Share your top tops on diet + lifestyle for our new booklet.
Find out more here.

Wellness during and after treatment

Acre71

Low residue, low fibre, vegetarian 😱 Help!

Hi all
OK, so 5 months post high anterior resection (no stoma), and having listened to the advice of you lovely people, in order to ease the exhausting constipation / diarrhoea cycle I am trying to stick to a low fibre diet.

This is really hard as I don't eat red meat and not really keen on chicken and since my op I can't really eat beans and lentils or too many veggies etc. All this has made cooking meals very hard!

I do eat fish and sea food but need some variety. I love vegetables but am finding them difficult to digest.

Can anyone suggest any websites or recipe books for this kind of diet? All ideas welcome.

Thank you 😁😁😁

bettebette

Hello @Acre71 I have a very similar problem, I am a veggie (no fish either) and have a mad salicylate allergy (salicylate is mainly found in veg and fruit!)
Legumes (previously a mainstay) are impossible 😳
The one thing I have learnt is to cook any veggies much more than I would have previously (green beans, french beans, beetroot and celery (cooked very, very well in the case of celery) form a great part of my diet. Also peeling practically everything reduces the fibre but means you can still eat veg; fruit seems to be trickier, fructose seems to cause a lot of aches and pains 😳 so no fruit juice either (even before I consider the salicylate 😐)
Anyway this doesn’t actually answer your query re recipes etc. My last resort is soups, smooth if my stomach is ‘delicate’ and chunky-ish if not.
I had a so-called stir fry today with couscous but cooked to almost a soft consistency
If I find the magic solution I will let you know (and would be pleased if you do the same for me!)
With best wishes x

Ps. I might be telling you the obvious, but a squeeze of lemon juice on your green veg adds VitC and also helps you absorb the iron.

Acre71

Thank you @bettebette, some useful ideas. I will let you know if I find the solution to all our problems!! 😀

Kareno62

Hi @Acre71. A lot of people with illeostomy follow a low fibre diet initially so if you type 'recipe' into the search field at the top of the page it will bring up previous posts with some suggestions :x:

Lizalou

@Acre71 @bettebette
Just another suggestion....have a look at the FODMAP diet to see if you can identify which fruit and veg trigger problems and which ones are more easily tolerated.
My circumstances were different to yours, having an ileostomy, but it worked for me. For example, apples and onions are a disaster, but peppers and oranges are fine. I am also safer on lactose free milk.

Good luck

bettebette
Quote from @Lizalou:
@Acre71 @bettebette
Just another suggestion....have a look at the FODMAP diet to see if you can identify which fruit and veg trigger problems and which ones are more easily tolerated.
My circumstances were different to yours, having an ileostomy, but it worked for me. For example, apples and onions are a disaster, but peppers and oranges are fine. I am also safer on lactose free milk.

Good luck

Thank you @Lizalou 🙂
I am lactose free too although I miss ‘real’ milk! :x:

Seashells

@Acre71 I've been eating more eggs and bananas to slow things down which helps when salads and greens have had the opposite effect. I also struggle with dairy but discovered that frozen chunks of banana whipped up in a blender taste just as creamy as ice cream and feel like a real treat even though nothing naughty has been added. :x:

Freckles50

Hi, I found that some foods (beetroot, sweet corn, citrus, apples) when reintroduced went through like a dose of salts on the first couple of occasions and then were fine. I know we all seem to differ but just thought I’d mention it. Good luck @Acre71 :x::x:

OFJ

I've found red onions are better than brown, and can only tolerate a tiny amount now. Raw veg are a definite no no, I had a spoonful of coleslaw at 5.45pm yesterday and a bit later, was on and off the loo until 3am - it was nice coleslaw but I will try and remember the price I've paid lol. I peel cucumber and apples and eat a banana most days. I am lactose and gluten intolerant and rarely eat eggs as they give me grief too. I have LARS but had a high resection and no stoma. It is a pain but I'm still happy and grateful to still be here :)