Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

Angelica

Zoladex or Merina to stop heavy periods during chemo?

I have just had my second round of chemo but got my period just after and couldn’t stop bleeding.
I haven’t been on any contraceptive as I only have one ovary and my womb. The doctors suggested I took the Zoladex as my neutrofils were too low and getting the Merina is too risky as I could get an infection. The doctors are now saying that perhaps for the length of the treatment - I have another 10 chemo sessions to go- I should put a Merina in when my neutrofils are up. Has anyone had any heavy period problems during Folfox chemo?

Baxter2

Hi @Angelica and a very warm welcome to the forum!

I'm older than you and our situations are very different but I did have the mirena coil (intrauterine system) inserted twice for a good 14 years prior to having it removed complete with uterus, tubes and ovaries during Cytoreductive surgery and HIPEC last year.

Not only was it a great contraceptive but more than that, stopped my periods and gave me no problems at all. If you want long term contraception and no hassle with periods (I think most women's periods stop or are much much lighter) go for it if your neutrophils are fine and your doctors are in agreement.

Wishing you all the best with your ongoing treatment,

K💛💜💙💚❤️

angepange

Hiya, I also had a Mirena coil. Like Baxter it wasn’t related to bleeding during chemo, but stopped my periods for 10 years, the whole time I had it , with minimal side effects. Good luck solving this problem, it must be horrible to have this side effect and hopefully one of the solutions will solve it for you.:x::x:

Angelica

Thank you so much guys! Yes I think I am going to go for the Merina if everything is ok - neutrofils etc - I can’t go through this again as by having a period, I was in hospital for a whole week. I didn’t have time to put it before I started chemo as there was only 2 weeks between surgery and chemo starting. I didn’t really wanted to put something inside me just before chemo either. But it looks like I won’t have any options.