Decembeard

Life with bowel cancer

bettebette

A good article to raise awareness as you say @Adnyl.

I was 55 when I was diagnosed and was told I was “relatively young” so bowel cancer was unlikely 😳

*I wish someone would suggest I am “relatively young” now - although for something nicer! :x::x:

Adnyl
Quote from @bettebette:
A good article to raise awareness as you say @Adnyl.

I was 55 when I was diagnosed and was told I was “relatively young” so bowel cancer was unlikely 😳

*I wish someone would suggest I am “relatively young” now - although for something nicer!

I'm 56 but had the screening test picked it up earlier i could have been 52 or 54 :x:

Baxter2

Thanks for posting @Adnyl! Sadly, an all too familiar tale!

K💛💜💚💙❤️

bettebette

@Adnyl my surgeon has told me that I had probably had the cancer for 10 years, so the introduction of the tests at 50 is a step forward :x:

Adnyl

@bettebette in Scotland we have it from 50, this was my 4th test. What my surgeon said was that the screening test only picks up 50% of cancers, which I hadn't realised ... I was lulled into a false sense of security and dismissed what I have retrospectively realised were symptoms :x::x:

Apparently a tumour can take up to 10 years up develop yes :x:

terri m

Hi @Adnyl .. I was diagnosed at 54.. Had all the poo test ect 😋everything normal.. I can remember has clear has can be the GP. Saying to me. "You dont look like a,lady sitting in front of me with bowel cancer" . I had this out with her recently.. (Not my GP thank god) .. I was told like yourselves that my tumour was prob there for 10 years prior... It makes me wonder why does it take so long to make its ugly appearance. & with no symptoms. Very bizzare.. Thought I was too young for this crap, but since joining this fab forum it makes me realise I am not young compared to some on here. Onwards& up for us all xx😘

bettebette

@terri m and @Adnyl I had no idea the FOB ‘poo’ tests were only right 50% of the time 😳
@Bear G do you have any statistics about this? I am quite shocked.

Bear G

Hi @bettebette
No stats I’m afraid but I think it’s that this is a screening test rather than a diagnostic test.

The FOB detects if there’s any blood in the poo, whatever the cause. Therefore it’s only positive if there’s actually some bleeding when the sample is taking.

The key thing is that this screening test can flag a concern before symptoms appear, that’s how it saves lives and why reducing the screening age to 50 was so important - that covers something like 95% of Bowel cancer.

Does that help answer your question?
:x::x:

bettebette

@Bear G thank you, yes I suppose the definition is all important, it’s a screening test not a diagnostic one.
Thank you - yes it does answer my question. :x::x: