Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

determinedjoan

Driving whilst on chemo

Hey 👋 wonderful, immensely knowledgable, helpful & supportive community,
Hv just completed 2nd dose Folfiri this week & keep forgetting to ask chemo nurses at hospital whether I’m allowed to drive whilst on chemo, particularly when I still hv 5fu pressurised container attached to port. Any thoughts/advice greatly appreciated thanx.
Hope everyone in the best possible health and spirits today & coping with heat :x:

Clancy

Hi @determinedjoan, I drive around on chemo days, but I have no choice, I live by myself, I limit it to short journeys though. I avoid driving if I have had Cyclizine, anti sickness, it can induce drowsiness. The main rule of thumb would be to assess on a daily basis how you feel. Hope this helps, and good luck with treatment.:x::x:

determinedjoan

Thanks 🙏 sooo much for getting back to me so quickly ! That’s really helpful.
All v best of luck with ur treatment too Clancy. Really hope today is a good day 4 u :x:

Baxter2

Hi @determinedjoan

I'm on Folfiri and Cetuximab. I drive quite happily but after my main infusion day as you need to be careful about how the atropine injection you get for the irrinotecan cramps as it affects your eyesight. Mine goes a bit blurry and out of focus. I'm fine by next day and just go out and about in the car with the pump. You can fly with it attached too as I had to investigate that last summer as needed to fly from London to Edinburgh with it attached.

As @Clancy says, assess yourself on a daily basis and yes, be careful with any drowsiness affects from anti sickness meds etc.

Good luck!

K💚💛💜❤️💙

determinedjoan

Abs brill thanks Karen; had noticed eyesight a bit iffy, but didn’t know why ! What an amazing community this is !
All v best to u today :x:

Baxter2

You too @determinedjoan

Enjoy this wonderful weather and England's win! 😉😎

K💚💛💜❤️💙

Polly 1

Hi @determinedjoan my husband always drives but I am always with him to take over if any problems or he didnt feel like driving. He hasnt had any problems with his vision so far.
We asked the Oncologist if it was OK to drive particularly with the 5fu pump attached and he said it was fine as long as he felt OK and the tube was tucked out of the way so didn't catch on anything.

determinedjoan

Fantastic! Thank u sooo much.
Wish ur husband all the v best with his treatment :x: