Share your top tops on diet + lifestyle for our new booklet.
Find out more here.

Wellness during and after treatment

pippajane

There is normal life after cancer and APR operation with permanent stoma

Just wanted to post some positive news for anyone who is just beginning their terrifying cancer journey.
Just 10 weeks ago I had an APR operation for low rectal cancer aged 66.
I was diagnosed after a first visit to the GP just four weeks before, my world collapsed!
Removal of sigmoid colon, anus, rectum , and”bum cheeks “ sewn up plus creation of a permanent stoma , life looked a bit bleak...
Post op histology results were good and I know I was very lucky ,in that by opting for major surgery the cancer was contained and removed before it could spread.
10 weeks on, I am pain free, driving again and energy levels are returning, although I’m still in bed early most nights!
The stoma has become routine and really isn’t a big deal, for me it was a question of acceptance and moving on.
None of us really know what the future holds and there will always be anxiety when scan and review dates come round again in the coming months and years.
A new normal life can be just as good if not even better , I certainly have a different approach to the future now .
My son is getting married on Friday so I have my first weekend away....
It’s a long road and very frightening but sometimes there is a positive outcome
:x::x::x::x:

penjay1902

Hi @pippajane. I needed to read something like this today. After several different appointments and tests and treatment it looks like I might be facing the same operation. I will know in the next week or so. Thanks so much for posting- it’s reassuring to know that life can go back to a relative ‘normal’. I might have lots of questions for you in the next week or so. Thanks you. :x::x:

pippajane

Please feel free to ask away
It’s a frightening journey and I know there were lots and lots of things I know now which would have helped in the early days
:x::x:

Lirio345

A lovely, reflective post @pippajane, and I am so pleased to hear how well things are going. Have a brilliant time at your son’s wedding, Kim :x::x:

penjay1902

Thanks @pippajane . Have a great time at your sons’s wedding. :x::x:

Salgal

Nice read @pippajane, I have a permanent colostomy performed end May, it quickly just became the norm and part of me 👍🏻 Enjoy your Sons Wedding :x::x:

pippajane

Thank you@salgal

Yvonne

That’s a great post @pippajane. My op was 31/10 and my expectations are very low at this stage. I’m happy to see marginal improvements at this stage with my eLAPE and find your post totally inspiring. I know there’s a rainbow (if not a few) at the end of this very long road. I’m so happy you’re going to your son’s wedding. Have a great day. Well done you. Big hugs. :x::x:

bettebette

Well done @pippajane 😀 what great news! Have a lovely time at your son’s wedding and very best wishes to you all 💒 🎉 💗

pippajane

@Yvonne
It really will improve just hang in there
Thank you for your kind wishes xx

Quote from @bettebette:
Well done @pippajane 😀 what great news! Have a lovely time at your son’s wedding and very best wishes to you all 💒 🎉 💗
Quote from @Lirio345:
A lovely, reflective post @pippajane, and I am so pleased to hear how well things are going. Have a brilliant time at your son’s wedding, Kim
Quote from @Yvonne:
That’s a great post @pippajane. My op was 31/10 and my expectations are very low at this stage. I’m happy to see marginal improvements at this stage with my eLAPE and find your post totally inspiring. I know there’s a rainbow (if not a few) at the end of this very long road. I’m so happy you’re going to your son’s wedding. Have a great day. Well done you. Big hugs.

Clancy

What a lovely positive post @pippajane, sounds like nothing will hold you back now. Have a fab time at your son’s wedding.:x::x:

pippajane

Thank you :x::x:

snowsister

@pippajane you were my inspiration, buddy and friend when I faced this exact operation 4 weeks ago.... you buddy ‘d me..... I will buddy anyone... it’s terrifying and ok at the same time..... because it can be a cure..... it might need more treatments but it’s so much better that the the alternative..... please we are here.... chat here or private message either of us if this is your story ....we may be able to help.😘

ElaineG

What a fantastic post @pippajane, so good to hear such positivity. Have a fantastic time at the wedding ❤️❤️

pippajane

Thank you will do
Hope you and Chris are ok :x::x:

ElaineG

Thanks @pippajane Chris is doing alright, just a few minor issues with his Stoma and still bothered by neuropathy in his feet. We are busy supporting my brother after the recent sudden death of his wife so haven't too much time to dwell which is a good thing. 😀:x::x:

shazsilverwolf

@pippajane, this is good to hear. I had pretty much the same op, in '15, with the addition of tailbone removal as my tumour had attached itself to it. I also now have a permanent catheter, as nerve damage left me with no bladder sensation. As you say, life is different, but it goes on. Hugs, Shaz