When bowel cancer returns

Chelts

The rabbits have been found and its not good news!

So, after being told my colonoscopy, CT and PET scans were all clear, but my CEA markers were still slowly rising, the oncologist and the radiology consultant got together to have a more in depth look at my PET scans, and guess what? They found something!!!!

Unfortunately it is not good news as it appears that the cancer has spread into my abdomen and will be difficult to treat .
They think the cells 'jumped' over when my tumour broke through my bowel wall.

They gave me 3-6 months life expectancy with no chemo, or an average of 18-24 months with chemo (Folfiri and Cetuximab (if they can get funding!))

I'm assuming that as my CEA markers remained at 1 during Capecetabine chemo that that had kept the growth at bay, as as soon as I finished the chemo the CEA markers started to slowly rise.

Seeing my oncologist tomorrow to find out whats next. I'm hoping I'll be accepted for HIPEC as this seems to be the only thing that could possibly prolong my life.

Not good times...... I'm only 59, just become a grandad again, with a 3rd grandchild due in September.
I've told people not to pray for me as I have lost all faith in the Lord above, having put me through this shit (sorry!)

Don't suppose anyone can give me any hope?

A warning for others... clear lymph nodes and blood cells does not always, unfortunately, mean that the cancer has not spread as I have now found out!!

DianeS

Morning @Chelts you have had some very encouraging replies and it’s great that we have such lovely forum members offering their good advice. My cancer returned in my liver following slowly climbing CEA levels. After ablation in well and NED two years later. It may still come back as I’m told I’m High risk, but I’m doing all I can to think that it won’t. Our lovely ambassador @Bear G is a perfect example to all of us. Please try not to think of survival stats, we are all different! Love D :x::x::x:

Chelts

Good news- I have been accepted for Cytoreductive surgery and HIPEC at the Good Hope hospital in Sutton Coldfield!!
I was so worried that I wouldn't be accepted for whatever reason.
Just waiting for an appointment with the surgeon and then a new journey begins.

ElaineG

Great!!!! Hope all goes well for you :x::x:

DianeS

Hi @Chelts , how are you doing, has your appointment come through yet? Diane :x::x:

KatieR

Hello @Chelts Thats the best news I am so happy for you ...You must realise that asking people not to pray for you did result in So many more people praying for you !
Cath :x::x:

Salgal

Hi @Chelts just fantastic news hugs :x::x::x:

Chelts

@DianeS
Appointment is on August 9th at Good Hope
@KatieR
Happy for people to pray for me (thank you to those that did), but I've lost my faith
@Salgal
Thanks. Just hoping its not a lymph node thats infected as that will be difficult to catch.

Elmac

Hi @Chelts - good news that you have been accepted for further treatment to get rid of all those breeding rabbits! Hope the ferrets, foxes, hound dogs, myxomatosis, or whatever they send in to clear out your rabbit warren gets rid of all the blighters!

It's always at the back of my mind, that it will happen to me too, for my tumour had gone through the bowel wall and I'm worried that the ferrets will not clear out my rabbit warren! I'm on cycle 3 of Capecitabine at the moment, so a while to wait to see if I'm in the 60% cured, or the 40% non-curable statistics - just have to keep positive - we have booked an Alaska tour for next July - as it was top of my bucket list! Currently in Scotland and looking forward to meeting up with @Baxter2 and @Highkaren on Thursday at Loch Leven's Larder for lunch - they sound such great women! Our daughter lives in this part of the woods!

Good luck with the appointment on 10th and the treatment that will follow and do keep us informed of how it all goes.
Elaine

Chelts

@Elmac Thanks Elaine. I fully understand your situation- I spent 6 months on so-called adjuvant chemotherapy and was all ready to move on with my life, when, at the end of it, the rabbits popped up again.
Just shows how hard the buggers are to catch.
Hopefully when the farmer (surgeon) goes in with his gun on the 10th and pops off the rabbits that he can see, and then he sprays myxomatosis around my abdomen I can look forward to a longer life.
He is concerned that a lymph node has been infected, which means that some of the rabbits could have escaped and will be busy establishing new warrens elsewhere in my body.

Good luck with your treatment- I hope your rabbits have all been eliminated.

Meezermum

Hi @Chelts that's good news and I hope he gets them with both barrels !!I've just been referred to Good Hope so hopefully they will accept me . How long did you have to wait to find out ? Hugs :x:

Baxter2

Brilliant news about your Cytoreductive surgery and HIPEC @Chelts!

I had this surgery in March last year at Basingstoke.

Sending loads of good wishes your way!

K💜💚💛💙❤️

Chelts
Quote from @Meezermum:
Hi @Chelts that's good news and I hope he gets them with both barrels !!I've just been referred to Good Hope so hopefully they will accept me . How long did you have to wait to find out ? Hugs

Hi Meezermum.
It took about 2 weeks for me to hear back from Good Hope as they discuss all cases at a weekly MDT meeting.
I then went to see Mr Yousef within a week and he explained everything to me, both good and bad possible outcomes (including 1% chance of death and 10% chance of treatable complications!).
Because they don't really know what is going on in my abdomen the only way they can find out is to go in and have a look so I was asked whether I wanted to go ahead with the op or not....hmmm - have a look inside and find out whats happening or just wait and see what happens??
Have a look at this Good Hope website and watch the videos- they are very informative about what to expect... www.peritonealsurgery.co.uk/

Meezermum

Hi @Chelts thanks for the update and I'll have a look at the video . I think as my tumor is so deep there may be complications but if I get to see him Mr Yousef will explain . Hope all goes well for you

Chelts
Quote from @Baxter2:
Brilliant news about your Cytoreductive surgery and HIPEC @Chelts!

I had this surgery in March last year at Basingstoke.

Sending loads of good wishes your way!

K💜💚💛💙❤️

Hi Baxter2. Many thanks for your good wishes. I'm just counting down the days now hoping that they find no lymph node involvement and also trying to come to terms with the difference to how I feel now (never felt better) to how it is all going to change in about 2 weeks time.
What was your post-op recovery like? What triggered your referral? Did they find much spread when they opened you up?

Baxter2

Hi @Chelts

Recovery certainly was about 5 months until I felt like normal again! Have a wee look at my profile and all the detail (and more) is there I think? Please get back to me if you have any more questions though as more than happy to help!

K💜💚💛💙❤️

Sparrow

@Chelts, sorry to hear that you have a rabbit problem again, but I'm so happy to hear that you have a plan in place to get rid of the blighters :) thinking of you and sending loads of good luck and best wishes :x::x::x:

Meezermum

@Chelts . Hope all goes well with the rabbit hunting .

Chelts

Thanks @Meezermum . Just hope they find something they can treat.

Meezermum

@Chelts . Well he seemed a very determined and confident rabbit hunter to me . I'm sure he will take out as much as he can . As I said to him " it's a good way to loose weight "