Life with bowel cancer

tigercub

Swimmers

Hi everyone just a query for people s thoughts .I started chemo Monday no picc line just into hand .nurse advise no swimming in public pools full of filth to avoid infection and paddle at sea not actually swimming while on treatment .have any of you been swimming or had different advice .I don't want put myself at risk but don't want become too paranoid.i will check with doc on Friday

Applejack

I have been swimming while on chemo. I know there are risks of infection but I think chlorine kills most stuff off so personally is a level of risk I am happy with. It wasn't mentioned by my team. I've seen other people on here whose oncologists have said the excersise benefits outweigh the infection risks. However, worth discussing with your doctor further so you are fully informed.

Baxter2

Good morning @tigercub

I asked my oncologist and he said he'd actively encourage exercise including swimming. As @Applejack mentions, he felt that benefits outweigh risks. It would appear that opinions differ on this so it's worth discussing with your oncologist. I do remember way back when I was first diagnosed, my GO advised me to stay away deform shops especially supermarkets, restaurants and public transport etc. I did this but felt completely isolated from anything remotely 'normal'. Now, I go where I please and do what I want (within reason!)

K💚💛💜💙❤️

tigercub
Quote from @Applejack:
I have been swimming while on chemo. I know there are risks of infection but I think chlorine kills most stuff off so personally is a level of risk I am happy with. It wasn't mentioned by my team. I've seen other people on here whose oncologists have said the excersise benefits outweigh the infection risks. However, worth discussing with your doctor further so you are fully informed.
Quote from @Applejack:

Hi Applejack.thanks for reply .I was thinking more of swimming in sea .I suppose all medics have different views and have go on side caution

tigercub
Quote from @Baxter2:
Good morning @tigercub

I asked my oncologist and he said he'd actively encourage exercise including swimming. As @Applejack mentions, he felt that benefits outweigh risks. It would appear that opinions differ on this so it's worth discussing with your oncologist. I do remember way back when I was first diagnosed, my GO advised me to stay away deform shops especially supermarkets, restaurants and public transport etc. I did this but felt completely isolated from anything remotely 'normal'. Now, I go where I please and do what I want (within reason!)

K💚💛💜💙❤️

Hi Baxter2 thanks for reply .yes it's getting a balance isn't it if you wrap your self in cotton wool stay safe home go insane .I work in supermarket and have no desire to go in there .I have the bacteria wipes in bag then forgot use them .I'm going to go with my daughter to her gym for gentle exercise surgeon agreed good idea . thanks again :x:

Bridget55

Hi @tigercub and @Baxter2 I’m less risk averse this time as I isolated myself the last time. So try to live a normal a life as poss and my oncologist encourages this. He said even just sitting in a pub you may be next to people with germs so don’t not go but if someone wants to visit with a streaming cold then gently steer them away. I must admit I try to avoid too many confined spaces with lots of people but it’s easier in the Summer especially with the lovely weather we have been having :x::x:

tigercub

Hi Bridget 55
Hi yes it's finding balance.been out today local park music on bandstand free .no crowds lovely nice change .and i knew easy get home if felt unwell but was pretty good .thanks info if I sit in house too much I lose track days