When bowel cancer returns

Meezermum

Think the beast is back

@Baxter2 asked how I was doing . So this is what's been happening .
I finished my last chemo at the end of January and all seemed ok . I went back to work in April and tried to put everything behind me and get on with life . I started having pains on my right hand side again , but put them down to too much activity . We had an amazing holiday in Hong Kong and Bali but the pains got worse . I contacted my colorectal nurse two weeks ago and as I had a scan last October , she suggested I had another one last week . no follow up appointment had been made ,as I was told you will probably get a letter with the results . I phoned on Tuesday as the pain was so intense and as my colorectal surgeon is on leave I was asked to go in on Thursday and I was seen by the head colorectal consultant who examined my scan .So I now have a 3 cm tumour in the same place it was before in my bowel . He said surgery to remove it wasn't viable and he would discuss me at the MDT next week with my oncologist . He is so good in as that he is seeing me next Thursday before his clinic starts so he can share the plan with me .
I am so sad as I thought the beast had been beaten , but we had a wonderful holiday and at least we had that worry free .

Baxter2

This all sounds quite promising @Meezermum! I hope you hear something positive following the MDT meeting tomorrow.

I've had Cytoreductive surgery and HIPEC in March last year and although I'm on chemo indefinitely, I'm doing really well. I'll have everything crossed for you!

Lots of love and very best wishes,

K💜💚💛💙❤️

Chelts

Great news to hear that you have been referred to Good Hope, like me, to hopefully blast your rabbit nest into oblivion. May bump into you!

For anyone else wanting to know more about cytoreductive and HIPEC surgery have a look at this website and videos, produced by the Good Hope. I found them very informative and assuring.. www.peritonealsurgery.co.uk/

Bridget55

Hi @Meezermum I had Hipec and cytoreductive too so happy to chat on this. I had it at Christies :x:

Wren17

Hi@Meezermum, sorry to read about your news but hope like others the pet scan goes well. Glad you enjoyed stress free holiday :x::x:

Bridget55

Hi @Meezermum hope MDT went ok on Friday and you have a plan of action. Let me know if you want a chat :x:

Baxter2

Same from me @Meezermum.

Hope you've had some positive feedback.

Lots of love,

Karen 💜💚💛💙❤️

Sparrow

Hey @Meezermum, I'm sorry to hear about your recurrence- what a major shock that must feel like.
Good luck with the next plan of action. Thinking of you and sending hugs :x::x::x:

Meezermum

Hi @Bridget55 @Sparrow @sweetcheeks @Baxter2 . Just had a phone call and I'm being seen next week by cyroreductive surgeon next week to discuss options . Bridget can I give you a shout when I know some more . Hugs to all :x::x::x:

Bridget55

Hi yes please do @Meezermum . Will msg nr. X good news they are discussing options. Everything crossed :x::x:

Baxter2

Great news @Meezermum! I'll have absolutely everything crossed for you!

Sending loads of love,

K💜💚💛💙❤️

Meezermum

Hi all . Saw my new surgeon at Good Hope hospital yesterday and he has agreed to take the challenge on . The PET scan shows a possible polyp in my rectum and also possibly in the glands round my lungs . @Chelts didn't yours show this too ? . So the plan is in the next 6 weeks is a colonoscopy , lung biopsy and hopefully a cyroreductive surgery mid September. @Bridget55 would like some advice and anyone else please . @Chelts they are a great team there .How

Chelts

@Meezermum - Great news for you!
My scan showed 'something' in my lower abdomen on either my outer colon wall, my omentum or in a lymph node. Need the op to find out. Got my pre-op on Friday then my op next Thursday (9th).
What I find different about the Good Hope is that you don't get admitted the day before your op- you go in at 7:30am on the day of the op and go straight into the operating theatre!

Meezermum

Hi . Hope your pre-op goes well . I've had various other bits done at Good Hope before and have found them really good . Going in on the day of the op sounds much better ,especially as we are only 10 minutes away . Have they said how long you will be in for?

Bridget55

Hi @Meezermum .. let me know a good time to chat re cytoreductive.. I’m free next 2 days in daytime. Otherwise next week or also happy to meet. Good they have a treatment plan :x:

Chelts
Quote from @Meezermum:
Have they said how long you will be in for?

Minimum of about 2 weeks, including 24 hours in Intensive Care post-op.

Elmac

@Meezermum & @Chelts Good luck to both of you - hope they eradicate all those rabbit burrows this time around!

Chelts

Thanks @Elmac.
So do I but I'm not feeling optimistic- even with myxomatosis the little sods still seem to re-establish themselves.
The worry is in the lymph nodes- the rabbits that leave the warren and setup new ones elsewhere. If the farmer can block their exits and eliminate them all, then - great.

Elmac

Hi @Chelts - I do love your wording - I must admit I'm a little worried about a rabbit warren starting up in me, as my T4 was through the bowel wall and they have stopped my chemo after only 3 cycles - due to drug related rash appearing on my arms and chest - plus very painful feet. Seeing the oncologist again in September, as off on a river cruise on Friday from Amsterdam to Budapest finishing with 3 days in Prague so not back for 3 weeks. Must admit it is nice to be off the chemo, and the rash and feet are subsiding, but it give rise to the question of what the little critters are doing whilst the ferrets are away!
Elaine

Chelts
Quote from @Elmac:
Hi @Chelts - I do love your wording - I must admit I'm a little worried about a rabbit warren starting up in me, as my T4 was through the bowel wall and they have stopped my chemo after only 3 cycles - due to drug related rash appearing on my arms and chest - plus very painful feet. Seeing the oncologist again in September, as off on a river cruise on Friday from Amsterdam to Budapest finishing with 3 days in Prague so not back for 3 weeks. Must admit it is nice to be off the chemo, and the rash and feet are subsiding, but it give rise to the question of what the little critters are doing whilst the ferrets are away!
Elaine

I know how you feel. My feet suffered pins and needles whilst I was on chemo and even though I've been off it for 4 months now I still get the tingling sensations every now and then.