Decembeard

Stage 4 bowel cancer

charleyb

Operation #4 ....The Reversal

Hello lovely people well today is the day that Charlie has his reversal. On the 31st of July last year his ileostomy was created, he was in hospital 10days without any food due to an ileus and at the time we thought this was the worst thing that could of happened. But over a year later and we are so very thankful he had his stoma, and see it as one of the reasons he has coped so well with treatment. Charlie has completely accepted his bag, and it hasn`t stopped him swimming (with it on display), going to the gym or going to work. Yes there have been a few embarrassing noises, and a couple of split bags, but he has laughed it off and carried on as normal. He has eaten normally, and had a few cheeky nights out to celebrate various milestones.
But as much as we have adapted and accepted this new addition, we are more than happy to see it gone. So last night he had one last bag change and by this evening fingers crossed 🤞🏻 he`ll have had a successful reversal.
Big love to everyone following our journey, its been a crazy ride, onwards and upwards x🙏🤞🏻❤️

Baxter2

Fantastic news @charleyb

Now for some proper rest and relaxation. He'll recover in no time I'm sure!

Lots of love

K💛💚💙💜❤️

HopsiFAP

Fantastic to hear he’s home safe ❤️ yes Scans on 11th fingers crossed 🤞 they’ll be fine xx

Quote from @charleyb:
Ha i love that you took a selfie with him @HopsiFAP !! And amazing you are back park running, just brilliant!! Is it your scans soon? Charlie is relaxing on the sofa as we speak! He managed the trip back (about 2hrs) with no accidents or stops. Hes had some soup and bread and so far so good, fingers crossed this continues

charleyb
Quote from @HopsiFAP:
Fantastic to hear he’s home safe ❤️ yes Scans on 11th fingers crossed 🤞 they’ll be fine xx

I thought they were soon!! fingers and toes crossed for you :x::x::x:

HopsiFAP

Thanks Lovely. I’ll let you know xx

Quote from @charleyb:
I thought they were soon!! fingers and toes crossed for you

charleyb

So today marks one week since the reversal, and i would say that good progress is being made. Charlie looks much better, and is moving around the house more, and has been out for a little walk each day. Hes eating very small amounts but that is getting a bit better each day. His bowel movements are still frequent, so around 8 times a day, and 3 times or so in the night. However he has control and can hold it till he gets to the toilet. The movements are a bit loose still but hopefully that will improve over time, and in two weeks if no better he can start to take loperamide.
His wound is open and is the purse string method so is being packed and flushed daily but is starting to heal. And he has had minimal pain.
Hoping by the weekend he will be eating more and going for longer walks to get his fitness back. :x::x::x:

Gypsy

I hope so too@charleyb! It's all sounding good so far.:x::x::x::x:

Catlover

Sounding good @charleyb he is doing fab and so well supported by you. Keep up the good work Charlie :x::x:

abergirl
Quote from @charleyb:
So today marks one week since the reversal, and i would say that good progress is being made. Charlie looks much better, and is moving around the house more, and has been out for a little walk each day. Hes eating very small amounts but that is getting a bit better each day. His bowel movements are still frequent, so around 8 times a day, and 3 times or so in the night. However he has control and can hold it till he gets to the toilet. The movements are a bit loose still but hopefully that will improve over time, and in two weeks if no better he can start to take loperamide.
His wound is open and is the purse string method so is being packed and flushed daily but is starting to heal. And he has had minimal pain.
Hoping by the weekend he will be eating more and going for longer walks to get his fitness back.

That all sounds marvellous @charleyb

Quote from @charleyb:
Hoping by the weekend he will be eating more and going for longer walks to get his fitness back.

That all sounds marvellous @charleyb. ...you are doing such a great job..and he is recovering so well. I have been thinking about you both and it's great to hear your news. Lots of love.:x::x:

abergirl

From @abergirl lol..don't know what I did there!! :x::x:

Sele2017

@charleyb what a great news to hear, sorry i am a bit slow lately and not on forum every day ! But was happy to hear your news, very encouraging. Sending all my best wishes to Charlie. :x::x:

charleyb

So today we have gone to just 2-3 movements and big movements. Is this normal to go back and fourth, any good tips to move things along? :x::x::x:

abergirl

@charleyb. ..my husband had the opposite experience. ..we couldn't slow it down.....everyone is different I find. The bowel is obviously working...and I guess he is eating more? Plenty of fluids...apple juice...and walking...it's such early days. He may have a day of frequent movements next..but you can always ring your link.nurse..they are so helpful and reassuring. Big hug.:x::x::x:

charleyb

Thankyou @abergirl he seems to just be very regular now and down to 1-4 times a day, no movements through the night!! We feel so lucky but also know this is early doors and may change. He has apple juice every day, and plenty of water, he has just started having his normal coffee (not caffeine free). He is seeing his surgeon next week so see what he says. :x::x::x:

abergirl
Quote from @charleyb:
Thankyou @abergirl he seems to just be very regular now and down to 1-4 times a day, no movements through the night!! We feel so lucky but also know this is early doors and may change. He has apple juice every day, and plenty of water, he has just started having his normal coffee (not caffeine free). He is seeing his surgeon next week so see what he says.

@charleyb that all sounds a bit of alright to me!! We are still up and down but mostly ok....I think age makes a big difference sometimes..Charlie deserves to have a great recovery and years ahead of him!! Enjoy. Fingers crossed a good report from him surgeon. Lots of love.xx@abergirl.

charleyb
Quote from @abergirl:
@charleyb that all sounds a bit of alright to me!! We are still up and down but mostly ok....I think age makes a big difference sometimes..Charlie deserves to have a great recovery and years ahead of him!! Enjoy. Fingers crossed a good report from him surgeon. Lots of love.xx@abergirl.

Thankyou and i`ll keep you posted!! @abergirl :x::x::x:

charleyb

Hi All, so Charlie met with his surgeon this week and he was over the moon with how its all going, bowel has really settled down and he has great control so touch wood so far no accidents or near misses. He snipped the stitch out so now the wound looks a little wider. I`m still dressing it myself and so far so good. My question is to those that had the purse string how long did it take for the hole to heal over? :x::x::x:

Clancy

Hi @CharlieB, brilliant news and long may it continue. I don’t know anything about the wound. I didn’t realise you were dressing the wound site yourself, I was going to suggest ask the district nurses. I bet you would make a really good nurse, you are very organised. Sending love.:x::x:

charleyb
Quote from @Clancy:
Hi @CharlieB, brilliant news and long may it continue. I don’t know anything about the wound. I didn’t realise you were dressing the wound site yourself, I was going to suggest ask the district nurses. I bet you would make a really good nurse, you are very organised. Sending love.

I`d make a dreadful nurse @Clancy zero patience!!! we had the district nurses in to start but its quite easy to do and hubby found it more annoying waiting in for them not knowing when in the day they would visit, now he feels better he wants to do things rather than stay in the house. I have mini kits all sealed up, with everything in so its pretty easy.
I was just wondering from anyone that had this kind of wound how long it took, we are 2.5 weeks in and its still quite open but definitely shallower so healing inside. :x::x::x: