General Discussion

xSazx

Colostomy Bags

Afternoon all. I. Just wanted to warn those who use colostomy bags. Don't be afraid to shop around and request samples because quite frankly I am gobsmacked that some companies are allowed to manufacture bags that simply don't do the job. You shouldn't settle for anything than the best. My husbands usual bags are fine (Coloplast) but I thought I'd try a new type. They arrived, looked fab (smaller than our usual ones) and my husband was excited to try one. The bag itself isn't the issue but it would certainly help if the adhesive worked!!! He couldn't get it to stick at all. He was so disappointed. He usually uses Coloplast bags and they stick really well. The ones that didn't stick at all are manufactured by Salts Healthcare and we tried the Confidence bag. Some of you may have had luck getting them to stick but we just wanted to share our disappointing experience.

GROBER

I switched to DANSAC when I developed a skin allergy to some Coloplast products
I still used the Coloplast releasing agent IIRC Some products seem more sensitive to skin surface prep than others
www.dansac.co.uk/en-GB/Products.aspx?sc_site=dansacuk

xSazx

@GROBER I'm going to check them out, thanks for the link. We do want to try some different ones in case hubby is missing out on an even better bag.

kitti

@xSazx I use dansac tre convex bags, they were fairly new out and the stoma nurse wanted me to try them. They seem to work well. I know you can order samples of coloplast products on the coloplast website. Hugs :x::x::x:

xSazx

That's great @kitti. We'll definitely give Dansac a try as GROBER mentioned them too. Some patients just aren't aware of the choices out there and I'd love to get more recommendations from other users. :x:

KatieR

We use Oakmed bags that you can empty rather than reapply every time they get full ...So we only need a new bag after a shower
So after the shower we make sure the skin is dry..we use stoma powder to absorb any damp skin and waft it off with a dry wipe never ever use baby wet wipes
Then we use an Oakmed Option Seal ....These are donut shaped and very sticky on both sides They stick onto the skin around the stoma and just the stoma peeps out
Then the stoma bag sticks over the seal and you firmly press all around the bags own stick flange Then we use the Brava Elastic Tapes by Coloplast They stick on over the edges of the bags own tape and re-enforce the seal and finally we have a belt that clips to the bag
John had his Colostomy on the 27th of March and by the end of april we had totally mastered the bag We get away in our campervan as often as we can and very rarely get leaks or problems at all John just puts a new one on after his shower We actually went to Yorkshire for three days and forgot the ‘ changing bag ‘
John absolutely rocks his bag He does not care if people want to see it and we collapse laughing when it does a massive raspberry at the most in opportune moments
Some people pull a face when / if the Colostomy word comes up ..like its disgusting or unpleasant..? We think that having your bum hole around the back where you cant see it or barely reach it is actually a bit of a design fault whereas having it on your tummy ..its easy to keep clean You dont have to run about looking for a toilet all the time and other thandonut and the banana the farts is no bother at all !
He also says he would rather have a Colostomy than Cancer. . .
Anyway I am going to try and post photos of the donut and the banana. !
Cath xx

KatieR

xSazx

Thanks @KatieR for your fabulous reply. I'm sitting in Specsavers laughing! Darling daughter is nudging me telling me to "be quiet" . Yes we have moments where 'Barry the bag' decides to speak at the most inopportune moments. And the noises are hilarious. We've had some right old laughs. It's interesting how many options are out there in terms of types of bags and how to apply them, empty them, change them etc etc. We've still got so much to learn. So glad John has embraced his bag so positively. Angus has too and I can't say I miss the noises he used to make pre stoma days 😜. Love and best wishes :x:

willow1265

@xSazx I use Holister.. ceraplus... i tried so many bags before, dansac and a few others that i cant rmeember.. they didnt stick well, and i had a skin reaction with the dansac bags and the ‘bananas’ they give you as extra stick! The holister ones i dont even know im wearing them they are so comfy.. BUT.. i have had a few leaks at night with them... it seems they all have some kind of issue :/

xSazx

Thank you @willow1265 That's another sample ordered. :x: