Younger people with bowel cancer

kdan

The Rising Incidence of Early-Onset CRC

I'm not sure if this was posted yet but there's an article I found interesting about the increase in early onset CRC
Published: Tuesday, Jul 24, 2018
www.onclive.com/...hat-do-we-know-and-what-can-we-do

You may need to register for free and read. Not 100%

Some quotes from it

The study found that CRC rates have increased by 1.0% to 2.4% annually since the mid-1980s among adults aged 20 to 39 years and by 0.5% to 1.3% since the mid-1990s among adults aged 40 to 54 years.2 Subsequently, the proportion of CRC cases diagnosed in individuals younger than 50 years increased from 6% in 1990 to 11% in 2013, with the majority (72%) being in individuals in their 40s.1
“I’ve got a 17-year-old now and 20-, 30-, and 40-yearolds,” said John L. Marshall, MD, who served as moderator. Another panelist reported treating a patient as young as 16 years.
Eng concurred. “I think that it’s really important that people recognize that young patients can develop CRC and when they have symptoms, they need to be investigated. I think that’s being completely underrecognized, and a lot of people tell individuals, ‘It’s just a change in bowel habits,’ ‘You ate something wrong,’ or ‘It’s due to a hemorrhoid.’”
Marshall and Eng reported being involved in research aimed at determining which factors may be contributing to the dramatic rise in CRC among younger patients. “Maybe, just maybe, we’ll figure out some science that brings new stuff to the table that might affect screening or might tell us which yogurt to eat or whatever it will be to prevent the disease,” Marshall suggested.
Although there are no special treatment regimens for younger patients, some panelists indicated being a bit more aggressive in their approach. “In the metastatic disease setting, I will be more aggressive than normal on these young patients because their performance status is usually fairly good,” Eng said, noting she particularly favors using FOLFOXIRI (5-fluorouracil, leucovorin, oxaliplatin, irinotecan) in these patients. When deciding on the duration of adjuvant therapy (eg, 6 vs 3 months), she said she looks at all the usual data to make her decision.
The panelists agreed that it is important to discuss fertility preservation with young patients with CRC. “We don’t discuss that very much with our patients because usually they’re past those ages. But it’s becoming an increasing issue with banking, whether it’s for sperm [or eggs],” said Marshall.

I won't quote any more , but I think it's worth signing up to read! :D

determinedjoan

Thanx 4 posting.

Bear G

Hi @kdan
Thanks for posting this, very interesting read.

Just to let you know that Bowel Cancer UK has a major campaign called Never Too Young which aims to increase awareness of bowel cancer in younger people. I’m tagging @Jennifer Staff (Policy and Campa from the office for her to comment on the article (Jennifer, please retag if you’re not the right person).

Big hugs
Bear
:x::x:

1234annie

Really interesting. Thanks 4 posting Annie :x:

GD62

I think it's linked to Chernobyl disaster in the 80's all this early onset bowel cancer and got into European and UK food chain.

Sarah Morgan

I’ve recently joined “Shine Cancer Support Plus Ones” on Facebook. My husband was 43 when he was diagnosed with CRC but it appears that in the group the majority have partners with CRC in their 30s.

My father in law has also had CRC but in his late 60s. As a result my husband went through genetic testing but no genetic link was found.