Life with bowel cancer

pippajane

Support belts with stoma

My stoma nurses haven’t mentioned wearing a belt for support but I’m getting concerned about the risk of a hernia developing
I’m only four weeks post surgery so is it usually something they will sort at the first clinic appointment
Any advice welcome
:x:

Mrs2017

Hi, my husband has developed a hernia, he was not given any advice about wearing a support belt until after the hernia appeared which was then to late so I would bring it up at your next appointment even if the nurse doesn’t mention it. All the best Chris :x:

Liriodendron345

Hello @pippajane. I was advised by my stoma nurse to wear ordinary light-medium control briefs all the time. She maintained that these could be used instead of the belt and so far and fingers crossed ............... take very good care, Kim :x:

kitti

Hi @pippajane I was given a band but then found stoma big knickers ( vanilla blush ladies level2/3 hernia support pantie girdle code VBLPGB6) were far far better and really comfy. I did also get a hernia support belt but thats mainly for riding horses etc. Hope that helps :x::x::x:

GD62

Hi @pippajane

Don't be shy I went on the stoma suppliers web site and ordered up everything knickers, belts and flange extender plasters just to make sure I don't shit myself at work. I must say the first month was leak and learn but for the majority of the time I have done well on holiday, full time work and recreation hardly leaking or shitting.

What is embarrassing is when your doing a consultation and the stoma starts gurgling like an old drain then lets a rip roaring trump. I look the patient straight in the eye with a straight face and say.....and you were saying.....let me have listen to your chest......they must think WTF was that.....

Positive healing :x::x::x:

Seashells

:D Oh @GD62 you made me laugh out loud! :D
My stoma is usually very well behaved, yours seems to have perfect comic timing.

sweetcheeks

@pippajane Geoff had a belt , but more of a leak prevention narrow one that clicked into bags ,
Unfortunately hw still has developed a hernia!!!! Nothing to do with his daughter asking him to push her car. Or lifting ridiculous amount of stuff for his local rugby club 😡
But am I to know!!! :x::x:
@GD62 , sorry but you have a great way with words 😂😂 :x::x:

pippajane

Thanks for all the advice and@GD62 for making me laugh even though it hurts!!
:x::x:

ElaineG

@GD62 your comment has given me and my family a good laugh tonight which at this difficult time for us is a real tonic 🤣👍:x: