General Discussion

1234annie

PIP Assesment

I've got this tomorrow, deep joy! Has anyone else had one? Will they even know what our chemo does to your body? :x:

1234annie

Got my letter today @Polly 1 and they have taken pip away. I thought they had to give u 4 weeks notice before they removed it??

Polly 1

Oh dear @1234annie are you going to appeal?
Can I ask did you have the full award for daily living and mobility before or the lower daily living only? Just wondered if they had dropped you one stage or two in one go, seems very unfair anyway. Definately worth an appeal I think. Do they give you the number of points - did you only just miss it perhaps you can give them more info to up it a bit.
We havnt heard anything yet but there again for us it's only been about a month.
Thanks for letting me know :x:

Karen17

That seems so unfair @1234annie when neuropathy can affect so many everyday activities.
Good to hear you're enjoying your new job and they're being understanding :x::x:

1234annie

I was on full award for everything. So I've not dropped down they have just taken it away all together. They have not taken into account any of my mental health issues as I am under the clinical psychologist. It's shocking really. I think I will apeal just to remind them of what Ive been though!! I don't think you can actually see how someone is from a 30 min appointment so I will put all my comments in a letter to them. :x:

terri m

Hi @1234annie .. I was on chemotheraphy for my stage 3 bowel cancer, feeling rotton ect.. I was assessed during this time & didn't get awarded a penny.. Macmillan appealed. But to no avail I still was turned fown by 2 points.... To be honest. I think if you are a stage 4 & you are having ongoing treatment, you should automatically be entitled to it... You may find it difficult to apoeal. Unless you have strong evidence thsat you ate struggling to do anything. This may include that you are working.. Maybe worth a try fir you to apoeal. But I would say you wete one of the lucky ones to have this benefit while it lasted :x::x::x::x:

AMM31

Hi @1234annie
Sorry to read this. I was also stage 3, had full Pip for both components, awarded for 2 years without interview or phone call. After 1 year review, interview, and stopped completely.
My rep at Maggies submitted a Reconsideration letter, but to no avail. He said I only needed 2 points to go for the lower rate of daily living. I didn’t bother going for the full appeal, as didn’t feel it was worth the stress, as I was feeling a lot better. Seems a 2 year award is often stopped after the 1 year review.
:x::x:

1234annie

I'm not going to apeal but I am going to write a letter to them explaining exactly how my cancer and my treatment has affected my life. I needed help showering and eating on chemo and for a good while after as my hands were so damaged. I couldn't have gone to the interview as I was so poorly so I'm glad I didn't have too. I think I actually told them that on the phone. At one point I couldnt even wipe my own bottom or dress myself. It sucks that people with stage 4 have to go to a bloody interview and then get turned down or reduced rate. I think doctors should be making decisions rather than someone behind a desk. ❤

KarenE

My hubby didn’t get any PIP at all. He is stage 4 and this time last year he was in a wheelchair after having his pulmonary embolisms. It was due to our lack of knowledge as I didn’t know anything about it. We tried applying for a blue badge for was of parking with the wheelchair. During the process it said that he would automatically get one if he was claiming PIP. I asked at the GP’s how to claim and was told he could only be entitled if he had less than six months to live. I now know that they were talking about something else, but at the time accepted what I was told. I would definitely make sure I know what we’re entitled to if it ever comes to it again.

Polly 1

Just to keep things updated - following a very stressful face to face interview my husband was awarded basic daily living PIP for 3 years in 2016 with re-assessment after 2 years.

As noted in my comments above we filled in the 2 year re-assessment forms and returned them to DWP as requested mid December last year. We got a text in February to say they were looking at them and finally heard today by letter that he has to have another face to face in just over a week's time.

Being on permanent palliative chemo I thought he might not have to have another face to face assessment but no...... :(

bettebette

For goodness sake @Polly 1 it’s almost impossible to understand the system/their logic.
I thought I had read somewhere recently that they were making some changes to this... ?

Polly 1

No I thought that @bettebette he's just 62 with state pension (hopefully) at 66.

Thanks for the link. They don't reassess attendance allowance for over 65's (as far as I know) so I was surprised they would reassess PIP after pension age anyway?????

bettebette

Sorry it wasn’t appropriate @Polly 1.
I receive ESA and changes are coming there too I gather, however I suspect the government are rather busy doing other things at the moment!
It had seemed that anyone was fair game so I suppose it’s good to know that over 65s are to be left alone, but no value to your OH. I hope the interview is not too depressing and it is just protocol. :x:

GD62

I had PIP assessment at home, bunch of fXXXckers all smiling back stabbing dicks lolx

Polly 1

No sorry @bettebette I wasn't complaining or saying it wasn't appropriate (thanks very much for posting it 🙂) I was just having a moan as I didnt realise there had been a difference between the way DWP treated AA & PIP after 65.
Unfortunately, as you say, the government have a lot of work to do on other things atm and I am surprised they had time to make this over 65 announcement anyway.
We both found the PIP assessment very depressing last time....and after the continued questioning on what he actually does all day after she said 'is that all' -I did say - 'yes we do lead a very boring life!'
...and yes @GD62 I agree!!!! :x::x:

bettebette

Fingers crossed for the wretched assessment @Polly 1 🤞:x::x:

Polly 1

Thank you @bettebette he will have his pump still attached on the day of his home assessment so I can't even guarantee he will stay awake long enough to talk to them for over an hour if its like last time

Seashells

I'm sure there was an announcement on the news yesterday about people over pension age no longer needing to be re-assessed for PIP. From what I've read above they can't get PIP anyway so what's that all about?

1234annie
Quote from @KarenE:
My hubby didn’t get any PIP at all. He is stage 4 and this time last year he was in a wheelchair after having his pulmonary embolisms. It was due to our lack of knowledge as I didn’t know anything about it. We tried applying for a blue badge for was of parking with the wheelchair. During the process it said that he would automatically get one if he was claiming PIP. I asked at the GP’s how to claim and was told he could only be entitled if he had less than six months to live. I now know that they were talking about something else, but at the time accepted what I was told. I would definitely make sure I know what we’re entitled to if it ever comes to it again.

I claimed PIP full award, I was having curative treatment for stage 3?? You have to have the illness for 3 months before claiming that's all. :x:

1234annie
Quote from @GD62:
I had PIP assessment at home, bunch of fXXXckers all smiling back stabbing dicks lolx

Have you had a reply yet? I contested it a few months ago but still heard nothing yet. :x: