General Discussion

willow1265

Pain in the bum!

I had my Low anterior resection in April, ive now had a few instances of sudden and excruciating pain in my anal/rectal area.. it only lasts a few minutes but it can take my breath away, usually goes after just sitting on the loo for a bit... it happens without warning and has woke me up in the night before now... anyone else had this? is this 'normal'?

Also, ive been getting a lot of back pain which goes down my legs, I can feel it most of the time but mainly when I move... would this be connected to the operation? My doctors just told me to do exercises, bit its not helping..

grateful for any advice..

jeangenie

I had this after my op last year. It's called proctalgia fugax! I took ibuprofen necause it's a muscle relaxant and that helped. Until I read your post I'd forgotten about it so it did settle down after a month or two.
Hope yours does :x:

terri m

Hi @willow1265 How strange. I am experiencing exactly the same problem at this moment.. I am away for the weekend with hubbie, and have been suffering with awful rectal pain feeling like i still need to empty my bowels But nothing happening🙄. The pain has been was so bad I could hardly walk back to our car... I had high anterior resection in december... I have taken a senocot , has it almost feels like There is still poo to come down... 🤔. Hope this is connected to our operations , has I have been soo worried... Hope your pain resolves soon. We are,away and my poor hubbie spent most the evening sat on his own in restaurant, whilst I was on the loo.. Bloody bowels !!! Hope there are others who have experienced this problem..
Lots of love & hugs to you :x::x::x::x:

Tinkletot

i am post lar surgery and i too have backache and pain when i walk at ball and socket joint of hips anyone else had this :x:

SariDaffs

Hi @willow1265, @terri m, @Tinkletot,

I think I am following you all with my surgery - LAR and temp ileostomy on 14 May. When I first got back from surgery there was relatively little pain, but then I started to get that horrid feeling of needing a BM and a generally horrible feeling of burning pain in the pelvis ... sort of like period pain - and it would ache down my legs too. The surgeon and nurses told me to rest (I had been doing loads of walking, perhaps too much) so I just put my feet up for a while as much as I could. The worst of the pain seemed to disappear around week 5 post op, however I still get these aches now and again - in the bowels/pelvis and down my legs a bit (it seems to happen at least once a day). There is also the feeling of needing the loo even though nothing is there (the pain and the BM feeling at the same time) I have never passed anything.
I take ibuprofen but also take loperamide (imodium) (cheap from super savers) as this seems to calm the bowel spasms (I've also taken buscopan).
It seems to be brought on by standing/walking, but sometimes also from eating a meal - even though the food does not go down there I suppose the eating action triggers bowel spasms.
Also I have one of those beanbags that you can heat in the microwave that I use if the pain comes when I am in bed (a bit hot at the moment though!).
It is getting gradually much better - but now I am getting concerned about how the stoma reversal is going to be!!
Best wishes to all
Sarah :x::x:

willow1265
Quote from @jeangenie:
I had this after my op last year. It's called proctalgia fugax! I took ibuprofen necause it's a muscle relaxant and that helped. Until I read your post I'd forgotten about it so it did settle down after a month or two.
Hope yours does

@jeangenie thank you for your reply, interesting to know.. I will look that up!

willow1265
Quote from @terri m:
Hi @willow1265 How strange. I am experiencing exactly the same problem at this moment.. I am away for the weekend with hubbie, and have been suffering with awful rectal pain feeling like i still need to empty my bowels But nothing happening🙄. The pain has been was so bad I could hardly walk back to our car... I had high anterior resection in december... I have taken a senocot , has it almost feels like There is still poo to come down... 🤔. Hope this is connected to our operations , has I have been soo worried... Hope your pain resolves soon. We are,away and my poor hubbie spent most the evening sat on his own in restaurant, whilst I was on the loo.. Bloody bowels !!! Hope there are others who have experienced this problem..
Lots of love & hugs to you

@terri m glad im not the only one, I hope its connected to the operation too. I dont get the feelng of needing a BM too often now, thank goodness, it only happens about once every few weeks and lasts a few days... yes, I quite agree.. bloody bowels!!

