Decembeard

Life with bowel cancer

Polly 1

Living with a Hickman Line - any tips please?

C got his Hickman Line put in yesterday and they changed the dressings at the chemo unit this morning.
Bit traumatic yesterday as he tells me they struggled to get the line in - it was refusing to go all the way but apparantly a big shove did the trick in the end. It was a bit bloody as C is on aspirin so bleeds easily - hence the need for today's dressing change. The first of the stitches is due to come out at the planned chemo session next Wednesday all being well.
Just wondered if anyone has any tips on living with a Hickman Line. How do you cope with showers/bathing?

angelj

@Polly 1 glad to hear it’s fitted now, I hope C is okay. my OH had stitches removed yesterday no problem. Baths have been ok just taking care not to get wet :x:

Polly 1

Yes he's OK so far thanks @angelj just sore with a bit of a stiff neck.
We are so used to picc lines after all this time (over 6 years on and off) its a bit strange to have a dangling line!
He's now started reacting a bit to the tape used to hold the end against his chest so that will have to come off before it gets worse. Sterastrips should hopefully work. The wounds are covered with IV3000 which should be alright hopefully.
Good to hear your OH is coping OK

angelj

Hi @Polly 1 I hope they can change the tape soon then. My OH is ok but I can see a change in him today, the wearyness has started wants to lie down, can’t concentrate, feels agetated, sound familiar?

Polly 1

Hi @angelj that sounds about right. On Folfox C used to struggle on days 4, 5 and 6 on Folfiri it was 5, 6 and 7.
You may notice when you ask him something it takes him time to work it out. Even something as easy as ' do you want a cup of tea?'.
Definately no concentration. Main thing is to sleep when the fatigue hits.
C used to have 2 x Dexys on chemo day, 4 day 2, 4 day 3 and 2 on day 4 so by mid afternoon day 4 he had started to struggle. Its very hard but he will hopefully start to feel OK by the end of the weekend.
Keeping a diary will help him work out his 'good/better days' when he can plan a treat/something to look forward to.
:x:

Baxter2

Hi @Polly 1

When I had a Hickman, I used to roll the tube up and pop it into a little freezer bag with tie handles. I then stuck it upside down to my shoulder on same side with micropore tape. That way, I could shower easily and keep it all dry. 😉

Good luck!

K💚❤️💙💛💜

Polly 1

Thanks @Baxter2 will give it a go :x::x:

Polly 1

Managed to sort out the line for a bath. Using a small Ziploc plastic bag, place the line and end into the bag and carefully zip right up to the line so it holds in place. As @Baxter2 says sticking it to the shoulder with tape would work but C is using a lanyard clip attached to the rolled up bag and tied fairly tight round his neck thereby holding the bag high up and out of the way when he lies in the bath.