Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

Jim3rg

Capecitabine trip so far

Hello all you good people, I am now on day 5 of the Capecitabine trail, nothing to report on the side effects. I had some diarrhea last weekend but this started before my first dose, so probably due to something I ate. A quick call to the helpline to. make sure it was ok to take imodium followed by one dose, took care of it.

I have had aching feet the last couple of. nights and I have made a note of it in the diary, however this could just be due to me being in my feet most of the day.

I know its early days, but just thought I would report in.

Take care folks

Jim

Baxter2

Excellent! Can't wait to See you both tomorrow @Elmac and @Highkaren

K💜💚💙❤️💛

Highkaren

@Elmac ...I can still do tomorrow if you want to meet up :x:

Jim3rg

Started cycle 4 last Saturday, I woke that morning with partial hearing loss in left ear, thoight it was wax so used olive oil drops which didnt work. I went to the GP this moring and he confirmed there was no wax in the ear. After talking to the ENT casualty ar Newcastle Freeman Hospital, he prescribed Prednisolone along with an appointment for ENT casualty dept on Tuesday.
As a precaution I called the helpline and they said to stop the Capecitabine until I see the ENT guy on Tuesday. Will this alter my chemo shedule at all?

Jim

Elmac

Hi @Highkaren - thanks for thinking of this, but now my husband wants to spend more time with our grand-daughter, and there would be problems with getting me back to Edinburgh in time to meet our Australian friends if he goes off with Abi for the afternoon, so can we leave it until I come up to Scotland again in October - I will be house, horse and dog sitting between the 5th and 23rd Oct.Our problem is we are only here this time for a few days to meet up with old friends from Australia who are arriving late tomorrow afternoon and we go back home on Monday.

Really disappointed that we have had to cancel was so looking forward to meeting you and @Baxter2, but will definitely have more time in October and there will only be me to organise (rather than husband and family) Thought it was all working out nicely but understand Karen's chemo can't be changed. Oh well, that's one of the problems of this C-journey of ours, plans made have to be changed all the time.

Elaine

Baxter2

I'm so disappointed too @Elmac! I hadn't realised how much it's mucked up my social diary! Obviously meeting you was the highlight but I was also supposed to be starting a fitness class with a friend tomorrow afternoon. As my pump is being disconnected sat afternoon, it's scuppered our plans to have lunch with 2 other couples on Sat too!! Grrrrr! I'm hoping lunch can be changed to tea on sat so that's omething I suppose! I just hope it all happens tomorrow! Very frustrating!!!

Hope you have a nice time for the remainder of your stay and I'm looking forward to meeting in October!!!

Lots of love,

Karen 💜💚💛💙❤️

Highkaren

No worries @Baxter2 @Elmac , if we go for October, before the 9th would be good for me as hoping to go to South Africa for 2 weeks from the 10th :x:

Jim3rg

Sitting in Chemo room waiting on the docs decision on weather to reduce the Capecitabine dose due to my liver function test being high. Should find out in 20 minutes.

Jim

Jim3rg

Ok decision made, full dose prescribed but bloods needed on Thursday to see if the dose is ok for me.

Jim

Elmac

Hi @Jim3rg - I saw oncologist 10 days ago and they have currently taken me right off the Capcetabine - although I was given a month's holiday anyway as we are now on a river cruise (Amsterdam to Budapest) so not sure if I am to get cycle 4 or not. Oncologist very worried about the drug related rash that has developed on my arms - but it is slowly subsiding now that I am off the chemo and I can now walk on my feet again - which is just as well, as we are doing a 2 hour walk around Cologne this afternoon. Weather very sunny and hot so am keeping out of the sun, but enjoying the view outside the big picture window in the lounge.
Good luck with the next dose of Chemo - hope you can take it OK
Elaine

Bear G

Hi @Jim3rg
It’s good your team are being so diligent with you. I think I may have mentioned before that I had a number of dose reductions before we got to a level that worked for me.
Fingers crossed you can find that balance too.
Big hugs
:x::x:

Bear G

Hi @Elmac
So glad things have settled down so you can enjoy your holiday.
I have that thing with the feet too, just couldn’t face putting my feet on the floor. Dose reductions sorted that out though.
Haven’t had the rash though, hopefully that’s somethythe break can sort out for you.
Enjoy the break and enjoy Koln
Big hugs
:x::x:

Elmac

Thanks @Bear G and @Jim3rg - Koln or Cologne to us British, was a beautiful city but much too hot for the likes of me to walk around for so long - our Guide was very knowledgeable, but at the end of 3 hours all we wanted was a seat and a cold beer! My eyes were giving me trouble that day - I think it was a mixture of the sweat and suntan cream seeping down from under my hat into my eyes so that in the end I could hardly see. Very glad to get back to the boat and have a cool shower.

Yesterday we had a rest day and didn't do any of the excursions but enjoyed a quiet day sailing down the Rhine watching the scenery go by - there were only a few of us on the boat as the others had all gone off on various excursions and walking tours.

Have been wearing long sleeves so arms are subsiding and feet improving every day. Will have to see when I get back as to what happens next.

@Baxter2 - hope you are enjoying your Majorca holiday is not too hot but no doubt you are cooling off in a pool or the sea.

@Jim3rg - hope the full dose doesn't affect your ears, hands, feet or anything else and you are coping well with it.

Elaine

Baxter2

Glad you’re having a great time @Elmac! Ours is so relaxing but very hot! I’m hardly out of the pool! :x::x::x::x:

AlanH

@Jim3rg how did blood test go yesterday? Your LFT’s any better?

Jim3rg

@AlanH Last week my LFT's were 186, today the result was 88, so its business as usual, Only 3 cycles to go after this one. @Elmac @Baxter2 Not many cycles left so lets hope all goes well.

Jim

AlanH

that’s great news @Jim3rg 👍🏻

Sia

Great News!!! @Jim3rg :x:

Elmac

Still on holiday - currently in Prague and on holiday from the Capecitabine for the last 3 weeks as well. Biggest problem at the moment is my peeling feet - but reading on the forum, it looks like this seems a regular occurrence with those on chemo. Does make doing all the walking tours a little difficult if out too long on the cobble stones. Just got back from walking tour 5 hours walking tour of Prague - but only covered 2.7 miles in total, and this is what my feet look like now!

Jim3rg

@Elmac Ouch, that looks pretty bad, is there anything you can do to ease the discomfort?

I have finished week 2 of cycle 5, its been uneventful.. only 3 more cycles to go, judging from the posts. and photos, I am fortunate to have gotten away with it very lightly so far. Just the temporary hearing loss which was the worst of the side effects.

Good Elmac, hope this issue resolves soon.

Hugs
Jim

Elmac

Hi @Jim3rg - I get home tomorrow and will see what awaits me as to whether I have to go back onto Capecitabine 4th cycle or not. I have been slathering my feet with Moo Cream and Psion cream since the beginning of cycle 1 and i think that has helped a lot. Feet are now tender but not too painful - the skin just peels off in strips as I think it dies.
Have had a great river cruise, but in a couple of places we had to be bussed between towns - i.e. Nuremberg to Passau and Vienna to Budapest as the water levels were too low to allow the cruise ships through. In fact we were the last boat to get down the Rhine - our captain sailed through the nights in order to get us as far down the river as possible - at one stage there was only one foot of water under the keel. Lovely boat, crew and food - I'm sure I've put on half a stone in the last two weeks!
Glad to hear that you haven't had many side effects
Elaine