Stage 4 bowel cancer

Chelts

Found the rabbits, but unsure what breed. HIPEC going in to clear them

So, for those that have been following my Stage 2 sigmoid removal, followed by supposed adjuvant Capecetabine (ferrets) to where I am now; active growths (rabbits), once the ferrets were removed!
After a clear colonoscopy, clear CT scan and what looked to be a clear PET scan, but slowly rising CEA levels, they eventually found a few rabbits in my lower abdomen.

Went and saw the cytoreductive and HIPEC consultant at Sutton Coldfield Good Hope hospital yesterday.
Basically he is unable to define what type of rabbits these are.... they could be on the peritoneum, on the colon outer wall or something I had not ever come across.. the peritoneal sigmoid mesocolon attaching the sigmoid colon to the posterior abdominal wall and holding blood and lymph nodes.)

So he is going to cut me open and see what he can find, probably doing cytoreductive work and HIPEC.

Worst outcome is lymph nodes in the mescolon being infected meaning that the rabbits could be tunnelling around and breeding in the rest of my body. Best outcome would be just a few metastases on the colon wall that can be removed.

God- I hate these rabbits.

Gypsy

Hi @Chelts
I am so sorry about the recurrence in you and realise that is a lame thing to say in the circumstances but glad that they are going to deal with it- although I would imagine you must have very mixed feelings.
I can't quite get my head around the rabbits analogy (have been trying) but if it's any comfort, in my neck of the woods, we were inundated with them (the real ones!) until about 3 years ago. Since then there has been a complete population crash and now rare to see one. So I will hope and pray that any that have set up their burrows inside you will be made to hop it.
Remember the old wartime song? You are probably way too young but it was still being aired in my youth anyway:
'Run rabbit, run rabbit run run run,
Here come the farmer with his gun, gun , gun' etc etc.
Bang, bang, bang!
(Actually, I find them cute even when they used to get in the garden and eat all our veg)!
Thinking of you and hope you'll keep us posted about the surgery.
Gypsyxxxx

Wren17

Hi@Chelts the team at good hope are fantastic, all the best with the surgery :x::x:

GB1962

Hi @Chelts, wishing you all the very best with your upcoming surgery, I've heard great things about Good Hope. I'm following your progress as my husband had a high anterior resection, Dukes B , and I'm willing you on to the road to recovery.
Gill :x::x:

Chelts

@Gypsy-to clarify the rabbits and ferrets analogy.....
Basically the rabbits are the cancer, the rabbit warrens are our bodies and the ferrets are the chemotherapy.
Unmanaged the rabbits burrow and breed like mad in the warrens and we have to send in the ferrets to flush them out and kill them.
Occasionally some rabbits hide and once the ferrets are removed the rabbits start breeding again and burrowing for new homes.

This sums up my situation in that we thought the ferrets had got rid of all the rabbits, so we removed the ferrets and lo and behold the rabbits that were hiding popped back out and started breeding again.

I agree the rabbit population has diminished greatly in recent years, mainly due to culling and myxomatosis. Adding another analogy, we are all hoping for something like myxomatosis to come along and kill all of our rabbits.

Gypsy

@ Chelts
Yes, I do/did understand all that but wish you had chosen something else as I like rabbits! If it had been cockroaches I would have had no problem!

Chelts

@Gypsy I would have chosen something like cockroaches if I could come up with an analogy that fitted. :)

HH79

Hi there @Chelts. Love your lingo!!!
If you want lots lovely support those who’ve been HIPEC’d may be an idea to make a subject with HIPEC (for the rabbits) or similar as a couple have had it at Good Hope and lots have had it generally. Lots of love and best wishes :x::x::x:

HH79

Hi there @Chelts. Love your lingo!!!
If you want lots lovely support those who’ve been HIPEC’d may be an idea to make a subject with HIPEC (for the rabbits) or similar as a couple have had it at Good Hope and lots have had it generally. Lots of love and best wishes xx ps are you a CBD user ....I reckon you just smoke it!! Love your rabbit world though

Baxter2

Great news @Chelts!

Let's get those blooming rabbits then! Do you have a date for surgery yet?

K💜💚💛❤️💙

Elmac

Hi @Chelts - I love your description of rabbits and ferrets - hopefully my rabbit burrow has been carved out and the ferrets are cleaning up the rest of the rabbits - on my 2nd cycle of Capecitabine with another 2 to go.
Hope your surgeon can clean out all your burrows for you. Good luck. would like to read something on your profile apart from the fact that you are male and live in Warwickshire as you seem to have the same sense of humour as my husband!

Chelts
Quote from @Elmac:
Hi @Chelts -
Would like to read something on your profile apart from the fact that you are male and live in Warwickshire as you seem to have the same sense of humour as my husband!

Your wish is my command- profile updated!

Chelts
Quote from @HH79:
PS... are you a CBD user ....I reckon you just smoke it!!

Not yet but am seriously considering it!

Elmac

Hi @Chelts - thanks for the update - my nephew in Australia (age 53) has inoperable stomach cancer (diagnosed a year ago) and has been using CBD for the last 6 months and says it is a great help - I won't tell you anymore except he has started distilling his own to try and get rid of his rabbits!
Elaine