I collected my Capecitabine which is a lower dose because of the side effects last couple of weeks, and came home after thanking all the staff. Feeling pretty good abour my last visit but in a way i will miss the place.

take care guys and keep your chin up.

Jim

Elmac

Glad to hear @Jim3rg that you can now see the light at the end of the tunnel and your chemo trip will soon be over. You will feel so much better in a couple of months time! Glad to here the MRI and Xray were clear. Onwards and upwards!
Elaine

AlanH

that is fantastic news @Jim3rg, I am so pleased for you 😄👍🏻, I get my results next Friday for my first six month CT scan to check for any spread or abnormalities. We have to keep in touch just to check in with each other, do you have WhatsApp? we could message any time we feel, @Elmac you might be interested in this?

Jim3rg

thanks @Elamc @AlanH
They have a wee cupboard with a mural inside, on the inside of one door they have a blackboard where you can write a slogan, on the other door you chose symbols to represent your future. Once you do this, they take your photo once you have ended your chemo unit appointments.
I chose friends and family support and wrote on the blackboard 'Beating cancer one day at a time.
I think its a nice way of marking your progress.
Good luck Alan hope things go well for you.

Jim