Relatives and friends

milo

Picc line

Hi since I last posted we have had to see oncologist before our planned appointment on 31st Oct . My hubby was struggling to eat at all without being sick and belly button growing larger by the day and discharge was awful. Dressings struggling to cover area. He was so worn out he slept for more hours than he was awake most days , including our 30th wedding anniversary. Oncologist gave us more anti sickness tablets and cancelled last 2 chemo treatments . Changed treatment plan to 12 sessions of Folfiri using picc line over 6 month period . Not had picc line previously as a concerned wife I am worried about infection am I worrying needlessly ?

Salgal

Hi @milo please don’t worry about infection with a PICC Line, the hospital keep the area well and truly cleaned and flushed and check for any irritation. This is done every 7 days so a close eye is kept on it. I’ve not encountered any problems with mine, I am on 6 mths Folfox chemo (6 more to go) and it’s a godsend much love :x::x::x:

Lirio345

Hi @milo, so sorry to hear how poorly your husband has been. PICC lines have many advantages over a cannula particularly if veins are becoming more and more difficult to access. The dressing will need to be changed and checked every week (normally by the hospital or District nurses). Yes there is a small risk of infection, but there are with many of the procedures that cancer patients have to undergo. If there was to be an infection it would be treated immediately with antibiotics. I suspect you might be worrying because your stress levels are understandably high at the moment. PICC lines are frequently used for chemo, take very good care, Kim :x::x:

milo

Thank you , for your reassurance , you are right about my stress levels being high. My mum who is 93 on 7th November has Alzheimer's and had recently been diagnosed with a abdominal aortic aneurysm, so I am struggling to cope . My 2 year old golden retriever Milo keeps giving me hugs so that helps . So pleased I found this forum :x::x:

Lirio345

This forum is brilliant @milo. You are dealing with such a lot, I really feel for you. Have you found the Relative to Relative section (under topics). If you haven’t you may want to ask to join; it is a closed section that I know relatives find really supportive, take very good care, Kim :x::x:

milo

PICC line was not completed today because my husband's veins unfortunately we're not behaving,... chemo damage apparently the cause. After four tries it was decided a Hickman line will have to be done. Then a blood test to check clotting only managed to fill half the phial so we have to go to outpatient department at main hospital tomorrow for a blood test. We have to wait now to be informed of date for Hickman line which is going to hold up chemo which should be starting this Thursday 8th .Really draining day and very frustrating for everyone involved the oncology staff were brilliant so supportive. I felt so sorry for my lovely hubby I had reassured him PICC line would be good, after the feedback I had from lovely forum members and then it wasn't through nobody's fault ....And so the rollercoaster ride continues. .I feel much better now I have got that off my chest . Love and hugs to everyone :x::x:

Lirio345

Oh no how frustrating for you both @milo, I do hope the Hickman line can be fitted pretty quickly. Delaying chemo by a short time will not make any difference to the outcome, but i know it is very very hard to accept psychologically. Please stay in touch, Kim :x::x::x:

determinedjoan

Oh poor u; so soz 2 hear about your Mum’s health problems too. Thinking of u & sending love 💗 & hugs 🤗 :x:

milo
Quote from @Lirio345:
Oh no how frustrating for you both @milo, I do hope the Hickman line can be fitted pretty quickly. Delaying chemo by a short time will not make any difference to the outcome, but i know it is very very hard to accept psychologically. Please stay in touch, Kim

Thank you Kim , I know that Folfiri I had prolonged the life of so many lovely people like yourself and I am desperate for it to work it's magic on my lovely hubby. A.S.A.P he is struggling with the outward appearance of his belly button which is growing rapidly since chemo finished. Thank you for your support you are such an inspirational person to have on our journey into the unknown . :x::x::x::x::x:

milo
Quote from @determinedjoan:
Oh poor u; so soz 2 hear about your Mum’s health problems too. Thinking of u & sending love 💗 & hugs 🤗

Thank you i feel so blessed to have such support from people who really do understand what we are going through. Love and hugs :x::x:

Polly 1

Hi @milo my husband has had a picc line on and off for 6 years. He started suffering skin problems where the picc line dressings went after having Cetuximab so they recently moved him over to a Hickman line and he is much happier.

He has had 4 picc lines altogether over the years. They had trouble trying to get one of them in as it just wouldn't go through so in the end they used his other arm and that went in OK. He is due to have his third treatment via Hickman line tomorrow.

They organised the picc line to come out, the Hickman line to go in and chemo treatment within a few days so I dont think it should cause much of a delay for your husband's treatments either.

Anything you want to know about them just ask. Photos too if you want them!

All the best :x::x:

milo
Quote from @Polly 1:
Hi @milo my husband has had a picc line on and off for 6 years. He started suffering skin problems where the picc line dressings went after having Cetuximab so they recently moved him over to a Hickman line and he is much happier.

He has had 4 picc lines altogether over the years. They had trouble trying to get one of them in as it just wouldn't go through so in the end they used his other arm and that went in OK. He is due to have his third treatment via Hickman line tomorrow.

They organised the picc line to come out, the Hickman line to go in and chemo treatment within a few days so I dont think it should cause much of a delay for your husband's treatments either.

Anything you want to know about them just ask. Photos too if you want them!

All the best

Thank you so much for your support and reassurance , It means so much to have advice who understand what my family are going through. Love and gentle hugs :x::x::x:

Polly 1

Hi @milo just seen your other post about the timing of a pre hickman blood test. C had his blood test on 2nd Oct and Hickman line procedure the next day on 3rd. Obviously I guess they need the test done as close as possible to make sure levels are OK. In C's case he was mid cycle of a chemo treatment so the best time to fit everything in.
You can always ring your chemo unit and ask them

milo
Quote from @Polly 1:
Hi @milo just seen your other post about the timing of a pre hickman blood test. C had his blood test on 2nd Oct and Hickman line procedure the next day on 3rd. Obviously I guess they need the test done as close as possible to make sure levels are OK. In C's case he was mid cycle of a chemo treatment so the best time to fit everything in.
Quote from @Polly 1:

Thanks for that info :x::x::x::x:

milo

Update

Quote from @Polly 1:

Update on Hickman line we had to wait 2 weeks for Hickman line in that space of time nodule more than doubled in size . Hubby has third treatment of Folfiri on 3/1/19 it is reducing nodule so hopefully it is reducing other tumours as well. :x::x:

Wren17

Hi@milo glad to hear chemo is working and hope you both have a happy new year :x::x:

Sam67

Hello all, Just joined you all and My husband is having a PICC line fitted on Monday, and starting chemotherapy on Tuesday, so all new to us.