Life with bowel cancer

fufa

Constipation

Constipation
Hi everyone,
I'm new on this forum and not sure I'm on the right group to ask questions.
Been diagnosed with DukeC bowel cancer in Sep/2015. Had a subtotal laparoscopic colectomy in Nov/2015 and followed by 12 cycles with chemotherapy in Jan/2016. Finished my treatments in Jul/2016 and back to work with part time contract.
The problem is I'm most of the time constipated and therefore, I've to take laxative everyday. My stool is hard despite me eating plenty of fibre and lot of water, 2 litres per day at least. This constipation creates piles for me which I have them banded twice already. At the end I might end up with haemorrhoids operation!
Is there anybody have similar problem like me? Or any advices would be very grateful...
Thank you,
Fufa

Sparkles

@fufa maybe just try a glass of prune juice 1st thing in the morning before any food so your stomach is empty :x::x:

Scardycat

I know it’s important to drink plenty with high fibre or it can form a hard plug. Read in the paper this week that mango is particularly good

fufa
Quote from @Sparkles:
Hi @fufa sorry for the very short reply but i have the same problem .... prune juice! Little miracle in a glass on a morning before food, works a treat, hope it helps ... Also i like to have a smoothie in a morning, so sometimes i do a banana, milk and throw a few prunes in, yummy 😋

Hi Sparkles,
Do you mean fresh prune juice? Where did you buy it? I’ve a look around but couldn’t find them. I saw some carton prune juice in Tesco but I don’t think it’s fresh.
Thanks 🙏
Fufa

Sparkles

@fufa i just buy mine from Asda! Its in a carton on the shelf, not the fridges with the fresh oranges etc ..... about half a glass as soon as i get up, gets things moving :x::x:

fufa

Oh! Thanks a lot, I will get it tomorrow and try and see from there on.
Thanks again Sparkles :x:

Baxter2

Hi @fufa

I never have constipation but have the opposite problem which I manage with diet and loperamide!

When I had my liver resection (before my CRS and HIPEC) I had awful constipation in Hospital. The cure was a large carton of prune juice! Amazing! It was so good and effective, I donated the second half of the carton to my next door neighbour in the ward and it was her saviour too! Try it!

Best wishes,

K💛💜💙💚❤️

Sandy10

Hi @fufa. I have same problem, I eat so much fruit and fibre , drink plenty of water and still struggle to go 🚽 !! As the good people her recommend, prune juice, amazing saviour!!! All the best :x::x:

fufa

Thanks Sandy,
I defo will try this fruit juice miracle.
Then will let everybody know how it goes :x::x:

fufa
Quote from @Baxter2:
Hi @fufa

I never have constipation but have the opposite problem which I manage with diet and loperamide!

When I had my liver resection (before my CRS and HIPEC) I had awful constipation in Hospital. The cure was a large carton of prune juice! Amazing! It was so good and effective, I donated the second half of the carton to my next door neighbour in the ward and it was her saviour too! Try it!

Best wishes,

K💛💜💙💚❤️

Hi Baxter2,
Thanks so much for the tip!
I’ve got a carton of prune juice today and will have it before breakfast tomorrow. Will keep you posted.
:x::x:

Baxter2

Looking forward to good news of lots of 💩💩💩💩💩💩 in the morning @fufa! 😂😂

K💛💜💙💚❤️

KatieR

Hello @fufa Im only a relative but suffer badly with constipation ...I drink plenty ,eat fruit and vegetables etc I know its not pc to say so but bran flakes and similar breakfast cerials totally bung me up Frash orange juice works for me and an occasional Dulcolax
Cath :x::x:

GD62

Hello @KatieR

First line constipation usually treated with Movicol Sachets, cranking up the dose to get a response, then maybe add another with different mode of action such as senna. Obviously ensure you drink plenty fluids and keep mobile to help move the pooh.

Good luck :x:

fufa

Hi Baxter 2,
Just to let you know that prune juice is miracle!! It works for me and so far two days without laxative!!!.
Thanks again,
Fufa

Quote from @Baxter2:
Looking forward to good news of lots of 💩💩💩💩💩💩 in the morning @fufa! 😂😂

K💛💜💙💚❤️

Sparkles

@fufa great news :x::x:

Baxter2

Ahhh, brilliant news @fufa!

Here's to many more pleasant 💩!

K💚💛💜💙❤️

fufa

🤣🤣🤣🤣
Thank you Baxter2, I’m over the moon 🌓!
I should have visit this forum sooner but I’m here now.
Hope you’re doing well too.
Xx

Quote from @Baxter2:
Ahhh, brilliant news @fufa!

Here's to many more pleasant 💩!

K💚💛💜💙❤️

Baxter2

@fufa

Haha! You're making me smile! Many of us have been 'over the moon' about successful 💩!!

:x::x::x::x::x::x::x::x:

fufa

Hi Sparkles, just to let you know prune juice is excellent for me. I’ve been to the toilet without laxative so thanks so much for your advice.
😘

Quote from @Sparkles:
@fufa maybe just try a glass of prune juice 1st thing in the morning before any food so your stomach is empty

Sandy10

Excellent news. @fufa. Really pleased for you. Keep the cupboard stocked up. 💩👍🏻 :x:

fufa

Thank you Sandy10, have bought two more cartons of prune juice today just in case it runs out! 🤣🤣

Quote from @Sandy10:
Excellent news. @fufa. Really pleased for you. Keep the cupboard stocked up. 💩👍🏻