Relatives and friends

ElaineG

Morphine overdose

Chris had quite a traumatic day yesterday. His epidural worked it’s way out during the night so he was in agony as he wasn’t getting any pain relief. The team tried to get his pain under control throughout the day but eventually he had too much morphine, his body temperature plummeted and his breathing slowed! The doctors & nurses were round his bed on & off all day! Last night when we visited they had everything under control and he looked great.
Unfortunately he has just sent me a message saying he feels terrible he had another bad night and he’s feeling very low emotionally. The consultant and his team have just been round to him, they think it’s the effects of the morphine. I feel terrible especially as when we left him last night he was in such good spirits.
Has anyone else experienced anything like this? 😥

Gg k

Hi @ElaineG
My epidural didn't work so I woke up after op on extreme pain
I had morphine in a self administered machine thing. And morphine gave me extreme sweating , hallucinations and I felt truly awful. I think it made me depressed too tho it may have been the stress. My bowel paralysed and I was v down.
I asked to be switched to different pain relief and think I was given fentanyl - memory a bit hazy - that was a bit better but not much.
Some people experience reactions to morphine. I was certainly all over the place.
I went on to paracetamol asap cos I preferred pain to the side effects of morphine and fentanyl. Hope that helps.
:x:

ElaineG

Thanks @Gg k I know that he was on IV paracetamol last night with something else. I just hope he’s improved when I get there and I can speak to the medics to find out more
:x::x:

Wren17

Hi@ElaineG, hope Chris is feeling a little better. Morphine always makes me giddy and i sometimes have hallucinations so any overdose is going to take its toll :x::x:

Gg k
Quote from @ElaineG:
Thanks @Gg k I know that he was on IV paracetamol last night with something else. I just hope he’s improved when I get there and I can speak to the medics to find out more

Hope he's feeling better.
IV paracetamol is good and isn't constipating like opiates.
:x:

ElaineG

I've been to see Chris this afternoon, he was a bit brighter but very tired, which is only to be expected. The consultant came by whilst I was there. He's pleased with Chris's progress and has no concerns which was good to hear. We have to remember it's a major operation and it only happened on Monday so slowly, slowly we will see improvements each day. Thanks to all :x::x:

determinedjoan

Thinking of Chris & wishing him a full recovery soon :x:

ElaineG

Thanks so much xx

Quote from @determinedjoan:
Thinking of Chris & wishing him a full recovery soon

KatieR

Hello @ElaineG Just take things one day at a time ..just baby steps and lets aim for a little better every day
John does not remember the first three or four days after his operation at all
He had an epidural And Morphine pump !
I think once Chris gets his pain meds sorted out he will feel much better
Try and encourage him to get up and about as soon as he can ....
John gave the nurses a right fright when he went for a walk in the night with his drip stand unplugged
...they told him off severely
So the next night he went for a walk he took his IV line out and left it on the bed ! !
I think it was the Morphine making him a bit yonderly
Keep in touch
Cath :x::x:

ElaineG

Thanks again for your support. John sounds like a real character. I bet he relieved some of the boredom on the ward! :x:

Lizalou

Thinking of you both @ElaineG , hope Chris feels a bit better by now. Most people seem to get on fine with morphine but I hate it and refused to have any for my last op. It totally addles my brain!

Terrish

I ended up having too much morphine after my epidural came out, then spent the night hallucinating. I was fully convinced there was a major disaster nearby as I kept hearing the air ambulance land all night and I was so sad for all the people involved. Turned out it was the air conditioning units making a racket - the hospital I was in doesn't have a landing pad :)

When the poor surgeon came round in the morning I burst into tears and sobs, and quite horrified him as I had always been upbeat. Until I read this post I hadn't connected the two so thank you @ElaineG .

ElaineG

Thanks @Terrish
for your reply, apparently we’re told that it’s quite common for the epidural to come out😳
The hallucinations must have been quite frightening. I read your profile and it seems you’re doing well. Long may that continue!
I’ve been unable to visit today as I’ve had a bout of the runs today - just what I need at the moment😩My daughters have just seen him and they said he seemed a lot better. They set up the Man Utd match for him on his mobile so he was very happy👍

quote]Quote from @Terrish:
I ended up having too much morphine after my epidural came out, then spent the night hallucinating. I was fully convinced there was a major disaster nearby as I kept hearing the air ambulance land all night and I was so sad for all the people involved. Turned out it was the air conditioning units making a racket - the hospital I was in doesn't have a landing pad

When the poor surgeon came round in the morning I burst into tears and sobs, and quite horrified him as I had always been upbeat. Until I read this post I hadn't connected the two so thank you @ElaineG .[/quote]