Decembeard

Stage 4 bowel cancer

Wren17

Help: Criteria for radiotherapy ??

Hello,
As some of you might be aware from my post on taking a leap of faith, I have new reoccurrence on two lymph nodes. I was hoping radiotherapy could blast these two blighters as CT showed everything else to be clear. However, ive been told that i dont qualify for radiotherapy as my reoccurrence has occurred within 6 months post op.
I had somewhat naively assumed radiotherapy was down to amount and size of cancer as opposed to time-span of reoccurrence?
So i thought i would ask if anyone has any advice as im supposed to start Folfox next week which i didnt take to well last time round.
It's just never ending :x::x::x:

HH79

Hiya lovely @Wren17 so I would get GP to do 2nd opinion to Oxford not too far for you?? They do SABR & will review your scans T MDT :x::x::x:

ruthy

Hi @Wren17
I had radiotherapy for a lymph node recurrence 18 months ago. They did not want me to have it untill some time had passed with no other Mets appearing in other places. Chemo works on everything in the body but radiotherapy only works on the specific area being targeted, so Mets could be growing in other areas while you are having the radiotherapy.

As it was, I had recurrences 6 months after the radiotherapy, and found it so draining that if I could go back in time I would have done the chemo rather than radiotherapy for that recurrence.

You should go for a second opinion though, and/or talk it through with your oncologist again to put your mind at rest about your treatment plan. My oncologist once said to me: the treatment when you are first diagnosed is standard for everyone; once you have had a recurrence it's about trying to judge how the person's cancer will behave after different treatments and what is the best option for that person.

Wren17

Hi @Bear G thank you for the information, much appreciated. I will post question on the nurses section :x::x:

Wren17

Hi @HH79, ive made an appointment with GP will ask for second opinion. Thank you :x::x:

Wren17

Hi @ruthy, thank you for your reply and your experience it has helped. Guess its frustrating that we dont really know whats best until we have tried it :x::x::x:

Lexi

@Wren17 I am sorry you are having to go through this!! Sending you a big hug :x::x:

Wren17

Thank you @Lexi :x::x: