Share your experiences and help shape the services we offer in the future. Click here to take part in our survey today.

Life beyond bowel cancer

LIDA

CEA

I have just read a few messages in the topics. I have had to have another scan and colonoscopy because my CEA reading was higher than normal after my chemo etc. I think mine was something like 6. My oncologist has said this could be a number of things including the chemo , the operation, but it is another worry for me. Can anyone shed any light on this subject.

Chelts

6 is VERY slightly above the norm. Up to 5 is normally accepted.
I'm surprised you were sent for another scan with this reading. Have your CEAs been stable until now??
My onc. only sent me for a scan when he could see a rising trend in my CEA levels, which slowly increased over a number of months.

bettebette

Hi @LIDA if you type Cea into the search box (the magnifying glass 🔍 at the top) it will offer you all of the previous posts on the topic.
I have commented several times because my cea is 28 - despite a Ned scan in Oct.
There are some odd posts so I would ignore any that seem to go round and round.
I was told that my team like the cea to be <10 and preferably lower (as @Chelts says) It seems that a rising trend of results (level) is what causes concern.
Best wishes

LIDA

I know very little about my CEA tests I don’t even know if I am still been tested as far as I know when I have my bloods taken the CEA is not mentioned and I cannot tell if they are testing for it.I would imagine they are. Ive had 2 scans this year it. I have had one Colonoscopy since my operation last year that was 5 weeks ago they found 1 polyp it was a big one so I am actually going to have to go in again for another Colonoscopy to get rid. I gather soon. All these things were ordered when they found my CEA levels were raised.
I am going away for a little holiday so this will be when I get back the week coming up to Christmas.I try not to dwell on it as it is scary.I will have a look and see what it says about the CEA. One good thing about all this when I was first diagnosed my feet didn’t touch the ground so to speak , now its a slower pace between things thank goodness.I hope that that is telling me I will be OK .. Thank you All Lida

bettebette

Hi @LIDA it is difficult not to worry about everything and anything.
Enjoy your holiday 🙂 :x::x:

Hans

@LIDA = I don't think CEA is really the be All and end all - as it can go up during or after chemo as well as inflammation etc.. Sometimes it never changes - I know someone whose CEA was 0.5 despite the cancer coming and going etc. So at this time I wouldn't worry - just enjoy the season.
Have a lovely Christmas
Hans :x:

Chelts

A CEA level of 6 shouldn't be anything to worry about. Your oncologist will be monitoring it to see if it progressively rises as this would be a sign of something not quite right.

angepange

My CEA was over 5 during chemo @LIDA . I was worried about it like you. Fortunately, despite my fretting, it was fine. Chemo can fiddle about with the rate I think. The team were a little concerned, but it was all ok. :x::x::x:

DianeS

Hi @LIDA for some people CEA is a good indivator but for some it is not accurate. As others have said 6 is only just higher than the normal reading of 5, and chemo can definitely make the reading go up and down. Try not to worry and stay away from any Google sites. Have a good Christmas and I hope you can put this at the back of your mind. Love Diane :x::x:

LIDA

Thank You to all for reply ’s. And Happy and Healthy New Year to everyone.. Had a nice Christmas after my holiday ..I go in tomorrow 4th Jan to have the Polyp taken away . I did look at my diary to see if I had been tested for CEA again. But I haven’t had another since that last reading last June. Possibly might have one now ?? when polyp has gone. Lida..

terri m

Hi @LIDA .. Hope everything goes well tomorrow.. I have my follow up colonoscopy next friday... Dreading the special diet before hand & that bloody awful prep... Good luck :x::x::x::x:

GD62

Hi @LIDA wishing you all the best for tomorrow :x:

DianeS

Wishing you all the very best of luck for tomorrow @LIDA hope all goes well for you, Diane :x::x: