Stage 4 bowel cancer

brighty08

Liver Resection Complications

Hi everyone. I don’t post very often but I do read the posts every now and again and think this site is a great support.

My husband (age 45) had his bowel tumour removed early February and was diagnosed with liver mets at the same time. Long story cut short - 4 cycles of Capox which gave a good reduction in the size of liver tumours. Liver surgery last Monday to remove 60% of liver. Was long and difficult surgery (because of near to vein) but was told they did everything they wanted to do.

So there have been a few complication since initially getting out of surgery with bloods being ok. Blood pressure became low and he was taken back into surgery that evening. This was resolved by untwisted the remaining liver that was blocking a blood supply.

Since then his bloods have been up and down. Apparently there’s a part of the remaining liver that isn’t very good (might improve or might die off) while rest is having to work very hard to regulate bloods (and struggling). They’ve now decided to intubate him and heavily sedate as he was getting agitated and confused because of the toxins.

Just finding this a very scary time as it just seems to be a waiting game and lots of hope that his liver will catch up and recover.

Anybody out there had something similar happen? Positive messages much appreciated!!

Love to everyone having a worrying time. :x::x:

Polly 1

Hi @brighty08
Sorry to hear things aren't going to plan atm but sounds like the team are working hard to sort it out.
I hope you have someone with you, it must be a very worrying time for you. Have you been at the hospital tonight or have you got any further updates?
Hope you manage to sleep tonight - dont worry, he's in the right place and they will be keeping a close eye on him.
Love and hugs :x::x:

Pam

Thinking of you tonight @brighty08, hope things are better tomorrow :x::x:

Baxter2

Good morning @brighty08

I feel for you both. This must be a very worrying time. It does sound like the team
are doing everything possible to help support his liver and vital signs. Don’t be afraid to ask lots of questions and stay with him as much as you like. I have had a liver resection however don’t have direct experience of this. @El Ivan has the award for liver resection and may well have some advice to offer (hope you don’t mind Ivan?) as well
as the nurses @Charlotte Nurse Advisor. Take good care of yourself and please know that my thoughts are with you both for the difficult days ahead.

Loads of love,

Karen❤️💛💚💜💙

Gypsy

Thinking of you and your husband @brighty08. I hope that things will soon improve and stabilise but how awful and worrying this is for you.:x::x::x:

brighty08

Thanks everyone @Polly 1, @Baxter2, @Pam and @Gypsy.

Really appreciate your messages of support 😘. So phoned last night and latest bloods - some had improved and some were same. Doctor said yesterday bloods are going up and down - just have to hope they will stabilise and improve soon. Keep reminding myself that he’s young, fit, and his liver should be healthy (no drink/smoking/drugs etc) - don’t know if that helps though. They did say chemo has had an effect on it (even though he only had 4 cycles!).

Waiting to hear what the doctors are saying today (there was talk they might remove the breathing tube but it depend how he reacts). Will go in this afternoon to visit.

I’m only going in once a day as it’s taking me an hour by bus each way because of the festival on at the moment. Takes it’s toll! And yes, I’ve got one or other of my parents staying at the mo.

Thanks again. :x::x::x:

El Ivan

Hi @brighty08 I’m sorry you are going through the mill with all of this. I’ve had a few complications in the past but now thing like a twisted liver that I’m aware of. The confusion I can relate to as I have also experienced this and yes as far as I’m aware that is to do with the toxins in the blood.
It really is a time issue and keeping fingers crossed that things go the correct way. You are no doubt in good hands but it is still a very worrying experience for not just the patient but loved ones too.
Strangely enough I’ve just returned from hospital this evening as I ended up going a lovely shade of yellow last weekend and temperature rocketing, so today they took the stent out bile duct and I’m like a new pin again. That’s a complication 7 months after my last liver resection. It’s a long distance race this one, not a sprint. I sincerely hope your hubby picks up soon and of course you too, don’t forget to look after you! I was 48 when diagnosed and coming up to 53 next week (no cards, just money please) 😂 Best of luck,
Ivan 😃
Thanks for the Tag @Baxter2 and of course I don’t mind that’s what the forum is about isn’t it, sharing experiences. :x::x:

Baxter2

Thanks for this @El Ivan 😉 and Hppy 53rd Birthday next week!

K💚💛💜💙❤️

Gypsy

Thinking of you both @brighty08 and hoping that he will stabilise soon.:x::x::x:

brighty08

Hi everyone. Just to let you all know I think things are improving .... slowly. It’s been a pretty traumatic time with some twists and turns but seems things are heading in the right direction.

He’s had and still has quite a bit of confusion at the moment but am assured that this is normal while the liver stabilises and gets rid of the toxins in the body. This takes time though. I don’t think we were told about this though so it’s a bit of a surprise and a bit scary. He’ll be in hospital for a while yet I think but slowly, slowly getting there.

Anyway, thank you all for your support. And to @El Ivan for your help. That’s reassured me that you’ve been through similar with the toxins. Sorry to hear about your complication but glad to hear it is all sorted now.

Thanks again and will try to post again as recovery continues 🤞🏻🤞🏻 :x::x:

determinedjoan

Thinking of u both & hoping that he feels much better soon. Love 💗 & hugs 🤗

Gypsy

That's good @brighty08.:x::x::x:

El Ivan

Yay, good news @brighty08 😃

Charlotte Nurse Advisor

Dear @brighty08,

Just responding to the tag from @Baxter2 and apologies for the slight delay.

It does sound as if things are improving for your husband by the sounds of your recent post which is good and I do hope things continue that way.

I'm not sure how much you remember from the consent procedure prior to your husband's surgery (if you were indeed present during the consent). Whilst every effort is made to avoid complications like this sadly it can occur and as with all the risks and benefits of surgery should have been clearly explained before the operation.

From what you describe it sounds as if he had a major resection and with the added post-op complication the remaining liver as struggled to function effectively. Obviously this has been a critical time and his team have supported him well on intensive care. His age and fitness have certainly helped his body cope with this and I do hope he continues to improve quickly.

With kindest regards,
Charlotte