willow1265
Quote from @Tinkletot:
i am post lar surgery and i too have backache and pain when i walk at ball and socket joint of hips anyone else had this

Hi @Tinkletot my back aches has been since my op, but it seems to be getting worse, I cant walk too far now without it starting, and it shoots down my legs into my calves... im starting to wonder whether theres nerve damage from the op or something :/ :x:

willow1265
Quote from @SariDaffs:
Hi @willow1265, @terri m, @Tinkletot,

I think I am following you all with my surgery - LAR and temp ileostomy on 14 May. When I first got back from surgery there was relatively little pain, but then I started to get that horrid feeling of needing a BM and a generally horrible feeling of burning pain in the pelvis ... sort of like period pain - and it would ache down my legs too. The surgeon and nurses told me to rest (I had been doing loads of walking, perhaps too much) so I just put my feet up for a while as much as I could. The worst of the pain seemed to disappear around week 5 post op, however I still get these aches now and again - in the bowels/pelvis and down my legs a bit (it seems to happen at least once a day). There is also the feeling of needing the loo even though nothing is there (the pain and the BM feeling at the same time) I have never passed anything.
I take ibuprofen but also take loperamide (imodium) (cheap from super savers) as this seems to calm the bowel spasms (I've also taken buscopan).
It seems to be brought on by standing/walking, but sometimes also from eating a meal - even though the food does not go down there I suppose the eating action triggers bowel spasms.
Also I have one of those beanbags that you can heat in the microwave that I use if the pain comes when I am in bed (a bit hot at the moment though!).
It is getting gradually much better - but now I am getting concerned about how the stoma reversal is going to be!!
Best wishes to all
Sarah

Hi @SariDaffs I had that horrid feeling of needing a BM for quite a long time, I still get it from time to time but no where near as bad as it used to be.. some days I feel pretty normal... when I asked my surgeon on a follow up visit why I kept getting that feeling, he said because theres a lot of swelling down there due to the op etc and thats what makes you feel like you need to go all the time. I do take loperamide.
As for the stoma reversal, hmm... im in 2 minds whether I want that done to be honest, the doctors and surgeon dont seem to think it will be a problem, but then i go and hear things that scare the life out of me and how some people are still in a bad way 6 months to 2 years down the line.. I dont want that kind of life restriction and if I was off work for that long Id end up with no pay!! I am really struggling with what to do.

SariDaffs

Hi @@willow1265, yes the horrid feeling is definitely getting less and less as the days go by! I am finding that the bag is also less of an issue than I thought it would be (been swimming in the sea and went up to London for a concert last night ... both things I never thought I would do again!). The reversal terrifies me as well ... mine is planned for around the end of August but they have said if I want to keep the bag they will not force me. It would definitely be better to get back to some kind of normality though ... but the idea of several years of non-stop toilet visits sounds pretty bad (I have a big conference in Berlin in October so may delay the op till after that). I had radiotherapy to the area last year as well and that apparently makes it more problematic! At what point would they give you the bag back? After losing 2 years or so of life sounds really depressing!
Perhaps though we get a distorted view of how awful it is because we read about the people with problems on this forum and those who have fewer problems are not on here ... It is so tricky though and like you I have to work - and I want a some kind of social life - and this will not make things easy!
Sarah :x:

willow1265

@SariDaffs - your ahead of me then in getting a time for a possible reversal, I had LAR surgery beginning of April, I had the gasrograffin xray on 26th June, still haven't had the result,s mind you I have no further appointment either... on a follow up visit to the surgeon start of June he said he would call me with the results and then book me in a couple of weeks after even told me not to plan anything.... but i havent heard a thing

Like you the idea of several years of non stop loo visits puts me off, as well as possible irrigation kits you read about, I know the bag is not great but at least have some form of life and control with it.
Linda :x:

SariDaffs

Hi @willow1265, I think that they are planning the gastrograffin around end of August - so not sure when the actual reversal would be, a while later I suppose.
I must admit this morning when I had a bag leak around 5am (so annoying but I patched up with micropore till later) I was thinking it would be great to get rid of it - but I suppose that inconvenience would be replaced by another.
Sarah :x: