Decembeard

Life with bowel cancer

ch7091

Post chemo results

I went to see the oncologist today for my post mop-up chemo check up hoping to get signed off. She said everything looked good from the scans but that she wanted to check a few things before she discharged me. She said that there were signs of infection on my lung and she wants to 'triple check' it's cleared before she signed me off. She also wanted to check my liver bloods as they were a bit raised before my last chemo cycle which she said was common. When I looked at the blood form afterwards it was requesting CEA! So although she was reassuring and said these things were very common, I am scared stiff it's now spread to my lungs.

bettebette

I have been through this too @ch7091 my cea remains raised despite the thoracic consultant saying he was happy that the inflammation in my lungs wasn’t indicative of mets. However an elevated cea can be caused (at a low level) by a lung infection.
Try to think of it as just that ‘a triple check’. The blood results don’t usually take long so try to be positive until then. Best wishes :x::x:

Bear G

Hi @ch7091
Please try not to worry. Many doctors routinely check CEA levels. The rest of what she’s doing is very good clinical practice, she’s taking good care of you!
If she was worried it’d spread to your lungs it’s highly unlikely she’d have spoken about discharging you. - your scans look good and that’s the most important thing!
Big hugs
Bear
:x::x:

charleyb

@ch7091 they request cea for all my hubbys bloods so try not to read into this it could well be routine. Charlies liver was also very upset during and after chemo, and still stayed upset 3 months after chemo, only at the 6 month scans did the bloods show it had gone back to normal, we were told this is very normal.
As said above she wouldn`t be looking to sign you off if there was spread to the lungs, if its an infection hopefully a round of antibiotics will clear it up. Big hugs :x::x::x:

1234annie

Try not to worry, my CEA was checked throughout chemo and raises to 3.8 at the last cycle. My oncologist said it was also normal because you liver gets stressed trying to get rid of all the chemo, she said it would drop back down by the next blood test 3 months later and it did. Sending hugs. :x: :x: :x:

ch7091

Thanks everyone She did ask me today if I had been unwell when I had my scans. I said no at the time, but have since remembered I was actually so poorly the week before my scan that I nearly ended up in hospital, so fingers crossed that explains the apparent infection on my lungs!

bettebette

It would be frivolous to say hurrah that you recall you were poorly the week before your scan @ch7091 - but you get the idea 😉😊
:x::x:

ch7091
Quote from @bettebette:
It would be frivolous to say hurrah that you recall you were poorly the week before your scan @ch7091 - but you get the idea 😉😊

😂. My husband did tell me I'd been poorly, but I bit his head off and insisted I hadn't. It was only when I re read through my messages I had sent I remembered how ill I had actually been. Fingers crossed my CEA has dropped a bit next week and then I will be a happy girl. This is a hard journey when you have very young children to worry about.

bettebette

@ch7091. It’s very odd, we have to remember and hold on to the strangest of things.
This is a hard journey, I can’t imagine how you (and the other people on here with young children) manage. Keep your chin up and fingers crossed 🤞 for next week. Sleep well :x:

1234annie

It is awful when you have young kids @ch7091, you worry for them....not you. :x: :x: