Stage 4 bowel cancer

GD62

My Letter to MP about being declined NHS pension

Dear Paul Maynard MP

I applied for early retirement under grounds of ill health from the NHS and it has been rejected as they have insufficient evidence that my condition is not permanent and I had been working.

Firstly, I continued to work as I am not entitled to social security benefits and the alternative would have been living on what savings I have.

Secondly, regarding the temporary nature of my cancer which is stage 4 bowel cancer which has a five year survival of ten per cent. Therefore, my permanent state being terminally ill is simply death,

At the moment I am off work after an operation with no sick pay, just PIP and my own savings, as a former army officer who does not like to ask for help.

I would think that stage four cancer should be sufficient grounds to receive early retirement, as I have tried to avoid state benefits by working with great difficulty while having chemotherapy and now being punished for trying to have some self respect as not everyone wants to depend on the state.

Regards

KatieR

It’s terrible @GD62 You would think the NHS Would be more knowledgeable and understanding......
Cath :x::x:

GD62

Hi @KatieR you may well think that but things ain't what they appear as an employee. I used to work for the co-op for a few years and being a Labour councillor thought that they would treat their staff fairly, but they were shower of bar stewards that anyone would ever want to be employed by. lolx :)

Gypsy

Dear @GD62. Well, let's hope that your MP takes this up as he blooming well should! The situation is utterly shocking and like you say, being punished for 'keeping on keeping on' as Ivan says.
Love Gypsyxx

GD62

Hi @Gypsy thanks for that contacted the union who were sympathetic but crap, and suggested I come off my professional register which I said is a a fXXX brilliant idea, then I'll have no profession, job, cancer and no potential income and ensuing destitution. WTF I may have god better advice asking my Aunty Betty,.....lolx

But Macmillan have been very good and professional...:x:

bettebette

@GD62 if you haven’t sent your letter you might want to add what you would like the MP to do, you have told him the facts and your opinion, do you want him to intervene/take up your case/meet with you/contact your employer...
It might seem obvious but in my experience it’s not - it often has to be spelt out 😳

GD62

Thanks @betterbette but I know him well and he will get back to me anyway, and he is quite good and not as obtuse as some, ta

bettebette

👍🏻

jean

Hope something can be done @GD62. They take your money and when you need it they say no. Bloody awful but unfortunately typical. Good luck you can beat them :x::x::x:

KatieR

Hello @GD62 How is 2019 going ?
Cath :x::x:

GD62

Hi @KatieR well bought a new car as our current one is ten years old, going to Rome next month and had too much booze last night but don't drink too often. My pension is in limbo and getting a CT scan on 18th January. Get a bit paranoid about twinges, pains and niggles, but generally just plodding on regardless and still working....lolx Hope you are well :x:

angepange

Have you had a reply from MP @GD62 ? My friend had an issue with medical retirement from probation service. She was not terminal though and it didn’t involve cancer, however, we encouraged her to complain to the public service pension ombudsman, which she did. They took her case and took the complaint. She is now on the point of getting her full pension at the age of 55 on medical grounds. Have you contacted that ombudsman? It may be worth a shot?:x:

GD62

Hi @angepange I have to go through the NHS pension appeals procedure before the ombudsman will consider my case, just waiting for an appointment with my GP to discuss sending a letter and could not get an appointment until 14th January so I have had to wait 4 weeks for this appointment. :x::x:

angepange

Ah ok. Keep us posted. We are willing you on @GD62 :x:

GD62

cheers @angepange :)

george1960

Good luck surely they must see logic. Do you not get an army pension? Or could you apply. Keep us informed :x:

Baxter2

Good grief you really are up against it @GD62!! I can't believe you have to wait for 4 weeks for a GP appointment! That seems pretty unacceptable to me!!

My heart goes out to you but honestly, still love your humour even with all of this going on!!

Lots of love

Karen💚💛💙❤️💜

GD62

Hi @Baxter2 well there you go, if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't know what fricken luck was lolx. That said, I have been enjoying life and working part time at the walk in centre and in chemists quite well really, and it's been great but just waiting for my six monthly scan on 18th January. I said to my partner 2018 had been a really positive year, and he said, Gerry it's been a fricken terrible year, so just shows you how people experience things differently. So my partner has found it hard, but I have not found it too bad. Anyway staying positive and hope and pray fro the best xxx :)

Baxter2

You're a real shining star @GD62!

Lots of love

Karen💚💛💜💙❤️