Bowel cancer treatment and side effects

abergirl

Constant bowel movements !

Hubby now 8 weeks post ileostomy reversal. .....so far thismorning he has been to the loo 12 times since 6.30 am.. small loosish movements. Just gone again...13. Has had 3 loperimide and his breakfast..rice Krispies. Yesterday I lost count of how many times...he had been having much better days but now this. Diet the same....low residue...but good appetite..any ideas please? :x:

Salgal

Hi @abergirl, I remember being told that Jelly Babies and Marshmelllows and Wine Gums really help thicken up stool, might be worth a try hugs :x::x::x:

abergirl

Thankyou @Salgal. .. certainly will. ..going shopping tomorrow will stock up and report back! Things eased up a bit as today went on...but his bowel really is a diva in the mornings. ...I guess we should be thankful for an undisturbed night though. Hugs back to you.:x:

Terrish

Hi @abergirl - have you tried eggs? I always have two scrambled eggs in the morning, without fail, and it helps me enormously. I also gave up with low residue as found more bulk helped slow everything down.

It is trial and error though - what helps one person may make another worse! I had IBS before my cancer diagnosis and have now swapped to a gluten low diet (can't quite manage gluten free!).

I remember the early days of the reversal, but there was a definite improvement at the six month mark which is what they say happens. Think of it as one third of the way to that mark.

When I got a bit desperate - I wanted to go out for the day without dashing to the loo - I used a daily enema kit a couple of times. Never use it now but it did give me some freedom in those annoying early weeks.

abergirl

Thanks Terrish. .. you are so encouraging! Eggs do seem to help...a cheesy omelette is good! We have upped the loperimide to 3 before meals and that also helps. He is still having the morning "clear out" with the usual trots back and fore to the loo...but I think they are a bit less. but we get a good nights sleep thank goodness. The nurse practitioner said to use loperimide as and when.....and it does help using a bit more. He even said before a trip to take 4 or more! ! Hubby is now 2 months post reversal and I can see progress really...just all gets a bit much at times. He is so changed. ..the anaesthetic affected him badly memory wise but all in all he is managing! This is better than dealing with the ileostomy any day. So grateful for your support...love to you.:x::x:

abergirl

Hi @ Salgal well he had a lovely time with a bag of Haribos last night!!!! Got jelly babies too.........😊

Salgal

😂 @abergirl Marshmelllows and Wine Gums tonight got to give it a go ... 😉

abergirl

@ Salgal ...consider it done!!! 😂