Life beyond bowel cancer

jeangenie

Six months after the all clear

I finished surgery followed by 6 months of chemo in November 2017 and, after scans and a colonoscopy, was given the all clear in January this year. I've just had bloods taken for the first check up and there is nothing to worry about.
All through this experience I have tried to feed myself as well as possible with plenty of protein, vitamins and minerals and very low added sugar or starch.
I am so happy to report that this week my husband (who had major spinal surgery 18 months ago) and I were able to walk the Helvellyn ridge in the Lake District - 20 miles in one day and 4000 feet of ascent. It took us 12 hours but we had chosen June as the month with the longest days and we are VERY thankful that the NHS have looked after us both so well. P.S. He is 68 and I am 69.

DianeS

Hi @jeangenie thank you for sharing your wonderful news, and congratulations on your walk in the Lake District. It’s such good news for you both, and I hope you now manage to share some quality time together. Diane :x::x::x::x:

jeangenie

Thank you, @DianeS,
When he told me I was NED the oncologist said, 'Go and enjoy the rest of your life'. Bless him, I am doing my best!!

Baxter2

Lovely to read your very positive post @jeangenie!

Great news!

K💚💛💜❤️💙

Bridget55

Great news @jeangenie. Helvellyn is no mean feat. Well done. :x::x:

kidsversuscopy

Wonderful news! In early May I 'celebrated' my cancerversory with a hike up Walna Scar in the Lakes. After all the chemo and surgery it felt good to blow those cobwebs away! :x::x:

jeangenie

Thank you @Baxter2, @Bridget55 and @kidsversuscopy,
We are very pleased with ourselves! Back up to the Lakes soon as we only have 4 more Wainwrights to tick off now.

Lizalou

I am in awe and so jealous @jeangenie .

Just as I was prepared to tackle a few small hills, husband became ill. We would love to use hill climbing as the perfect way to keep fit but here in East Kent it is hopeless. We try to get to the Lakes whenever we can but haven't managed it this year. (But yes we have done Helvellyn in the past but definitely not Striding Edge.)