Decembeard

Life with bowel cancer

lozzaboy

Stoma bags

Hi I am curious to find out how other patients empty their stoma bags at home
I empty mine into a jug first and Then down the toilet

Catlover

Hi @lozzaboy my husband empties his into a large ice cream tub when he can’t be bothered to kneel down at the toilet. We bought a kitchen tray which slips under the taps at the sink and creates a little tray which is just the right height. He puts puppy training mats on the floor and also tucks one into his trousers just in case there is an accident! Hope this helps. :x:

RT54

Hi @lozzaboy I use the downstairs loo(even at 3/4 am) as it has a tiled floor and a water faucet.I just stand there and empty away.I used to put some toilet roll inside the toilet to lessen the splash back but I don,t really botherwith that anymore as my aim is spot on these days with all the practise I,ve had.I find the faucet comes in really handy in the event of any splashback;and I have wet wipes nearby in case anything gets on the floor/walls.My output does usually tend to be quite thick rather than watery so probably helps.

Lizalou

Hi @lozzaboy

My stoma nurse showed me a very discreet way of standing over the loo, filling the bowl with loo paper, then emptying the bag into the loo.....

My sweet HCA ( on minimum wage) just told me to sit down and empty it between my legs in a normal, loo-using way! Normal for a woman but perhaps needs a change of plan for a man!!

lozzaboy

Thanks very much

lozzaboy

Thanks very much I can just imagine your husband eating all that I’ve cresm first it’s been one of my cravings .

Quote from @Catlover:
Hi @lozzaboy my husband empties his into a large ice cream tub when he can’t be bothered to kneel down at the toilet. We bought a kitchen tray which slips under the taps at the sink and creates a little tray which is just the right height. He puts puppy training mats on the floor and also tucks one into his trousers just in case there is an accident! Hope this helps.

lozzaboy

Thank you I’ve often thought about letting it go as I’m sat on the loo but had second thoughts when I realised the mess I could make on myself

Quote from @Lizalou:
Hi @lozzaboy

My stoma nurse showed me a very discreet way of standing over the loo, filling the bowl with loo paper, then emptying the bag into the loo.....

My sweet HCA ( on minimum wage) just told me to sit down and empty it between my legs in a normal, loo-using way! Normal for a woman but perhaps needs a change of plan for a man!!

lozzaboy

Thanks for the advice I’ll just have to try and stand over the loo and hope my aim is good

Quote from @RT54:
Hi @lozzaboy I use the downstairs loo(even at 3/4 am) as it has a tiled floor and a water faucet.I just stand there and empty away.I used to put some toilet roll inside the toilet to lessen the splash back but I don,t really botherwith that anymore as my aim is spot on these days with all the practise I,ve had.I find the faucet comes in really handy in the event of any splashback;and I have wet wipes nearby in case anything gets on the floor/walls.My output does usually tend to be quite thick rather than watery so probably helps.

Lizalou

No, no, no !!! @lozzaboy !!

Sit down with your pants round your ankles in a nice ladylike fashion, then everything will be directly over the toilet bowl.

KatieR

Hello @lozzaboy ....My John sprays the bowl with WD40 ,,squats down and just empties the bag down the side of the loo ..the nearer the opening of the bag is to the side of the bowl the less splashing and sploshing occurs ...initially when his stools were a bit thick we used to spray a little spray oil into the bag to stop pancaking He prefers his stools a bit runny to aid emptying so he eats plenty fruir and drinks a lot too ...
Cath :x::x:

HopsiFAP

Hi @lozzaboy I empty both my ileostomy and urostomy standing up as taught that way in hospital. I try and bend down towards the loo for less splashback and also put a little roll in the bowl pre emptying now too. I don’t think I could work it sitting down! Seems quite normal now 18 months later! Although I do feel a little like a boy with the urostomy but hey ho! :x::x:

lozzaboy

Thanks very much for the advice

Quote from @KatieR:
Hello @lozzaboy ....My John sprays the bowl with WD40 ,,squats down and just empties the bag down the side of the loo ..the nearer the opening of the bag is to the side of the bowl the less splashing and sploshing occurs ...initially when his stools were a bit thick we used to spray a little spray oil into the bag to stop pancaking He prefers his stools a bit runny to aid emptying so he eats plenty fruir and drinks a lot too ...
Cath

lozzaboy

Thanks very much for the scvice

Quote from @HopsiFAP:
Hi @lozzaboy I empty both my ileostomy and urostomy standing up as taught that way in hospital. I try and bend down towards the loo for less splashback and also put a little roll in the bowl pre emptying now too. I don’t think I could work it sitting down! Seems quite normal now 18 months later! Although I do feel a little like a boy with the urostomy but hey ho!

abergirl

Hi @lozzaboy ......my hubby used to empty his ileostomy bag standing up.....he found it impossible to do it sitting down! By the time of his reversal op he was good at minimising any splashes.....it wasn't a problem. Seems everyone finds the best way for themselves. ☺