Life with bowel cancer

Eire1967

Severe contractions

Ok so every week it’s something new. I’m now almost 5months out from my ileostomy take down. I get these intense waves of intense pressure (no control over them) almost like I am about to pass a giant poo & all I pass is some small mucous or small amount of poo, is this normal? Last night it was continuous for hours & I couldn’t sit comfortably. Anyone ever experienced? Why is this happening? Does it eventually go away/get better?

Baxter2

Good Morning @Eire1967

I’m afraid I don’t have knowledge, experience or advice regarding this but hopefully someone else on the forum will be along shortly who does!

In the meantime you couple perhaps use the little search icon at the top of the page and browse previous posts about this.

Good luck and best wishes,

K💜💙❤️💚💛

stef

Your symptoms sound very similar to what my mum is going through just now. She’s not really been able to sit for weeks the only real relief she gets is lying down, we went back to the hospital on Tuesday to see her consultant but it would be good to know if this is a common thing

bettebette

Eire1967 I have suffered with the same problem however mine followed a bowel resection; my GP suggested I tried the Fodmaps diet which I did, I found reducing my fruit intake helped but didn’t resolve the problem, I also have tried many things including going lactose free and taking Buscopan which helps when the ‘spasms’ are really intense (but also caused constipation which is not helpful).
Most recently I have been doing gentle yoga and I use breathing techniques (rather like those used when giving birth!)
which has made me feel more in control of the disturbance.
Overall some days are better than others but certainly being aware of foods that seem to aggravate the bowel has probably been the best thing for me.
I hope you have had some relief from this (I see the date is over a week ago)